Mourning stupidity

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,341
    https://youtu.be/ZZRP70zMHgo

I've actually heard someone on the radio since comment on her perfect comic timing. I mean come on.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,738
    pangolin said:

Can somebody explain the Paddington Bear significance to the Queen?

Really?
    Did you not see anything about her jubilee a couple of months ago?
    nothing, I can honestly say not a single second

That's pretty impressive. Even in my TV-less state of bah-humbug-and-hermitude I picked that one up.
    I picked up it was a thing and now I know it is something to do with the Jubilee but everybody is being coy as to what.

for instance I get the James Bond references but have no idea what part Paddington played in her Jubilee
    There was a sketch where paddington had tea with the queen.
    That must have been before Priti Vacant found out he was from deepest darkest Peru and stuck him on a plane to Rwanda.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,709

Can somebody explain the Paddington Bear significance to the Queen?

Really?
    Did you not see anything about her jubilee a couple of months ago?
    nothing, I can honestly say not a single second

That's pretty impressive. Even in my TV-less state of bah-humbug-and-hermitude I picked that one up.
    I picked up it was a thing and now I know it is something to do with the Jubilee but everybody is being coy as to what.

for instance I get the James Bond references but have no idea what part Paddington played in her Jubilee
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UfiCa244XE
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    pangolin said:

I've actually heard someone on the radio since comment on her perfect comic timing. I mean come on.

Snuffing it straight after meeting Truss was pretty impressive mind...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,901
    mrb123 said:

pangolin said:

Snuffing it after disposing of BJ was funnier though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,815

Pross said:

Also not entirely sure why the police are arresting *and charging* protesters at the event.

Christ, just section a bit off for them. It's a democracy. Good way for the King to be reminded who he's beholden to (hint, not the fictional deity in the sky).

What are they charging them with?
    No legal expert but they should charge him for whatever the law is around having sex with a trafficked minor - of which he is aware and rape.

Should get it all out in the open. If he’s innocent, let’s hear it.

Reality is everyone else involved in the ring is being found guilty but he’s not even being charged (long after he’s spent £12m in damages and he’s no longer allowed to deny he didn’t rape the victim) and we all know why.

I meant the protestors you were moaning about being arrested and charged.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,882
    Ah gotcha. Breach of the peace I believe, which is a Scottish thing.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,590
    This is pretty strange. The message kind of seems to be aimed at the royal family but I doubt any of them spend much time in Tesco New Malden and if they did, they might wonder if a TV screen above a baked beans display (there was another in the middle of a display of discounted whiskey) is an appropriate gesture.

• mrb123 said:

pangolin said:

It' seems quite likely that the time she needed to spend away from her mobility aids and whatever drip she was on in order to look normal for the cameras wasn't all that great for her.
  • I do think meeting Paddington is pretty awesome.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Pross said:

I think a few sports jumped too soon into cancelling thinking it would be expected of them but then official guidance came out basically saying do what you think is right and carry on if you want. Rugby in Wales was cancelled so I was surprised when I heard yesterday's Gloucester v Wasps match had gone ahead. I think it comes down to everyone panicking that they will be criticised and 'cancelled' if they behave normally.

Best reason I heard is that the honest truth is that the pro matches can't be played because rather a lot of the fans rather enjoy a fight and thus rather require a large police presence.

However rather than indirectly admit this, the FA have cancelled everything in the name of "respect"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,791
    edited September 2022

Pross said:

Also not entirely sure why the police are arresting *and charging* protesters at the event.

Christ, just section a bit off for them. It's a democracy. Good way for the King to be reminded who he's beholden to (hint, not the fictional deity in the sky).

What are they charging them with?
    No legal expert but they should charge him for whatever the law is around having sex with a trafficked minor - of which he is aware and rape.

Should get it all out in the open. If he’s innocent, let’s hear it.

Reality is everyone else involved in the ring is being found guilty but he’s not even being charged (long after he’s spent £12m in damages and he’s no longer allowed to deny he didn’t rape the victim) and we all know why.

I'm sure the victims take real solace from some random bloke shouting abuse so that he can feel like he's some use to society.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    edited September 2022
    E
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

I think a few sports jumped too soon into cancelling thinking it would be expected of them but then official guidance came out basically saying do what you think is right and carry on if you want. Rugby in Wales was cancelled so I was surprised when I heard yesterday's Gloucester v Wasps match had gone ahead. I think it comes down to everyone panicking that they will be criticised and 'cancelled' if they behave normally.

Best reason I heard is that the honest truth is that the pro matches can't be played because rather a lot of the fans rather enjoy a fight and thus rather require a large police presence.

However rather than indirectly admit this, the FA have cancelled everything in the name of "respect"
    Arsenal's game is off on Thursday due to the lack of police available
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,736

Stevo_666 said:

I think even the flag shaggers are getting annoyed with the saturation coverage that is ignoring what else is happening in the world.

You mean this flag?

You can't let it go, can you? ;)
    I knew you'd reply. For exactly the reason you've just given :)

The biggest flag shaggers on this forum don't shag the Union Jack ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think even the flag shaggers are getting annoyed with the saturation coverage that is ignoring what else is happening in the world.

You mean this flag?

Please do feel free to quote any flag shagging you find.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You mean this flag?

Can't let it go?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You mean this flag?

Can't let it go?

I dunno. Can you?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You mean this flag?

Can't let it go?

I dunno. Can you?
    I have nothing to let go. You have...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,093
    edited September 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You mean this flag?

Can't let it go?

I dunno. Can you?

Hmm, who posted the EU flag in a thread about mourning for the Queen? I'm happy to let others draw their own conclusions.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,791
    Please.
    Shut.
    Up.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You mean this flag?

Can't let it go?

I dunno. Can you?

Hmm, who posted the EU flag in a thread about mourning for the Queen? I'm happy to let others draw their own conclusions.
    You are on a waltzer ride with SteveO spinning your car round and round, then only way to make the music stop and for the ride to end is to step away from the keyboard.

Don’t feel bad, we all fall into the trap almost as if we are taking turns.

Now answer the question - who won the Tet Offensive?
  • TheBigBean

Wikipedia's page on this is quite long. Did the Vietnamese win?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You mean this flag?

Can't let it go?

I dunno. Can you?

It's the first time I mentioned it Euro flag shaggers - bit weak for you to claim its something I can't let go of. Now get back to wanting to not letting go of that EU flag ;)
  • Stevo_666
    edited September 2022

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You mean this flag?

Can't let it go?

I dunno. Can you?

You are on a waltzer ride with SteveO spinning your car round and round, then only way to make the music stop and for the ride to end is to step away from the keyboard.

Don’t feel bad, we all fall into the trap almost as if we are taking turns.

I was going to discuss that Brexit point with you but since you're taking that line, don't think I'll bother :)
  • Pross

E

ddraver said:

Pross said:

Arsenal's game is off on Thursday due to the lack of police available
    I can understand the Chelsea v Liverpool match being off on the weekend but Manchester Utd v Leeds being off seems a bit strange. Are the Met having to draft in officers from other forces?

• Now answer the question - who won the Tet Offensive?

Wikipedia's page on this is quite long. Did the Vietnamese win?
    militarily they got absolutely hammered and suffered their worse defeat of the war. Poitically they won as the American Generals had been telling people that the North Vietnamese were on their knees and it just needed one last push.

If you have a spare 20 hours then there is an awesome series by a bloke called Ken Burns. Spends as much time on the socil aspect as the military
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022
    Massively overrated series that, fwiw, unless you are only interested in the US perspective; the Vietnam perspective is token at best in that.
  • Pross

Massively overrated series that, fwiw, unless you are only interested in the US perspective; the Vietnam perspective is token at best in that.

Sounds like one of your graphs!
  • Massively overrated series that, fwiw, unless you are only interested in the US perspective; the Vietnam perspective is token at best in that.

that is one of the most bizarre criticisms I have ever read.

Assuming that the World at War fails on the same basis what is better? This is a genuine question as I will add them to my watch list
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022
    Never got through the World at War. Too old for me and by the time I got round to it I knew most of it already from reading from elsewhere.

I much prefer the Cold War documentary from the 90s, but I watched it pre-university, so presumably with an uncritical eye.

I got really annoyed with the Vietnam documentary. Southern Vietnamese don't even get a look in on that one. Generally it's heavy on tropes and I don't think I learned very much from it. Some of the stories are good, sure.