Mourning stupidity

Comments

• Never got through the World at War. Too old for me and by the time I got round to it I knew most of it already from reading from elsewhere.

I much prefer the Cold War documentary from the 90s, but I watched it pre-university, so presumably with an uncritical eye.

I got really annoyed with the Vietnam documentary. Southern Vietnamese don't even get a look in on that one. Generally it's heavy on tropes and I don't think I learned very much from it. Some of the stories are good, sure.

Your critics s are valid but surely to say it is over rated you have to be able to hold up some easy examples of series that were done better?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,718

Never got through the World at War. Too old for me and by the time I got round to it I knew most of it already from reading from elsewhere.

I much prefer the Cold War documentary from the 90s, but I watched it pre-university, so presumably with an uncritical eye.

I got really annoyed with the Vietnam documentary. Southern Vietnamese don't even get a look in on that one. Generally it's heavy on tropes and I don't think I learned very much from it. Some of the stories are good, sure.

Your critics s are valid but surely to say it is over rated you have to be able to hold up some easy examples of series that were done better?
    Are you interested in all wars or just those of a certain era? e.g. Korean War?
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62879563

Center Parcs campuses will be closing for Monday's funeral.

How exactly is that going to work for those on weekend stays, that would normally be allowed to remain on campus all day, but don't have to leave their accomodation until 1000? :D

Presumably partial refund for weekenders, plus midweekers having the start of their stay delayed.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Never got through the World at War. Too old for me and by the time I got round to it I knew most of it already from reading from elsewhere.

Are you interested in all wars or just those of a certain era? e.g. Korean War?
    Tends to be major wars and after that things that trigger me ie going places or stumbling across a war.

One example is when I started working with Americans I felt I should learn about their history so the natural place for me was the Civil, Indian and Pacific Wars.

You have obviously been to Vietnam, did it not lead you to learning about their various wars?

Korea is close to being a forgotten war in the UK so that does intrigue me to find out more but none of my favourite authors have covered it
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,900
    edited September 2022
    YouTube has the entire BBC Cold War series:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmFpuLsumHidmOqHk37PfB4NCR7G7mtbd
  • I put Radio 5 on earlier and they were talking about Ukraine, so that's good.

I've been switching off as soon as I hear the sombre tone of voice up till now.
  • YouTube has the entire BBC Cold War series:

Thanks. Might have a look at that. Didn't quite make it into my O Level History syllabus, as it was too recent, although I think we did look at the Cuban missile crisis briefly.
  • rick_chasey
    As a general rule I would not ever use a TV programme as my primary source of knowledge on anything.

But it’s the programme that got me hooked on history, so it is monumental in my own mind.

Parents let me stay up to watch it etc.

Thanks. Might have a look at that. Didn't quite make it into my O Level History syllabus, as it was too recent, although I think we did look at the Cuban missile crisis briefly.
    +1
  • As a general rule I would not ever use a TV programme as my primary source of knowledge on anything.

But it’s the programme that got me hooked on history, so it is monumental in my own mind.

I learnt all I know about the Romans from the I Claudius documentary.

+1
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62879563

How exactly is that going to work for those on weekend stays, that would normally be allowed to remain on campus all day, but don't have to leave their accomodation until 1000? :D

Presumably partial refund for weekenders, plus midweekers having the start of their stay delayed.

why are they a campus and not a parc? why is the plural of campus not campi?

Is it normal never to have been to one?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624

As a general rule I would not ever use a TV programme as my primary source of knowledge on anything.

I learnt all I know about the Romans from the I Claudius documentary.
    Not Up Pompeii?
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • British Cycling strongly recommends that anybody out riding their bike on the day of the State Funeral does so outside of the timings of the funeral service and associated processions, which will be confirmed later this week. Once published, we will share the details of those timings on this page.

What's the reason for this? Surely unless you're daft enough to be riding through central London, anyone who's likely to be offended will be watching it on TV.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,342
    Well now I want to go out for a ride
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • I'm deffo going out. Most Range Rover-types will be watching the funeral, and anyone out-and-about to tell me I'm being 'disrespectful' is being a tad hypocritical
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,718

You have obviously been to Vietnam, did it not lead you to learning about their various wars?

Yes, I did learn a bit about the wars, but probably not specific battles or at least my memory is not that good. In general, I don't find the minor details of war to be particularly thrilling unless you happen to be in that exact place.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,740

I'm deffo going out. Most Range Rover-types will be watching the funeral, and anyone out-and-about to tell me I'm being 'disrespectful' is being a tad hypocritical

And another deffo going out. With a ghetto blaster and a specific Sex Pistols track.
  • orraloon said:

I'm deffo going out. Most Range Rover-types will be watching the funeral, and anyone out-and-about to tell me I'm being 'disrespectful' is being a tad hypocritical

And another deffo going out. With a ghetto blaster and a specific Sex Pistols track.
    They'd have this one https://youtu.be/3K3uAlyNL5o
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,743
    11am on Monday = perfect time for a ride. Already arranged one with a mate.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,903
    She was a good Queen but one who got on with her life during my Mum’s funeral. Sod ‘em, I’ll be on my bike for sure now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,740

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62879563

Virtue signalling gone stupid. Bloke on radio news saying booked in for 2 weeks (2 weeks! weirdo), been told no cannot just stay in their lodge accom on Monday, must leave.

I stayed in a Center Parks, the Suffolk one, for a weekend once many years ago when #1 daughter was just about starting primary school, shite experience, vowed never again.

Anyway, at least for now Sex Pistols' God Save the Queen still available on Spotify. What? Cancel, cancel...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    pblakeney said:

She was a good Queen but one who got on with her life during my Mum’s funeral. Sod ‘em, I’ll be on my bike for sure now.
    Indeed. Admittedly I didn't know her, but I'd be surprised if anyone wants enforced state mourning after their passing. Except for fat Boy Kim of course. Anyone that wants to join in the mourning should, but leave it at that.
    I also have no desire to go and see Schroedinger's queen. That seems very odd.

• You have obviously been to Vietnam, did it not lead you to learning about their various wars?

Yes, I did learn a bit about the wars, but probably not specific battles or at least my memory is not that good. In general, I don't find the minor details of war to be particularly thrilling unless you happen to be in that exact place.
    specific battles other than ground breaking ones like Dien Bien Phu aren't that interesting and without wishing to sound like a complete anaorak most battlefields need a lot of imagination that is beyond me.

You can not consider empires without considering what put them, militarily, streets ahead of their rivals.

The leadership aspect fascinates me as well but that puts us back into General territory
  • "London's mourners put away their smartphones..."

• The Centerparcs backtrack is in.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,617

The Centerparcs backtrack is in.

And British Cycling.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rick_chasey

The leadership aspect fascinates me as well but that puts us back into General territory

Great man history, right?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,834
    They’re doing a wristband system so don’t let the 30 hour queue put you off as you can leave for the toilet or food.

There should be a fast pass system like at theme parks so the rich can pay to jump the queue of peasants