Mourning stupidity

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    In a move somewhat out of left field, Aunt raver spent 12 hrs today in the queue. Says it was worth it.

Seems to have concentrated on the insta-likes more than the grieving but...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,344
    monkimark said:

Standing up for 24 hours and shuffling 10 miles along the south bank over 24 hours is a pretty tough physical challenge, especially for the elderly ones (and there are plenty of them). I'm surprised so many of them are managing it without collapsing.

On the plus side, the sleep deprivation probably adds to the surreal religious vibe at the end.

Hundreds helped by ambulance service in queue

Smitha Mundasad

Health reporter

Some 435 people have fallen ill and been treated by the London Ambulance Service and other similar organisations while in, or near, the queue to see the Queen lying in state.

The most common reason for needing help was fainting or collapsing, with some people injuring their heads. Around 40 patients were taken to hospital, according to the NHS.

The London Ambulance Service (LAS) says people should ensure they bring any regular medication and appropriate clothing while waiting in line.

The service is urging people to follow advice on the government website, and to drink plenty of water and to eat regularly.

LAS officials anticipate increased demand over the next few days and have put 300 extra staff in place to help on the day of the state funeral. This will include paramedics in crowded areas and extra staff in control rooms.

People are being advised to only ring 999 for serious emergencies.

From bbc live
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,745
    ^ this f-ed country is going even more crazy stupid.
  • ….but, but if you had queued at the right time today, you could have been lucky enough to have a 12 hour conversation with David Beckham!!
  • Flippin' 'eck - just looked at the BBC News website...

Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Not Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie
    Queenie

ad nauseam.

It almost makes the Telegraph looks like a bastion of republicanism.
  • MattFalle

….but, but if you had queued at the right time today, you could have been lucky enough to have a 12 word conversation with David Beckham!!

ftfy
  • MattFalle
    pangolin said:

monkimark said:

Standing up for 24 hours and shuffling 10 miles along the south bank over 24 hours is a pretty tough physical challenge, especially for the elderly ones (and there are plenty of them). I'm surprised so many of them are managing it without collapsing.

On the plus side, the sleep deprivation probably adds to the surreal religious vibe at the end.

Hundreds helped by ambulance service in queue

Smitha Mundasad

Health reporter

Some 435 people have fallen ill and been treated by the London Ambulance Service and other similar organisations while in, or near, the queue to see the Queen lying in state.

The most common reason for needing help was fainting or collapsing, with some people injuring their heads. Around 40 patients were taken to hospital, according to the NHS.

The London Ambulance Service (LAS) says people should ensure they bring any regular medication and appropriate clothing while waiting in line.

The service is urging people to follow advice on the government website, and to drink plenty of water and to eat regularly.

LAS officials anticipate increased demand over the next few days and have put 300 extra staff in place to help on the day of the state funeral. This will include paramedics in crowded areas and extra staff in control rooms.

People are being advised to only ring 999 for serious emergencies.

From bbc live
    the queue is pobably the only place in the UK that has a longer waiting time time than your average ED tbh......
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,469
    I hope the Queen's box is well refrigerated! I guess she's full of formaldehyde but even so. Is this really what she wanted? I'd prefer to be buried ASAP.

Do you even think she's actually in the box? No way of telling. A bit like Schrodinger's Queen?

RIP Queen. She was a remarkable woman.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,952
    To be fair, 5 miles is more than most of them would ever walk.

I'm surprised that we haven't had sponsored queuing.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,921
    edited September 2022

I hope the Queen's box is well refrigerated! I guess she's full of formaldehyde but even so. Is this really what she wanted? I'd prefer to be buried ASAP.

Do you even think she's actually in the box? No way of telling. A bit like Schrodinger's Queen?

RIP Queen. She was a remarkable woman.

‘Twas always this.

King George in 1936

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,598
    Pah, that queue is only on Lambeth Bridge, amateurs.
  • MPs and Lords can skip the queue and take four people each with them. Wth!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,598
    That seems fair enough, it's bad enough that people are queueing for an entire day and night, don't make them spend all that time stood next to Jacob Rees Mogg.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ok, where angels fear to tread, the case for the opposition…

But before that, a caveat. Personally, finding it all completely OTT and have muted the news more often than I care to contemplate when they are rambling on saying nothing.

However, let’s imagine I have no interest in the Tour de France and it rolls through a nearby town, maybe I go out of interest.
    Imagine the Olympic Games is in London. I go to watch the tiddlywinks as it’s all I can get tickets for and I just want to experience it.
    Imagine the queen dies who has been an ever present part of the British establishment throughout my life.
    Is it reasonable to be just interested enough to not only pay respects but to observe first hand the kind of one off pageantry that may not be repeated in your lifetime?

If I lived close and wasn’t working, I can see the interest in popping in.

I actually think the coverage is far more absurd than choosing to attend the lying in state.

Crikey, a trip to Alton towers involved about 8 hours queuing when I last went about 30 years ago. And yet I still recall enjoying going.
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022
    a lot of these prople don't live close and aren't just popping in - they are standing there for a whole day.

its absurd.

and at least Alton Towers is fun for the kids and you can get some candy floss
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,870
    ^It’s not really popping in if you are queuing for 24 hours. If you were able to just drop in off the street and pay your respects I could understand it. It feels like the longer the queue the greater the FOMO and the more people will queue. At least when you queued at Alton Towers you got a ride as a reward at the end. Each to their own and all that and ultimately the people doing it take a choice on how they value their time against the feeling going along provides.
  • morstar
    So, I wouldn’t go unless it was casually convenient but I fail to see this thread as any more than it doesn’t appeal to me so it’s nonsense.

I’ve watched dull as ditch water cycling stages live on the TV, people go to test match cricket, isn’t it just another my personal preference is right, yours is wrong thread?

The length of queue is not for me but it’s a supply and demand curve. There are very few opportunities to directly insert yourself into a royal event. If that is of any interest / appeal to you, maybe a one-off 24 hr wait is worth it.

I watched the Olympic TT in Esher, I have greater memories of the day out, waiting round and chatting to people than watching the riders fly by. I’m sure the queuing is quite a sociable event with many like minded people around.
  • morstar
    My frustration would be more aimed at the likes of Centerparcs and any other enforced mourning takes than people choosing to blow a day queuing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,919
    morstar said:

My frustration would be more aimed at the likes of Centerparcs and any other enforced mourning takes than people choosing to blow a day queuing.

Like telling me that I have to take an unpaid day off work for something that I will purposely ignore. Hopefully it will be a good day on the bike, but no cafe stops. 🤬
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    The centreparcs thing will have been a commercial decision anyway.
    Typically, they’ll charge a tonne more to stay on a bank holiday which will cover the enhanced wage bill.
    They haven’t received the revenue but still have the wage bill.
  • ddraver
    PSA - Remember that all the shops will be shut on Monday to be sad so stock up tomorrow.

Even my former cafe boss - who I can't imagine would shut for the apocalypse - has given up and closed based on the assumption that no one else will be around because everything will be shut.
    - @ddraver
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,603
    ddraver said:

PSA - Remember that all the shops will be shut on Monday to be sad so stock up tomorrow.

Even my former cafe boss - who I can't imagine would shut for the apocalypse - has given up and closed based on the assumption that no one else will be around because everything will be shut.

at one of my regular cafe stops, the owner told me she doesn't want to close, but is doing so to avoid trouble, local royalists fascists have been giving hints

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,870
    Went through Green Park earlier as we’d been into the West End. It was good to get an idea of the scale of it all. The area cordoned of for the media is vast. The floral tributes were spread over a large area and seemed to have a bit more though put into it than with Diana’s which appeared on TV to just have been dumped in a huge mound but as a result it looked like there were more.

Drew the line at walking on past the palace as there was a huge, slow moving queue. Trying to get out past St James’ palace was a pain as there was a bottleneck through the ‘porch’ area at the entrance.

Some idiots decided taking their dogs or trying to push Boris bikes through the crowd would be a good idea.
  • sungod said:

ddraver said:

at one of my regular cafe stops, the owner told me she doesn't want to close, but is doing so to avoid trouble, local royalists fascists have been giving hints

Well I observed a minute's silence at the football today. Don't mind that out of respect for everyone else as well as the loss of a life.

Sat down for the rendition of God Save The King - did half expect some aggro as I sit in quite a rowdy stand but nobody said owt. There was another spontaneous rendition during the match immediately after which we scored a late winner so all good!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I wondered why Richard Curtis was trending on twitter - was because of people begging him to be kept away from this:

• pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Like telling me that I have to take an unpaid day off work for something that I will purposely ignore. Hopefully it will be a good day on the bike, but no cafe stops. 🤬
    Without going all four Yorkshire on you I would like to moan that my bins will not be collected on Monday and won’t be for another week. As this includes my garden waste for which I pay about another £2 I will be demanding a refund and if it is not forthcoming I will continue an Epsom tradition of throwing myself in front of the king’s horse
  • ddraver

I wondered why Richard Curtis was trending on twitter - was because of people begging him to be kept away from this:

Would watch tbf...
    - @ddraver
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,620
    Interesting concept that the queue is designed to be such a thing. A ticket system with timed access could have been easily set up but the queue provides much better optics to repel future reform discussion. Interesting.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,919

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Without going all four Yorkshire on you I would like to moan that my bins will not be collected on Monday and won’t be for another week. As this includes my garden waste for which I pay about another £2 I will be demanding a refund and if it is not forthcoming I will continue an Epsom tradition of throwing myself in front of the king’s horse
    Not wishing to demean your suffering but my loss of a days wages slightly trumps your £2. I'd rather be working, avoid the whole affair and take a day off when things are open.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.