Mourning stupidity

I won't go into the farce that we are allowed 7 days of compassionate leave for the death of a close relative, but there are 10 days of mourning for the death of a total stranger.

I will instead point to the stupidity of the FA that decides to cancel all events down to grassroot football. I appreciate there will be relocation of police forces and issues at the big matches and those should be cancelled as a result, but kids' games? What are they thinking? Kids have been deprived of sport for well over an year with lockdowns and whatnot and now they have to endure this farce?
Unbelievable...
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• do you have a link and is it the same for cricket?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,593
    If only we already had a thread where people were discussing this sort of thing.
  • Pross

do you have a link and is it the same for cricket?

Today has been cancelled, they didn't mention on the news about tomorrow. If the weather in London is the same as here then cancelling today hasn't affected the match anyway.
  • I know it's all a bit Queen and Country at the moment, but soon there will be a new dawning.
  • Pross said:

do you have a link and is it the same for cricket?

Today has been cancelled, they didn't mention on the news about tomorrow. If the weather in London is the same as here then cancelling today hasn't affected the match anyway.
    they are deciding this morning but if all football cancelled then it rather forces their hand
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    edited September 2022
    . . . currently waiting on email from RFU regarding this weekend's fixtures
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,568
    Premier League still deciding.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The cancellation of the cycling, cricket, golf, horse racing and rugby was pretty much met with a deathly silence, but as soon as there's the possibility of a day without a game of footie to watch.........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389

The cancellation of the cycling, cricket, golf, horse racing and rugby was pretty much met with a deathly silence, but as soon as there's the possibility of a day without a game of footie to watch.........

Rugby hasn't been cancelled in England - RFU say crack on (respectfully)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    The BoE has cancelled the MPCC meeting (where they decide rates each month).

WTF.
  • I feel sorry for the kids for many this was the first weekend of the new season.

It's ridiculous really - this whole charade that the country is in mourning when the majority reaction ranges from mildly reflective to completely unmoved - and now I suppose mildly annoyed that their weekend has been disrupted.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Kids football cancelled until after the funeral so two weekends without them playing. Utter madness but not as mental as what RC posted about the BoE cancelling the MPCC meeting.

Wasn't part of what people loved about the Queen her stoicism and getting on with things?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154

WTF.

Is that to wait and see what people/markets do over the next week or so?

If everyone stays at home all weekend watching the telly they're not out spending money.
  • thistle_
    Local parkruns here are now cancelled :|
    As is a training course I had booked for next week :|:|
  • I have organised a coporate jolly for Tuesday and my company is threatening to cancel it - as it may be inappropriate. FFS.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,317
    thistle_ said:

WTF.

If everyone stays at home all weekend watching the telly they're not out spending money.
    Why not have no rate change then, and assess at the next meeting?

Sort of thing they could discuss at the meeting you'd think.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Dragon’s Back race is carrying on with slightly revised finish, Great North Run going ahead with a ‘subdued atmosphere’, haven’t heard what Ironman Wales is doing but I would have thought that with other things continuing and the massive financial hit it would take if cancelled now it too will go ahead.
  • thistle_
    Pross said:

Great North Run going ahead with a ‘subdued atmosphere’

This sounds sensible.

• Queen Elizabeth and Dolly Parton die on the same day, and both go before an Angel to find out if they'll be admitted to Heaven.

Unfortunately, there's only one space left that day, so the Angel must decide which of them gets in.

The Angel asks Dolly if there's some particular reason why she should go to Heaven.

Dolly takes off her top and says, "Look at these, they're the most perfect breasts God ever created, and I'm sure it will please God to be able to see them every day, for eternity".

The Angel thanks Dolly and asks Her Majesty the same question.

The Queen takes a bottle of Perrier out of her purse, and drinks it down. Then, pees into a toilet and pulls the lever.

The Angel says, "ok, your Majesty, you may go in".

Dolly is outraged and asked,"What was that all about, I show you two of God's own perfect creations and you turn me down. She pees into a toilet and she gets in! Would you explain that to me"?

"Sorry Dolly, says the Angel, but even in Heaven a Royal Flush beats a Pair no matter how big they are"
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,317
    thistle_ said:

Pross said:

Great North Run going ahead with a ‘subdued atmosphere’

This sounds sensible.

Please wear only black, no running too fast, any personal music devices must be tuned to BBC R4 or a pre approved podcast about the queen.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,817
    edited September 2022

The cancellation of the cycling, cricket, golf, horse racing and rugby was pretty much met with a deathly silence, but as soon as there's the possibility of a day without a game of footie to watch.........

Rugby hasn't been cancelled in England - RFU say crack on (respectfully)
    Do they?
    Last nights match was cancelled (or abandoned) and it's now been announced also cancelled tonight's two season openers of the Gallagher Premisership.

Okay, so they are intending to play on Saturday....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • It is all ridiculous, the public have absolutely no say in this enforced period of mourning. A 96 year old dies and we effectively remove individuals rights for a period!
  • I was explained that there might be more police presence, as they are worried about terrorism, this might put premier league and the likes at risk, so I understand the cancellations. Grassroot sport and amateur sport in general have no reason to cancel events. There are people relying on income coming from events... I don't see why they should lose out at a time when people are struggling to pay the bills... it's obscene!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Eurosport displaying a banner on screen during yesterday's Vuelta replay saying that they join the country in mourning.

Goodness knows what Carlton will have to say when the live coverage comes on.
  • Still waiting for Wetherspoons announcement that they are closing out of respect.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    mrb123 said:

Eurosport displaying a banner on screen during yesterday's Vuelta replay saying that they join the country in mourning.

Goodness knows what Carlton will have to say when the live coverage comes on.

Orla wearing black announces no Breakaway today. Thankfully we still have Carlton to lift the spirits of the nation.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    pangolin said:

thistle_ said:

WTF.

Why not have no rate change then, and assess at the next meeting?

Sort of thing they could discuss at the meeting you'd think.
    Hawkish beats mawkish
  • thistle_ said:

Local parkruns here are now cancelled :|
    As is a training course I had booked for next week :|:|

Not surprised Parkrun are always the first to cancel and the last to resume... in the summer of 2020 when most amateur sport tried to come back after lockdown 1, they didn't budge...
  • Pross
    I don't think we are unique as a country in postponing events for a few days when the country's head of state dies. I doubt the NFL would be going ahead this weekend (not sure if the season has started but you get my point) had Biden died yesterday and if Macron died in the middle of July I suspect the Tour would at least have a few stages cancelled.