Energy thread

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    When did this objection to solar energy start? I'm assuming it's fairly recent as they've been popping up for a while now with no questions at all. Also regarding fracking these people are against energy which literally falls out of the sky but are all in for more of an energy source which appears to have already screwed the climate? Genius.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

When did this objection to solar energy start? I'm assuming it's fairly recent as they've been popping up for a while now with no questions at all. Also regarding fracking these people are against energy which literally falls out of the sky but are all in for more of an energy source which appears to have already screwed the climate? Genius.

Quality of farmland has always been an important factor, but there does seem to be more noise against solar in general.
  • TheBigBean
    It's a shame the UK largely stopped solar building for a while as building now costs a lot more.
  • TheBigBean
    oxoman said:

Locally a huge solar farm was thrown out at planning stage because it took out a huge area of top quality fields. The fields are used year on year for potato growing mainly for a well known crisp manufacturer. The other objection is that there is still huge areas of brownfield that isn't considered. Loads of old WW11 airfields sat around not really utilised because they left the old runways down. Plenty of room on factory and school roofs as well.

They are small and not economically viable.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

rjsterry said:

Says someone who is neither 70 nor a teenager.
    Seems quite bitter for some reason.
    The big difference is when you did get ice on the inside of the window, most rooms had a fireplace. Boasting about not having central heating is less impressive when you just mean that you had to light the fire.
    At the risk of digressing, I would dispute the idea that most rooms had a fireplace.
    Georgian mansions maybe, Geordie terraced not so much.
    Count the chimney pots if you don't believe me.

My 1930s council house had a fireplace in all but one bedroom.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

I don't know a huge amount about the energy market so excuse my ignorance but if Norway are proposing stopping exports of their gas why are we not doing the same with North Sea gas? Would that make us self-sufficient?

I'm sure fracking will be on the agenda now.
    It is, and a certain party is still doing it's best to stop it.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/08/27/ed-davey-proud-have-stopped-fracking-despite-energy-crisis/
    Safe to say that with the planning system as it is, any fracking operation not already up and running will not be helping out this winter.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    We only had a coal fire in the living room and an electric bar heater in the bathroom until we went all electric in the early 70s.
    And then a bar heater only replaced the coal fire in the living room (no other rooms) until central heating was installed following the 3 day week etc.
    To this day none of our bedrooms have the heating turned on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

We only had a coal fire in the living room and an electric bar heater in the bathroom until we went all electric in the early 70s.
    And then a bar heater only replaced the coal fire in the living room (no other rooms) until central heating was installed following the 3 day week etc.

I lived in a semi in the late 60s, then went into a renovated cottage in that early 70s with exactly the same set up you describe.

I am surprised to learn that council houses were so much better equipped than similar private dwellings to deal with the much colder winters that were the norm back then.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I don't know a huge amount about the energy market so excuse my ignorance but if Norway are proposing stopping exports of their gas why are we not doing the same with North Sea gas? Would that make us self-sufficient?

No
    Fair enough.
    I think we would be fine

pblakeney said:

I lived in a semi in the late 60s, then went into a renovated cottage in that early 70s with exactly the same set up you describe.

I am surprised to learn that council houses were so much better equipped than similar private dwellings to deal with the much colder winters that were the norm back then.
    My Manc relatives were private rented and none had fires upstairs
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I don't know a huge amount about the energy market so excuse my ignorance but if Norway are proposing stopping exports of their gas why are we not doing the same with North Sea gas? Would that make us self-sufficient?

https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/08/27/ed-davey-proud-have-stopped-fracking-despite-energy-crisis/
    I can think of better ways to improve energy security.
    Maybe. But why would you want to stop one way of making things better?
    Because it makes a lot of other things worse?

In the short term we can’t afford the fossil fuels, collectively, without becoming a lot poorer.

In the long term we can’t afford the fossil fuels as it’ll make the planet or large swathes of it uninhabitable.

That should be obvious to everyone.

So you think the solution is to go and drill for more oil and gas anyway?
    We have a short term issue here, so we need solutions that can ease that. You can look eco stuff in the medium to long term.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Safe to say that with the planning system as it is, any fracking operation not already up and running will not be helping out this winter.
    Maybe. Seems that it would have been easier if Ed Davey etc had not been putting a spoke in the wheels previously.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    oxoman said:

We moved into a 1970s semi house in 1972 with no central heating. It had 1 coal fire with backboiler and an immersion htr. Believe me it got cold even when we fitted a gas heater on the landing it didn't get much better. We got ice on the inside of the windows as they were metal in wooden frames. Modern at the time but useless.

pblakeney said:

True, there was a period after coal fires falling out of favour when developers built houses that really needed central heating (no fireplace except maybe a gas or electric fire in the living room) but the CH was not installed, presumably as a cost saving.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe. Seems that it would have been easier if Ed Davey etc had not been putting a spoke in the wheels previously.
    Who knows; they're all at it. I think Truss is currently campaigning against PV . Energy seems to be one of those things everyone wants to be produced elsewhere. And the timescale of projects is too long for politicians attention spans. I remember Hinckley Point C being planned while I was still at school and Pross is only working on it now.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Says someone who is neither 70 nor a teenager.
    Seems quite bitter for some reason.
    The big difference is when you did get ice on the inside of the window, most rooms had a fireplace. Boasting about not having central heating is less impressive when you just mean that you had to light the fire.
    At the risk of digressing, I would dispute the idea that most rooms had a fireplace.
    Georgian mansions maybe, Geordie terraced not so much.
    Count the chimney pots if you don't believe me.

My 1930s council house had a fireplace in all but one bedroom.
    Yup, ~1904 terrace here and we have 2 fireplaces upstairs and 2 downstairs.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

In the short term we can’t afford the fossil fuels, collectively, without becoming a lot poorer.

In the long term we can’t afford the fossil fuels as it’ll make the planet or large swathes of it uninhabitable.

We have a short term issue here, so we need solutions that can ease that. You can look eco stuff in the medium to long term.
    Fracking is no more a short term solution than other energies are.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I really do not understand their aversion to solar. It seems so stupid.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who knows; they're all at it. I think Truss is currently campaigning against PV . Energy seems to be one of those things everyone wants to be produced elsewhere. And the timescale of projects is too long for politicians attention spans. I remember Hinckley Point C being planned while I was still at school and Pross is only working on it now.
    Also, who knows about timescales, both of how long the Russia issue will persist and how long it takes more fracking to come back on stream.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Fracking is no more a short term solution than other energies are.

See my point above.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Also, who knows about timescales, both of how long the Russia issue will persist and how long it takes more fracking to come back on stream.
    As of April 2022 there has been no commercial production of shale gas in UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shale_gas_in_the_United_Kingdom

Regarding solar farms, back in The Valley there was a proposal for PVs in a field next village of Burcot which lies downwind of prevailing direction of now closed Didcot A coal fired and operational Didcot B gas fired. So from 1970 to 2014 locals enjoyed repeated smoke and ash falls.

Campaigners against solar farm went full conspiracy mode, with risks of lithium poisoning and all sorts of other BS pumped out. Maybe 40 years of coal fired effluents affects the brain.

Given it's The Valley that farmland will disappear under housing estates instead. Win some, ...
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Russia invaded Ukraine 8 years ago. LibDems were last in government 7 years ago. If they had wanted to push it through they could have, but it is wildly unpopular regardless of who is in power. In any case we should be moving to using less gas, not finding ways to get the stuff that wasn't previously viable. PV is relatively quick to set up and cheap compared with fracking.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

As of April 2022 there has been no commercial production of shale gas in UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shale_gas_in_the_United_Kingdom

Regarding solar farms, back in The Valley there was a proposal for PVs in a field next village of Burcot which lies downwind of prevailing direction of now closed Didcot A coal fired and operational Didcot B gas fired. So from 1970 to 2014 locals enjoyed repeated smoke and ash falls.

Campaigners against solar farm went full conspiracy mode, with risks of lithium poisoning and all sorts of other BS pumped out. Maybe 40 years of coal fired effluents affects the brain.

Given it's The Valley that farmland will disappear under housing estates instead. Win some, ...
    I could just remove the word 'more' then? Point still stands.

• Stevo_666
    edited August 2022
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

In any case we should be moving to using less gas, not finding ways to get the stuff that wasn't previously viable.
    As a short to medium term solution, we should be looking at both - IMO. Unless you are sure we can reduce usage enough to be OK.

No issues with PV here, although in the short term it doesn't help people who heat their homes and cook with gas.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

In any case we should be moving to using less gas, not finding ways to get the stuff that wasn't previously viable.
    As a short to medium term solution, we should be looking at both - IMO. Unless you are sure we can reduce usage enough to be OK.

No issues with PV here, although in the short term it doesn't help people who heat their homes and cook with gas.
    The short and medium term solution is not fracking it is more gas storage.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    Have to say at times like this it does suck being a sole earner for the household. For the same earnings you do really get spanked.

I'm above the £45k threshold which the gov't said today is about the threshold for people struggling to pay the bills but it really isn't fun being materially poorer.

I was with Bristol Energy on a decent fixed, but since they went bust that was all cancelled.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

The short and medium term solution is not fracking it is more gas storage.
    Like this?
    https://thechemicalengineer.com/news/uk-gas-storage-capacity-set-to-double-amid-concerns-that-supply-shortages-could-force-industry-closures/#:~:text=Current%20gas%20storage%20in%20the,the%20winter%20of%202023%2F24.
  • rjsterry
    edited August 2022
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Can you see a fracking operation in the North Downs being popular? Would you support it if there was shale gas there (which there is if not in useful quantities)?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Can you see a fracking operation in the North Downs being popular? Would you support it if there was shale gas there (which there is if not in useful quantities)?
    A mate of mine works in the gas industry and whilst he is broadly in favour of fracking thinks that doing it where people live is madness
  • rick_chasey
    Seems that Truss is desperate for the problem to be solved by tax cuts but it’s about as wrong as it can be in this instance.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,268

Seems that Truss is desperate for the problem to be solved by tax cuts but it’s about as wrong as it can be in this instance.

the conservative party has spent the last six years deliberately damaging the uk, can't see it changing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    What use is a tax cut to someone already not earning very much?

Say you’re on £24k and your energy bill has gone up from £1200 a year to £7000 a year. What use is a tax cut going to be?