Mourning stupidity

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,858
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

They’re doing a wristband system so don’t let the 30 hour queue put you off as you can leave for the toilet or food.

There should be a fast pass system like at theme parks so the rich can pay to jump the queue of peasants

Actually, why not charge everyone say £20 a pop to see the coffin. Good little money Spinner and could be justifiable as a tax on stupidity? £50 for fast track sounds about right.
    Not sure they need the money tbf. You know, exempt from inheritance tax and all that.

Think of it as like a speed camera but for stupid flag shaggers rather than stupid car drivers.
    Most of us can be exempt from IHT with a spot of sensible planning ;)

Maybe put an EU flag near the coffin so you get the right sort of flag shaggers turning up?
    Own up now, who flagged my flag post :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

They’re doing a wristband system so don’t let the 30 hour queue put you off as you can leave for the toilet or food.

There should be a fast pass system like at theme parks so the rich can pay to jump the queue of peasants

Actually, why not charge everyone say £20 a pop to see the coffin. Good little money Spinner and could be justifiable as a tax on stupidity? £50 for fast track sounds about right.
    Not sure they need the money tbf. You know, exempt from inheritance tax and all that.

Think of it as like a speed camera but for stupid flag shaggers rather than stupid car drivers.
    Most of us can be exempt from IHT with a spot of sensible planning ;)

Maybe put an EU flag near the coffin so you get the right sort of flag shaggers turning up?
    Own up now, who flagged my flag post :smile:
    I thought you were supposed to click it whenever you spot a flag :)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,773

The BBC will be live streaming the coffin lying in state. Who wants to peer at an inanimate, empty box? :D

Will actually watch if Carlton Kirby does the commentary
    Coffin furniture, for goodness state, gnarly.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,886

The leadership aspect fascinates me as well but that puts us back into General territory

Great man history, right?
    Political leaders could well be explained by that theory but I am less convinced for the military as in a long war leaders can get promoted quickly based upon their ability.

Roman generals are particularly fascinating as it was essentailly two lines of men hacking at one another yet they ruled most of the known world.

Nelson was so good that nobody challenged Britain's rule of the seas (and through that the world) for 100 years.
    If it was just that then they wouldn't have been so successful.

They still got well and truly owned by other generals from time to time. So not invincible by any means.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,359

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,359

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • orraloon said:

The BBC will be live streaming the coffin lying in state. Who wants to peer at an inanimate, empty box? :D

Will actually watch if Carlton Kirby does the commentary
    Coffin furniture, for goodness state, gnarly.

"Who do you think will be the next Monarch, Sean? Obviously everyone thinks it will be Charles and he's the bookies favourite for a reason, but I quite fancy Anne to make a late attack... and you can never count Andrew out after serving his 'ban' you might say... Edward's been hiding in the wheels, so I expect him to go well too.... William is looking quite aero these days so I'd fancy him if it came down to a sprint... I've been impressed with the results Harry's had in the Californian criteriums, so I'd be minded to back him with this narrow finish..."
    But in the end going for Durbridge.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    A good point was raised by a foreign radio station the other day re the environmental issues relating to the tonnes of flowers, plastic and paper being dumped all over the UK's streets and buildings at the mo'......
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle said:

A good point was raised by a foreign radio station the other day re the environmental issues relating to the tonnes of flowers, plastic and paper being dumped all over the UK's streets and buildings at the mo'......

How about a special flight carrying one coffin or the various private jets hired to fly to Balmoral … this is all in tune with the times of course.
    We have rewinded history back a century in the space of 24 hours…

left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

How about a special flight carrying one coffin or the various private jets hired to fly to Balmoral … this is all in tune with the times of course.
    We have rewinded history back a century in the space of 24 hours…

but surely lot of that and all the added emissions stuff that will be happrning over thenext few days could/would be offset by people riding their bikes on Monday instead of driving.

Oh.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,886
    edited September 2022

You have obviously been to Vietnam, did it not lead you to learning about their various wars?

Yes, I did learn a bit about the wars, but probably not specific battles or at least my memory is not that good. In general, I don't find the minor details of war to be particularly thrilling unless you happen to be in that exact place.
    specific battles other than ground breaking ones like Dien Bien Phu aren't that interesting and without wishing to sound like a complete anaorak most battlefields need a lot of imagination that is beyond me.

You can not consider empires without considering what put them, militarily, streets ahead of their rivals.

The leadership aspect fascinates me as well but that puts us back into General territory
    I think you might like The White Ship by Charles Spencer
    MattFalle said:

There was a self-organised group of people working their way through the heaps of flowers, removing all plastic items so the rest could be composted. Was quite impressed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,995
    MattFalle said:

The plastic is being removed and the flowers are going to be composted, and the compost used in the Royal Parks.
  • orraloon
    Yebbut. I don't understand why people place their flowers wrapped in plastic. Just place the bloomin' flowers.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,636
    orraloon said:

Yebbut. I don't understand why people place their flowers wrapped in plastic. Just place the bloomin' flowers.

Cos that's the way they come from the petrol station and they can't be bothered to take it off?
  • mrb123 said:

orraloon said:

Cos that's the way they come from the petrol station and they can't be bothered to take it off?
    Most fruit in supermarkets comes pre packed in plastic.
    I wouldn't take the wrapping of those unless I had a fruit bowl to hand.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,614
    What if you were planning on leaving it in a pile on the street to rot?
  • I amazed at how much of the news the BBC can fill whilst nothing is happening now the body is lying in state!
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,952

I amazed at how much of the news the BBC can fill whilst nothing is happening now the body is lying in state!

I'm not.

The BBC are experts at filming f*** all.

How many times have you seen some reporter standing outside some place like a business that's going bust etc. to do a 'piece to camera'. WHY? So that we can all see what the building looks like, in the dark, when everyone has gone home for the day.

And more recently, Liz Truss returning to Downing St.

The older I get, the better I was.

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 532
    The flowers are such a huge waste of money and resources.
    Hoping the coverage will ease off now until Monday.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,994
    Just saw some woman in tears as she got her chance to walk past the coffin. She then stopped and turned towards the coffin and made the sign of the cross but it was obvious it wasn’t something natural to her as she did it in the wrong order.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,995
    bm5 said:

The florists don't think so.

• Pross
    bm5 said:

That’s optimistic, they have a queue of 100s of thousands of people that they can randomly interview for their boring stories of why they felt the need to come.
  • Pross
    Just got treated to two women who have taken their husband’s ashes with them.
  • Pross said:

"MPs, peers and up to four guests each are being given special access at arranged times."

• Pross said:

It'd be interesting to do some kind of study into the backgrounds of these kind of people. Those who seem to feel a sense of personal loss.

What does the Queen represent that they are mourning - stability? an England of the past? On an individual perhaps a happier time when they were younger, married, had children at home ?

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977
    bm5 said:

I thought there would be a lull between events but I now fully expect the coverage (including post event chat) to be maintained until Wednesday.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

Pross said:

It'd be interesting to do some kind of study into the backgrounds of these kind of people. Those who seem to feel a sense of personal loss.

What does the Queen represent that they are mourning - stability? an England of the past? On an individual perhaps a happier time when they were younger, married, had children at home ?

The husband of one of these had been in the police and did royal protection so I suppose there is a connection there.
  • Pross said:

Very small husbands too.. have you seen the size of the urn? You wouldn't fit the ashes of a cat in it...
    left the forum March 2023
  • orraloon
    More pointless virtue signalling. I get marketing emails from various sources inc this one promoting ticket sales to events. Today's email states:

"As a mark of respect, we won’t be highlighting our upcoming events in this week’s email, but you can find out the latest information from....website"

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.