The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Can't believe you fall for this stuff so easily.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    rjsterry said:

Can't believe you fall for this stuff so easily.

What part of "promising" don't you understand? ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    No, I'm sure it's like catnip to you; if only there was some record of delivering.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666 said:

I think I remember you saying there's a 20mph limit in the middle of your village... would you be in favour of raising that back to 30mph?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    Stevo_666 said:
    Typical Torygraph nonsense..
    I'm quite happy with our 20mph zones and there are a lot here and oblige by doing exactly 20 or sometimes 19. Seems to make the guy behind go about 145/95 though. Almost apoplectic. Hah.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• What's magic about 30?
  • rjsterry

Stevo_666 said:
    Typical Torygraph nonsense..
    I'm quite happy with our 20mph zones and there are a lot here and oblige by doing exactly 20 or sometimes 19. Seems to make the guy behind go about 145/95 though. Almost apoplectic. Hah.
    It's clearly been fed to various journalists (the Graun is claiming an exclusive) to generate some noise to distract from going to Manchester having half announced they're not getting HS2, then bottled it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• If they're concentrating on fixing potholes, they're doing pretty shit at that too.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

If they're concentrating on fixing potholes, they're doing pretty censored at that too.

:D:D:D
    Probably not the best deflection to choose.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    But not so promising for some people...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

What's magic about 30?

Tradition isn’t it, certain people hate change / love tradition and those people usually vote a certain way.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536
    Pross said:

What's magic about 30?

Tradition isn’t it, certain people hate change / love tradition and those people usually vote a certain way.
    I've seen lots of people complaining that effectively, the slowest speed their cars are comfortably geared for is 30
  • What's magic about 30?

All journeys will take 2/3 the time than 20.
  • Jezyboy
    ...If you travel on a single straight road with no other traffic, and accelerate instantly.
  • Stevo_666

What's magic about 30?

Not magic, but at least it's better than 20.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    Jezyboy said:

Pross said:

What's magic about 30?

I've seen lots of people complaining that effectively, the slowest speed their cars are comfortably geared for is 30
    That's total BS! I can crawl along just fine at less than 10mph in first gear, late at night. Officer...

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• What's magic about 30?

40 is faster though.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    edited September 2023

What's magic about 30?

40 is faster though.
    Yes. Journeys take half the time.

But it's okay to do 40 in a 30 zone, but you can only do 20 in a 20 zone. This is why it is so unfair.
  • Stevo_666 said:

I think I remember you saying there's a 20mph limit in the middle of your village... would you be in favour of raising that back to 30mph?
    That sounds like it would be a main road, so a prime target for not being 20mph under Rishi's "big plan".

Or possibly it's going to be completely incoherent, and just make everything more complicated.

It seems weird to limit the use of cameras to enforce traffic rules. Maybe Rishi thinks that this is an assault on the honest hardworking traffic warden.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited September 2023

It seems weird to limit the use of cameras to enforce traffic rules. Maybe Rishi thinks that this is an assault on the honest hardworking traffic warden.

Entirely in keeping with tory attitude to rule breaking across the land.

Don't care about smuggling at the border.

Don't care about burglaries, or bike thefts.

Don't care about tax evasion.

Don't care about shop lifting.

Don't care about speeding.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

What's magic about 30?

It's the cusp of where you are definitely in some form of motorised transport and therefore in the wrong thread. Unless we're talking about buses going at 30.
  • Do you think Rishi genuinely doesn't understand about the 20mph, or is he full of shit?

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2023-09-28/what-the-prime-minister-thinks-about-wales-new-default-20mph-speed-limit

When told that it isn't a blanket limit, and that there are still 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 mph limits in Wales, he says "I don't think that's quite right".
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    My favourite is the argument that 20mph is less safe because either a) "you're constantly looking at your speedo", apparently 20mph is some weird speed people need to stare at their speedo to comply with whereas higher speeds (when looking at your speedo would be even more dangerous) don't require this or b) "you're going to drive into the back of other cars more often because they are going so slowly" for some reason driving below 30mph must stop you being able to see things in front of you and / or operate the brakes.

The main mouthpiece arguing against the 20mph limits in the Welsh Government is the thickasshit Tory candidate in my constituency.
  • rjsterry

Do you think Rishi genuinely doesn't understand about the 20mph, or is he full of censored ?

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2023-09-28/what-the-prime-minister-thinks-about-wales-new-default-20mph-speed-limit

When told that it isn't a blanket limit, and that there are still 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 mph limits in Wales, he says "I don't think that's quite right".

It's much the same as the push back on net zero which was actually the tiniest of tweaks having no measurable effect on anyone.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jezyboy

Stevo_666 said:

He lives in a special snowflake village which is clearly different to all the other villages in the country.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

My favourite is the argument that 20mph is less safe because either a) "you're constantly looking at your speedo", apparently 20mph is some weird speed people need to stare at their speedo to comply with whereas higher speeds (when looking at your speedo would be even more dangerous) don't require this or b) "you're going to drive into the back of other cars more often because they are going so slowly" for some reason driving below 30mph must stop you being able to see things in front of you and / or operate the brakes.

The main mouthpiece arguing against the 20mph limits in the Welsh Government is the thickasshit Tory candidate in my constituency.

I guess here must a lot of thickos in Wales then, given that the petition has almost 450,000 signatures ;)
  • Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

I guess here must a lot of thickos in Wales then, given that the petition has almost 450,000 signatures ;)

Sometimes millions of people vote for demonstrably stupid things.
  • Still going to be pretending they're all from Wales when there's more signatures than people in Wales?
  • Stevo_666

Still going to be pretending they're all from Wales when there's more signatures than people in Wales?

No idea, I don't have access to the stats for the petition.
  • Jezyboy said:

Stevo_666 said:

He lives in a special snowflake village which is clearly different to all the other villages in the country.

I can't think why Stevo hasn't answered my question.