Mourning stupidity

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

The Centerparcs backtrack is in.

And British Cycling.
    its BC doing stuff like this that makes lot of people think they are a bunch of wazzocks.

some self professed cycling overlord telling people they can't ride their bikes?

yeah, right.

thing is we all know that there will be clubbies cancelling stuff left right and centre on this advice.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737
    It's an MF!!

Thought BC had done a CenterParcs and backtracked on the OTT virtue signalling BS?

As if anyone would Obey their diktat.
  • Pross said:

They’re doing a wristband system so don’t let the 30 hour queue put you off as you can leave for the toilet or food.

There should be a fast pass system like at theme parks so the rich can pay to jump the queue of peasants

hahahaha - you think the cousin of the 3rd Earl of Nowheresville is in that queue :)

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,732
    Pross said:

They’re doing a wristband system so don’t let the 30 hour queue put you off as you can leave for the toilet or food.

There should be a fast pass system like at theme parks so the rich can pay to jump the queue of peasants

Actually, why not charge everyone say £20 a pop to see the coffin. Good little money Spinner and could be justifiable as a tax on stupidity? £50 for fast track sounds about right.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    edited September 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Actually, why not charge everyone say £20 a pop to see the coffin. Good little money Spinner and could be justifiable as a tax on stupidity? £50 for fast track sounds about right.
    Not sure they need the money tbf. You know, exempt from inheritance tax and all that.

Think of it as like a speed camera but for stupid flag shaggers rather than stupid car drivers.

• The leadership aspect fascinates me as well but that puts us back into General territory

Great man history, right?
    Political leaders could well be explained by that theory but I am less convinced for the military as in a long war leaders can get promoted quickly based upon their ability.

Roman generals are particularly fascinating as it was essentailly two lines of men hacking at one another yet they ruled most of the known world.

Nelson was so good that nobody challenged Britain's rule of the seas (and through that the world) for 100 years.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803

Pross said:

hahahaha - you think the cousin of the 3rd Earl of Nowheresville is in that queue :)

No, I was thinking more of the more money than sense brigade rather than the full blown aristocracy.

There's money to be made as a placeholder in the queue I reckon.
  • Apparently so. It makes you wonder exactly what is going on -
    orraloon said:

It's an MF!!

Thought BC had done a CenterParcs and backtracked on the OTT virtue signalling BS?

I bet some club cycling club committees have cancelled their club rides.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022
    orraloon said:

It's an MF!!

Ciao! We have returned and gaze upon this madness!

Yup, they backtracked but firstly they thought it was a good idea in the first place they are still banning club rides.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/13/worthy-of-the-stasi-british-cycling-in-queens-funeral-u-turn-after-ridicule
  • MattFalle

Apparently so. It makes you wonder exactly what is going on -

orraloon said:

It's an MF!!

I bet some club cycling club committees have cancelled their club rides.
    100%.

and they will have done it in a very, very serious manner as well.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022

The leadership aspect fascinates me as well but that puts us back into General territory

Great man history, right?
    Political leaders could well be explained by that theory but I am less convinced for the military as in a long war leaders can get promoted quickly based upon their ability.

Roman generals are particularly fascinating as it was essentailly two lines of men hacking at one another yet they ruled most of the known world.

Nelson was so good that nobody challenged Britain's rule of the seas (and through that the world) for 100 years.
    So I'm rather structuralist, so I see the structure of power/society as by far the most important and in then the constraints set by the structure you get the randomness of individual ability and decision making at said leadership position. In the world of war, the army reflects the structure of power/society and the priorities they make etc.

I like and spend a lot of time thinking about how individual actions of leaders actually impact the world day-to-day and the intersection of that and the macro environment. So if say you have a dictator who can decide things on an absolute whim and it impacts millions of people, I like to unpick how society has allowed for that to happen. After all, if everyone turned around and said "nah, i'm not doing that", the power dissolves pretty fast.

Clearly the structures we have allow some people to have a bigger impact than others; if I died no-one's sleeping on the street to queue to seem my dead body, to take a current example, (as much as you'd all miss me....).

Ancient history is really orientated around "great man" history because that's all they wrote about back in the day. Never really liked that; I don't think it's a good reflection of what was going on.
  • The Centerparcs backtrack is in.

And British Cycling.
    They are still advising against any form of organised cycling.
    It's ludicrous... a local Club I won't name has cancelled all the events, including an Open TT race they had organised, in respect to the Queen and in disrespect of the 30 of so people who had entered it.
    Then, on their Facebook page they were congratulating one of their riders who did well in another TT race... I mean, WTF!!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803

And British Cycling.
    It's ludicrous... a local Club I won't name has cancelled all the events, including an Open TT race they had organised, in respect to the Queen and in disrespect of the 30 of so people who had entered it.
    Then, on their Facebook page they were congratulating one of their riders who did well in another TT race... I mean, WTF!!
    I suspect that's the real reason. When I used to run open TTs 30 riders wouldn't have covered the costs.
  • There is a playing field out the back of my garden and last weekend there were kids football matches but they were wearing bibs rather than team shirts.

Whatever BC says it would make sense for clubs to ride incognito (like they did in lockdown) to avoid bring more ire down on cyclists
  • rick_chasey

There is a playing field out the back of my garden and last weekend there were kids football matches but they were wearing bibs rather than team shirts.

Whatever BC says it would make sense for clubs to ride incognito (like they did in lockdown) to avoid bring more ire down on cyclists

Reminds me of this: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-goes-after-the-men-in-black/
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,967
    How many clubs have organised rides on a Monday?
    At 11 am?
  • The trouble is it creates an atmosphere where organisations dare not step out of line with the herd, however ridiculous the virtue-signalling is. See poppies in November...

Exactly…
    Pross said:

And British Cycling.
    I suspect that's the real reason. When I used to run open TTs 30 riders wouldn't have covered the costs.
    They would have cancelled before, if that was the problem... but yes, I suspect had they had 60+ they wouldn't have cancelled probably
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle

There is a playing field out the back of my garden and last weekend there were kids football matches but they were wearing bibs rather than team shirts.

thry can dress anyway they want - if they continue to ride like wazzocks everyone will continue to hate them.

tbh, no matter what clothes you're wearing if you see 20/30 people all riding together you'll know its a club.

no one can say the average buffoon who has beef with cyclists can tell Cheltenham Wheelers from THE MIGHTY London Dynamo just by the colour of their matching spandex.
  • How many clubs have organised rides on a Monday?
    At 11 am?

Next Monday is a public holiday
  • MattFalle

How many clubs have organised rides on a Monday?
    At 11 am?

probably quite a few who do coffee shop rides or "race team" training or rides for prople who work weekends other same said so similar
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,732

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Not sure they need the money tbf. You know, exempt from inheritance tax and all that.

Think of it as like a speed camera but for stupid flag shaggers rather than stupid car drivers.
    Most of us can be exempt from IHT with a spot of sensible planning ;)

Maybe put an EU flag near the coffin so you get the right sort of flag shaggers turning up?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • That queuing is a British trait is a peculiar national myth.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    edited September 2022

Apparently Eton had a "soccer" match complete with FA registered referee - unfortunately for them their opponents put it on their twitter attracting quite a lot of predictable comments ... one rule for us etc.

Wonder if their local FA has fined them ours were certainly sending out emails saying that would be the case for any team caught playing a friendly.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,617
    My club cancelled its Open 25 TT last Sunday. I'm not aware of the discussions surrounding it but I would imagine its was done to protect the reputation as much as anything. I doubt anyone in the club was grieving that much, but it not worth the ire of those who might be offended and would then vent such anger.
    I guess they could have been contraian and gone ahead, but middle aged blokes in daft hats and shoes don't make the best edgelords.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022
    I bet no one here was/is as miffed off as the Grens et al lads and ladies who had to mince around London at 4 in the morning the other day......

Then again, they are Guards so they probably did enjoy it....
  • MattFalle

Apparently Eton had a "soccer" match complete with FA registered referee - unfortunately for them their opponents put it on their twitter attracting quite a lot of predictable comments ... one rule for us etc.

Wonder if their local FA has fined them ours were certainly sending out emails saying that would be the case for any team caught playing a friendly.
    whats the FA got to do with playing a friendly?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,591
    MattFalle said:

I bet no one here was/is as miffed off as the Grens et al lads and ladies who had to mince around London at 4 in the morning the other day......

Then again, they are Guards so they probably did enjoy it....

reminded me of the line from the thick of it...
    https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/top-ten-film-berets.216542/page-6#post-5877721
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    Just popped in to Sainsbury's to stock up on lunches at work, all of the self scanners are in mourning. At first I thought they were all out of order as the normally orange screens were black with a bit of white text. No, working normally, just paying homage to Queenie.
  • The BBC will be live streaming the coffin lying in state. Who wants to peer at an inanimate, empty box? :D
  • The BBC will be live streaming the coffin lying in state. Who wants to peer at an inanimate, empty box? :D

Will actually watch if Carlton Kirby does the commentary