Mourning stupidity

Comments

• Back from my ride which I cut short due to what appeared to be snowflakes but in fact, was light drizzle. Guess I’ll need to get my snowflakes elsewhere.

Well anyway, I’ve come back to issue the following statement:

An apology.

I note from the posts above that my previous post has been “flagged” or something. Not really sure what this means but guess it means I upset someone. It has been suggested that this was because I mentioned “e*r w*x”.... I’ve been careful not to compound my error by mentioning it again.

If this is the case, then I can only issue a heartfelt apology and confirm that I will never fall into the trap of believing we have free speech in this country and can talk about such things openly, given that we appear to be mostly adults here. I note there are other threads here which ask searching question so believed I was at liberty to raise such an important issue: W*x build up in ones ears is no joke and can result in all types of complications.

To conclude, I am sorry for upsetting someone. It won’t happen again as the rest of my afternoon will be spent looking at my Strava results and cleaning the cat litter tray.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,371
    Glad you managed a ride, some people are offended by anything. Certainly not worth worrying about, feel free to tell us about your earwax or anything whenever you fancy. Unfortunately I doubt the phantom flagger will ever say what they object to, maybe it's people from Essex.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,919
    edited September 2022
    I just completed a 3 hour 40 minutes silent vigil in remembrance. I think 106 kms is probably my furthest non-stop cycle. Thing is still on, got to find things to do...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    ddraver said:
    Not much point committing her to memory to be fair.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Now I’m thinking you flagged yourself.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,456

Richmond park not empty, but fewer cars. Nice.

Quite. Enjoyed a gentle wobble in the park this morning until my son managed to drop and jam his chain.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,456
    The coffin looked suspiciously light to me.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    edited September 2022
    seanoconn said:

The coffin looked suspiciously light to me.

Perhaps the flights of angels have already taken her up...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,763
    ddraver said:
    That probably says more about the competence of the reporters in question.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    Good Lord, I took the mutt out and it's still going on! Still the same blooming song and everything!
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    My wife is watching the proceedings so I catch snippets.
    Highlight so far is "the most excellent monarch." I heard Bill & Ted. 🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,868
    My daughter ended up being interviewed by German TV in Hyde Park
  • I think this is a vaguely persuasive argument for monarchy.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/politics-didnt-get-a-look-in-at-the-queens-funeral-and-that-means-the-monarchy-is-working-1865608

That’s the great advantage of the system. It works by disconnecting politics from national ceremony. The dangerous power of symbolism and ritual – the sceptre and orb, the draped flag, the vast spaces, the robotic uniform movements of the military personnel – was extracted from tribalism. All the stuff that’s so loved by fascists and communists, adored by vainglorious leaders and cultivated by presidents is cocooned into this silly harmless world of broad brushwork royal pomp.

So in the end, all the chatter about diplomatic etiquette and guest lists came to nothing. For once, no one cared what they did or whether they were even there. World leaders became as obscure as everyone else. And monarchy did what it was designed to do.
  • I have been out all day, is it over yet?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,603
    to paraphrase pkd...

the creature from between dimensions said, "we are no longer in the mundane universe. lower-plane categories of material existence such as 'space' and 'time' no longer apply to you. you have been elevated to the transcendent realm. the funeral will be repeated to you ceaselessly, in shifts, throughout eternity. it will never end."
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I have been out all day, is it over yet?

Not sure, but from what I've seen en passant, it's inter-minable.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited September 2022
    Pross said:

My daughter ended up being interviewed by German TV in Hyde Park

das ist gut, ja?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,921
    edited September 2022
    Real lockdown vibes today.

Really did not enjoy it at all.

• I just went for a bike ride and ended up chatting to a poorly friend for four hours instead (and she showed me the Merlin app for identifying bird calls, which I'll have to hedge-test tomorrow). A bit more sunshine and it would have been lovely, pretty empty roads and all that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,868
    Just saw a few minutes of the funeral. I wouldn’t have wanted the job of the coffin bearers, it was bad enough when I did the job for my cousins funeral all I had to do was lift it if the gurney and take a few steps then lower it at the cemetery. I was terrified I’d drop her.

Up on the shoulders, doing fancy turns and going up steps with hundreds of millions watching would have been a definite drop and / or falling over!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    Pross said:

Just saw a few minutes of the funeral. I wouldn’t have wanted the job of the coffin bearers, it was bad enough when I did the job for my cousins funeral all I had to do was lift it if the gurney and take a few steps then lower it at the cemetery. I was terrified I’d drop her.

Up on the shoulders, doing fancy turns and going up steps with hundreds of millions watching would have been a definite drop and / or falling over!

Lead lined too.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,725
    Pross said:

I assumed they had a lot more muscle than me and it was broadly the equivalent of me holding a laptop.
  • I listened to Roy Slaven's touching story of when the Queen met his horse, Rooting King.
  • I think this is a vaguely persuasive argument for monarchy.

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/politics-didnt-get-a-look-in-at-the-queens-funeral-and-that-means-the-monarchy-is-working-1865608

That’s the great advantage of the system. It works by disconnecting politics from national ceremony. The dangerous power of symbolism and ritual – the sceptre and orb, the draped flag, the vast spaces, the robotic uniform movements of the military personnel – was extracted from tribalism. All the stuff that’s so loved by fascists and communists, adored by vainglorious leaders and cultivated by presidents is cocooned into this silly harmless world of broad brushwork royal pomp.

So in the end, all the chatter about diplomatic etiquette and guest lists came to nothing. For once, no one cared what they did or whether they were even there. World leaders became as obscure as everyone else. And monarchy did what it was designed to do.
    Possibly, and hopefully. Which is why I hope anyone who thinks the King might get involved in what they say are important issues is very wrong.

This week should change absolutely nothing. If it does, we have a problem.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,973
    Pross said:

The coffin reportedly weighed between 250-317 kg!
    It was the same 8 soldiers at all the London 'movings'.
    So a bit more than a laptop each! (Unless it was a 1970s laptop of course!)
    The estimated global TV audience was 4 billion, so about half the world's population.
  • pblakeney

Pross said:

The coffin reportedly weighed between 250-317 kg!
    It was the same 8 soldiers at all the London 'movings'.
    So a bit more than a laptop each! (Unless it was a 1970s laptop of course!)
    The estimated global TV audience was 4 billion, so about half the world's population.
    I find that very hard to take seriously, especially as @ half would be asleep.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Is this the greatest "Phil Space" of the week?