The Big 'Let's sell our cars and take buses/ebikes instead' thread (warning: probably very dull)

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I think Starmer will be quite pleased if these changes are enacted before he gets in.

Correct. Battery technology seems to be getting to a tipping point on range (see the recent stories about better electrodes and solid state electrolytes), at which point there will be a quick pivot by the buying public. This won't happen by 2030 though.

2035 will also allow more time for non city charging to get better.

I am less clear on the justification for putting back the ban on new gas and oil boilers through.
    The least justifiable is surely removing the requirement for landlords to provide energy efficient homes.
    Nothing is clear cut. That policy would just reduce the available rental accommodation and push rental prices up. Similarly anyone who stays as a landlord would pass on costs. I certainly wouldn't see the justification for distinguishing between rental and owner occupied though.
    Landlords who feel they can't afford to upgrade to a 'C' rating by the December 2028 deadline could apply for an exemption as follows:

You can show quotes from three separate installers revealing that “the cost of purchasing and installing the cheapest recommended improvement exceeds £3,500 (including VAT)”. You must also provide confirmation that you are “satisfied that the measure(s) exceed this amount”. This is known as a ‘High cost’ Exemption and applies only to domestic property;

You have already made all of the changes that could have been proposed in order to meet the regulations, and yet the property has still not achieved the desired rating.
    You can prove that a proposed wall or ceiling insulation system would be unsuitable for your building;

The required improvements to the house in question require the consent of a third party, which has been refused;

A RICS-qualified surveyor has informed you that any adjustments to the house – including changing the boiler, heating system, insulation or anything else – will reduce the buildings’ value;

You have only started letting out rented property very recently (in which case, you may be granted a 6 month exemption).

Hardly onerous especially if my reading of the first point is correct and you can apply if you have to fork out more than £3.5k inc. VAT to get up to a 'C' rating. It's not like 'C' is particularly onerous either. Part of being a landlord is having to spend money on keeping your asset to an acceptable standard, if landlords are leaving the market because of this I would question whether they are goof landlords to begin with.
    You two are making the mistake of using rational argument. A lot of private landlords will just get out of the market. This will push up prices. It doesn't take much to change sentiment, when being a private landlord is normally not all that worthwhile anyway.
    Would you want someone with that attitude as your landlord? As I've said on here a lot of times before, there are far too many 'property developers' out there who think it is money for old rope egged on by programmes like Homes Under The Hammer that make it seem like you buy a wreck at auction; chuck in a budget kitchen from Wickes, paint the walls and lay some grey carpets then watch the money roll in. If they aren't prepared to invest in basics like making the house energy efficient it makes you wonder what else they are skimping on.
    I would love to invest in decent insulation.
    I have done extra loft insulation in all my properties and replaced many old double glazing units (including doors), as well as fitting constant dehumidifiers and although this has made a big difference to the wellbeing of the tenants, heating bills and keeping my properties in better shape, it's not really as sufficient as it could be.
    I have had quotes for cavity wall insulation that are eye watering (that is only a piece of the insulation jigsaw) and I do not qualify for the Eco Gen external insulated cladding because if you own more than 2 properties (including the one you live in?!), you do not qualify. You are then classed as a business. So, businesses get no assistance in being energy efficient?!
    Else, I could get a grant and only pay £1200. Without any assistance, full cost is £11k+.
    £11k is over 2 years rental income in this part of the world. Add the usual repair, maintenance, insurance, annual boiler inspection, landlord registration fees, bad debt etc and I am looking at not getting that money back for 3 years. Multiply that across the properties I have and, well; do the maths. I have 3 rental properties.

I can safely say that I have shelled out one third of my total rental income year on year with repairs, upgrades, maintenance and bad debt. Some govt; help would go a long way and in the next 5 years if this does not happen, I will be pulling out of the market.
    New boiler with 10 year warranties including fitting is £2800 (I have forked out for 2). Air source for rental properties without some form of grant? Forget it.
    When the new boilers are due for renewal and I cannot fit them because of legislation, I am out and out well before the deadline or I am facing owning properties that will l have less buyer appeal. This wouldn't happen in more urban areas.
    I am sure a lot of good landlords are in the same position.

I am an inch from pulling out of the market anyway. If interest rates keep rising, I could sell up and invest elsewhere without all the hassle.

Tenants in England don't have enough rights and tenants in Scotland have too many. They said this SNP government was anti-business, they certainly are.
    As you seem to have one foot out of the door anyway, I can see why you wouldn't want to invest further. On the other hand if you were planning on being a landlord for another 10-15 years, that investment would be more easily justified. This is not that different to an owner occupier: are you going to pay for replacement windows if you are planning to sell in a couple of years or leave it for the next owner and accept that you won't be able to sell for quite as much.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666 said:

Emily Maitlis might have a point... Stevotories might think that this wafer-thin win means they can forget all that 'green stuff' and U-turn on their previous commitments, and indeed campaign on ungreen policies, but it might not be the winning gambit they think it is...

Brain, you travel between two homes in different countries. How is that environmentally efficient?
    Yeah, we're not taking any lectures from eco hypocrites :smile:

Please do feel free to quote a single post from me to back up your charge.
  • Can we normalise parking in car parks with charging points rather than expecting roads to still be full of parked cars and pavements to be clogged up with more crap for charging cars when the great electric revolution comes?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Can we normalise parking in car parks with charging points rather than expecting roads to still be full of parked cars and pavements to be clogged up with more censored for charging cars when the great electric revolution comes?

Good luck trying to get a car parks built in residential areas.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

Can we normalise parking in car parks with charging points rather than expecting roads to still be full of parked cars and pavements to be clogged up with more censored for charging cars when the great electric revolution comes?

Preference for just removing them altogether, but it doesn't seem to have gone down well on this thread full of cyclists.
  • rick_chasey

Preference for just removing them altogether, but it doesn't seem to have gone down well on this thread full of cyclists.
    If you provide appropriate public transport and cycling infrastructure, sure, but I've been told on here over and over that that is madness.
  • Can we normalise parking in car parks with charging points rather than expecting roads to still be full of parked cars and pavements to be clogged up with more censored for charging cars when the great electric revolution comes?

Right tool for the right job sometimes.

Also, if there was truly secure bike parking that would be great.
  • Can we normalise parking in car parks with charging points rather than expecting roads to still be full of parked cars and pavements to be clogged up with more censored for charging cars when the great electric revolution comes?

You're looking for problems not solutions.
  • TheBigBean

Yes, I discovered on this thread that sometimes you need to buy christmas trees and toilet paper.

The evolution of portable angle grinders along with the lack of interest from the police is not a positive development.
  • rick_chasey

You're looking for problems not solutions.
    This entire thread exists because I was coming up with a a non-car centric solution.
  • pinno said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I think Starmer will be quite pleased if these changes are enacted before he gets in.

Correct. Battery technology seems to be getting to a tipping point on range (see the recent stories about better electrodes and solid state electrolytes), at which point there will be a quick pivot by the buying public. This won't happen by 2030 though.

I am less clear on the justification for putting back the ban on new gas and oil boilers through.
    The least justifiable is surely removing the requirement for landlords to provide energy efficient homes.
    Nothing is clear cut. That policy would just reduce the available rental accommodation and push rental prices up. Similarly anyone who stays as a landlord would pass on costs. I certainly wouldn't see the justification for distinguishing between rental and owner occupied though.
    Landlords who feel they can't afford to upgrade to a 'C' rating by the December 2028 deadline could apply for an exemption as follows:

You can show quotes from three separate installers revealing that “the cost of purchasing and installing the cheapest recommended improvement exceeds £3,500 (including VAT)”. You must also provide confirmation that you are “satisfied that the measure(s) exceed this amount”. This is known as a ‘High cost’ Exemption and applies only to domestic property;

You have already made all of the changes that could have been proposed in order to meet the regulations, and yet the property has still not achieved the desired rating.
    You can prove that a proposed wall or ceiling insulation system would be unsuitable for your building;

The required improvements to the house in question require the consent of a third party, which has been refused;

A RICS-qualified surveyor has informed you that any adjustments to the house – including changing the boiler, heating system, insulation or anything else – will reduce the buildings’ value;

You have only started letting out rented property very recently (in which case, you may be granted a 6 month exemption).

Hardly onerous especially if my reading of the first point is correct and you can apply if you have to fork out more than £3.5k inc. VAT to get up to a 'C' rating. It's not like 'C' is particularly onerous either. Part of being a landlord is having to spend money on keeping your asset to an acceptable standard, if landlords are leaving the market because of this I would question whether they are goof landlords to begin with.
    You two are making the mistake of using rational argument. A lot of private landlords will just get out of the market. This will push up prices. It doesn't take much to change sentiment, when being a private landlord is normally not all that worthwhile anyway.
    Would you want someone with that attitude as your landlord? As I've said on here a lot of times before, there are far too many 'property developers' out there who think it is money for old rope egged on by programmes like Homes Under The Hammer that make it seem like you buy a wreck at auction; chuck in a budget kitchen from Wickes, paint the walls and lay some grey carpets then watch the money roll in. If they aren't prepared to invest in basics like making the house energy efficient it makes you wonder what else they are skimping on.
    I have done extra loft insulation in all my properties and replaced many old double glazing units (including doors), as well as fitting constant dehumidifiers and although this has made a big difference to the wellbeing of the tenants, heating bills and keeping my properties in better shape, it's not really as sufficient as it could be.
    I have had quotes for cavity wall insulation that are eye watering (that is only a piece of the insulation jigsaw) and I do not qualify for the Eco Gen external insulated cladding because if you own more than 2 properties (including the one you live in?!), you do not qualify. You are then classed as a business. So, businesses get no assistance in being energy efficient?!
    Else, I could get a grant and only pay £1200. Without any assistance, full cost is £11k+.
    £11k is over 2 years rental income in this part of the world. Add the usual repair, maintenance, insurance, annual boiler inspection, landlord registration fees, bad debt etc and I am looking at not getting that money back for 3 years. Multiply that across the properties I have and, well; do the maths. I have 3 rental properties.

I can safely say that I have shelled out one third of my total rental income year on year with repairs, upgrades, maintenance and bad debt. Some govt; help would go a long way and in the next 5 years if this does not happen, I will be pulling out of the market.
    New boiler with 10 year warranties including fitting is £2800 (I have forked out for 2). Air source for rental properties without some form of grant? Forget it.
    When the new boilers are due for renewal and I cannot fit them because of legislation, I am out and out well before the deadline or I am facing owning properties that will l have less buyer appeal. This wouldn't happen in more urban areas.

I am an inch from pulling out of the market anyway. If interest rates keep rising, I could sell up and invest elsewhere without all the hassle.

Tenants in England don't have enough rights and tenants in Scotland have too many. They said this SNP government was anti-business, they certainly are.
    I think this very well illustrates the points I was trying to make. The people who are in the housing industry who say, oh well that's life suck it up, are missing the point of how unprecedented the green transition is, and passing judgement on people not forseeing what would happen, how it would happen and when it would happen. Silly them.

Presumably though all three properties will go to people who are currently renting, right? No.

Anyhow, the problems in Scotland are going to be very acute indeed, because it is cold and wet and has a really poor housing stock. Also has disproportionately high costs related to rural properties and its geography. The SNP is currently beholden to the Greens, who are idealists with blinkers on. What they don't see is that if you make the green transition too overtly painful, in a democracy you will get kicked out and your green ideals will count for nothing.
  • TheBigBean

If you provide appropriate public transport and cycling infrastructure, sure, but I've been told on here over and over that that is madness.
    Even when there is appropriate public transport, people don't use it.

Yes, I discovered on this thread that sometimes you need to buy christmas trees and toilet paper.

The evolution of portable angle grinders along with the lack of interest from the police is not a positive development.
    I use the car for going to places outside London and taking the dogs to Richmond Park. Life would be worse without access to a car.

Our local branch line station was recently refurbished at a cost of £££ outrageous. Nice little car park. Guess how many spaces with a charger? None, nil, nada, zip, zilch. Secure bike parking? That'll be nope too.

Nicely integrated forward thinking Network Rail...
  • Munsford0 said:

Our local branch line station was recently refurbished at a cost of £££ outrageous. Nice little car park. Guess how many spaces with a charger? None, nil, nada, zip, zilch. Secure bike parking? That'll be nope too.

The problem with this government, and why they are botching the green transition so badly, is the almost religious belief that "the market" will drive change, as though "the market" is some sentient entity rather than a collective of greedy headless chickens.

When it comes to infrastructure, how much evidence does anyone need that "the market" needs dragging kicking and screaming to do anything that costs more in the short term? And why on earth can't a right wing government see infrastructure as the underpinning of the future economy?

The one good thing I think the SNP did up here was the R100 programme, which mandates that every Scottish household has access to superfast broadband. Okay, so it was hugely delayed, but with limited exceptions that can mostly be plugged by 5G community projects or low orbit sattellite now, it has been achieved. So, it means some people can work anywhere.

In England, the market is deciding, which means cities get it, and the rest is a decade behind, if ever.

The exact same thing is happening with charging infrastructure and active travel - it should be "build it and they will come" rather than "we will build it after its wanted, because just now no one is using what isn't there."

Argh.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Munsford0 said:

Very surprised at that, I would have expected it to be a requirement of the planning application (assuming the work needed planning). The station in Pontypool is having a regeneration and has 11 EV charging bays plus 3 of the disabled parking spaces have EV charging. It also has 8 new secure bike parking spaces to go wit the previous 20 parking slots.

Lack of integration is a massive bug bear of mine with public transport.
  • Pross said:

Munsford0 said:

Very surprised at that, I would have expected it to be a requirement of the planning application (assuming the work needed planning). The station in Pontypool is having a regeneration and has 11 EV charging bays plus 3 of the disabled parking spaces have EV charging. It also has 8 new secure bike parking spaces to go wit the previous 20 parking slots.

Lack of integration is a massive bug bear of mine with public transport.
    That's because it is fragmented by privatisation and government has been reticent to impose things on "the market".
  • TheBigBean

I use the car for going to places outside London and taking the dogs to Richmond Park. Life would be worse without access to a car.
    Richmond Park and the surrounding area would be nicer if people didn't drive their cars there, so whilst it would be less convenient for you, I think it would be better overall. I know my view on this is not common.

Richmond Park and the surrounding area would be nicer if people didn't drive their cars there, so whilst it would be less convenient for you, I think it would be better overall. I know my view on this is not common.
    It's been a long time, but isn't it one of those places it would be perfectly fine to drive in to and out of, but not around, because the around traffic is the vast majority?
  • rick_chasey
    RP is absolutely ruined by cars.

If I could only drive as far as the nearest carpark to the entrance I came in at, and had to leave through the same entrance, I'd be very happy. Or if they closed the car gates and I had to park outside I'd also be happy. If I had to take a bus there, I'd be pretty happy too if it meant it was free of cars.
  • rick_chasey

If I could only drive as far as the nearest carpark to the entrance I came in at, and had to leave through the same entrance, I'd be very happy. Or if they closed the car gates and I had to park outside I'd also be happy. If I had to take a bus there, I'd be pretty happy too if it meant it was free of cars.
    Ebike FTW.
  • TheBigBean

It's been a long time, but isn't it one of those places it would be perfectly fine to drive in to and out of, but not around, because the around traffic is the vast majority?
    I don't quite understand your question, but the park is unusual because you can drive in it as well as to it. In contrast, people who drive their dogs to Hampstead Heath just clog up all the surrounding roads.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086

pinno said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Is being a landlord your main job?
    You have asked me this before. No.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023
    Why are you doing it then?

Do you really have nothing more productive to spend your money on?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086

The Norwegian Parliament has decided on a national goal that all new cars sold by 2025 should be zero-emission (electric or hydrogen). By end of 2022, more than 20 percent of registered cars in Norway were battery electric (BEV). Battery electric vehicles held a 79.2 percent market share in 2022. The speed of the transition is closely related to policy instruments and a wide range of incentives.
    https://elbil.no/english/norwegian-ev-policy/
    Blimey, and they're sitting on abundant oil reserves. It's cold there too so the LiFePO4's/Li-ion's must get hit hard by that.
    Nah - they can warm them up on their log burners.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross

Ebike FTW.
    With a dog?
  • RP is absolutely ruined by cars.

It really isn't. The only parts where cars make it properly unpleasant are where they use it as a through road. On the weekend when there's only through traffic between Kingston, Ham and Richmond gates, the rest of it is really not ruined.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

With a dog?

Sure.

• Pross

I don't quite understand your question, but the park is unusual because you can drive in it as well as to it. In contrast, people who drive their dogs to Hampstead Heath just clog up all the surrounding roads.
    It caught me out when I went for a run there a couple of years ago when returning from a site visit. I thought I'd just drive into a car park and then have a run around the park, maybe dodging few cyclists and wasn't expecting so many cars. I really enjoyed it though.