Energy thread

Comments

• If we get a pound for every time an oldie says “back in my younger days we just wore jumpers” in the next six months, I recon we’ll pay off about half of the price increase

One day Rick, it’s coming for you too.

I think Pross mentioned up thread about power cuts and blackouts.
    At least we oldie’s know what to expect.
    I hope you know how to light candles and that the back of that sofa of yours is fireproof.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

If we get a pound for every time an oldie says “back in my younger days we just wore jumpers” in the next six months, I recon we’ll pay off about half of the price increase

It's the old that are mostly affected. The kids can get away with just wearing a bit more.
    Exactly!
    It's hard to know with your ageism what you are actually getting at. Wear a jumper seems like sound advice.
    There is helpful advice and there are people doing the four Yorkshiremen bit to belittle the issue.
    It's the equivalent of reminding people to drink water when it is hot. Some people haven't experienced hot weather or slept in cold rooms. They should be reassured that they will survive.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

If we get a pound for every time an oldie says “back in my younger days we just wore jumpers” in the next six months, I recon we’ll pay off about half of the price increase

It's the old that are mostly affected. The kids can get away with just wearing a bit more.
    Exactly!
    It's hard to know with your ageism what you are actually getting at. Wear a jumper seems like sound advice.
    There is helpful advice and there are people doing the four Yorkshiremen bit to belittle the issue.
    It's the equivalent of reminding people to drink water when it is hot. Some people haven't experienced hot weather or slept in cold rooms. They should be reassured that they will survive.
    That is not the kind of comment I was referring to.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    I don't get the bog roll run thing, The Romans used a sponge on a stick, eco friendly, washable, what's not to like.

Obviously, you have your own stick sponge combo.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

• Says someone who is neither 70 nor a teenager.
    Seems quite bitter for some reason.
  • focuszing723
    I always think about wildlife in the winter. Poor birds shivering, with just their feathers and down to keep warm. I feel bad if I don't put food out and make sure there is water which isn't frozen.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904

I can assure you neither EDF nor Centrica do much in the way of drilling for oil & gas.

• focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    The French nuclear company EDF is suing its own government for €8.3bn (£7bn) after it was forced to sell energy to consumers at a loss.

The company, which is being nationalised by the French state, has filed a compensation claim over the extension of the country’s price cap in January.

Emmanuel Macron’s government forced EDF to sell more of its power to rivals at prices below the market rates as officials attempted to tackle the cost of living crisis and support households.

The energy company has to sell electricity to rivals at a heavy discount as a counterbalance to its monopoly position. French officials increased the cap on the discount by a fifth in January, hitting its finances.

EDF said the move meant it had to sell energy at a loss. In the claim, filed at the French administrative supreme court, the Conseil d’Etat, it said losses have totalled €8.3bn “estimated to date”, implying that the measure could cost the company more than €15bn over the year.

The nuclear energy giant had previously estimated the administrative changes could cost between €7.7bn and €8.4bn. It posted its largest ever half-year loss last month, notching up €5.3bn, compared with a profit of €4.2bn a year earlier.

EDF is 84% owned by the French government and last month officials revealed plans to buy the remaining 16% for €12 a share, working out at an estimated total of €9.7bn.

The government hopes nationalising the debt-laden company will help secure energy supplies in the country after the war in Ukraine left countries hunting for new sources of power to replace Russian imports.

Last month, an association of EDF employee shareholders said it planned to sue the French state over its nationalisation plans, arguing that the decision goes against the interest of the company and the minority shareholders.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/10/edf-sues-french-government-for-7bn-after-forced-to-sell-energy-at-a-loss-macron-price-cap

Wholesale electricity generation market share in Great Britain 2020. In 2020, EDF was the leading company in the wholesale electricity generation market in Great Britain (GB), with a share of 21 percent.

Interesting.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

I don't get the bog roll run thing, The Romans used a sponge on a stick, eco friendly, washable, what's not to like.

Obviously, you have your own stick sponge combo.

It was a communal sponge 🤮
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

Says someone who is neither 70 nor a teenager.
    The big difference is when you did get ice on the inside of the window, most rooms had a fireplace. Boasting about not having central heating is less impressive when you just mean that you had to light the fire.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    mully79 said:

I can assure you neither EDF nor Centrica do much in the way of drilling for oil & gas.

You know their margins are already capped, right?
  • rjsterry said:

The big difference is when you did get ice on the inside of the window, most rooms had a fireplace. Boasting about not having central heating is less impressive when you just mean that you had to light the fire.
    At the risk of digressing, I would dispute the idea that most rooms had a fireplace.
    Georgian mansions maybe, Geordie terraced not so much.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    oxoman said:

We moved into a 1970s semi house in 1972 with no central heating. It had 1 coal fire with backboiler and an immersion htr. Believe me it got cold even when we fitted a gas heater on the landing it didn't get much better. We got ice on the inside of the windows as they were metal in wooden frames. Modern at the time but useless.

Glad the stuff inside the frames has gone back to glass these days, those do sound awful.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • focuszing723
    Lewes MP Maria Caulfield, who had previously been against the plans, welcomed the findings of the new report.

Ms Caulfield said: “Many of the residents I have spoken to regarding this were concerned about the loss of agricultural land.

"Despite what Ovesco have previously stated about the quality of the land, this new report shows just what residents have been saying, namely that the site is extremely good for agricultural use.

"I am pleased that this has now been confirmed, with only a small part of the site deemed to be Moderate Quality Agricultural Land and the rest of it being of higher quality.”

Ms Caulfield continued: “The fact that the Council’s own Cabinet Member for Sustainability has said the report ‘calls into question the feasibility of the Ovesco solar farm project’ surely means it is time for Ovesco to withdraw plans for this solar farm in Ringmer.

"It is also time that the Lib Dem and Green run Lewes District Council use the £100,000 of taxpayers’ money that was to fund this for something better.

"An example could be keeping Ringmer Swimming Pool open, something that would benefit local people in the village.”
    https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/people/ringmer-solar-farm-latest-ovesco-reports-labelled-as-disappointing-as-politicians-call-for-plans-to-be-scrapped-3807432

For context, basically the project was being considered because it was claimed the land was of "lower grade" for agriculture, turns out it's excellent.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    #toryscum gonna keep on NIMBYing innit.
  • rick_chasey

Lewes MP Maria Caulfield, who had previously been against the plans, welcomed the findings of the new report.

Ms Caulfield said: “Many of the residents I have spoken to regarding this were concerned about the loss of agricultural land.

"Despite what Ovesco have previously stated about the quality of the land, this new report shows just what residents have been saying, namely that the site is extremely good for agricultural use.

"I am pleased that this has now been confirmed, with only a small part of the site deemed to be Moderate Quality Agricultural Land and the rest of it being of higher quality.”

Ms Caulfield continued: “The fact that the Council’s own Cabinet Member for Sustainability has said the report ‘calls into question the feasibility of the Ovesco solar farm project’ surely means it is time for Ovesco to withdraw plans for this solar farm in Ringmer.

"It is also time that the Lib Dem and Green run Lewes District Council use the £100,000 of taxpayers’ money that was to fund this for something better.

"An example could be keeping Ringmer Swimming Pool open, something that would benefit local people in the village.”
    https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/people/ringmer-solar-farm-latest-ovesco-reports-labelled-as-disappointing-as-politicians-call-for-plans-to-be-scrapped-3807432

For context, basically the project was being considered because it was claimed the land was of "lower grade" for agriculture, turns out it's excellent.
    They’ll always find something. They’re never suggesting anywhere better nearby are they?
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022

They’ll always find something. They’re never suggesting anywhere better nearby are they?
    Either the land is poor for agriculture or excellent. Foods damn important too!
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    orraloon said:

#toryscum gonna keep on NIMBYing innit.

It seems pretty scummy in Edinburgh at the moment, Nicola Sturgeon should concentrate on sorting that out.
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    It is rather damning of the party that Clegg, who hasn’t been with the party for 7 years, is still the main draw.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, anecdote alert.

I’m terrible in the cold and hate cold houses so I was out in town buying thermals in anticipation for all of this.

Really noticeably quieter, and the staff all agreed as it quiet enough I could natter with them.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049

I don't know a huge amount about the energy market so excuse my ignorance but if Norway are proposing stopping exports of their gas why are we not doing the same with North Sea gas? Would that make us self-sufficient?

I'm sure fracking will be on the agenda now.
    It is, and a certain party is still doing it's best to stop it.
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/08/27/ed-davey-proud-have-stopped-fracking-despite-energy-crisis/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

I don't know a huge amount about the energy market so excuse my ignorance but if Norway are proposing stopping exports of their gas why are we not doing the same with North Sea gas? Would that make us self-sufficient?

https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/08/27/ed-davey-proud-have-stopped-fracking-despite-energy-crisis/
    I can think of better ways to improve energy security.
  • tailwindhome
    Opinion on fracking seems divided on established culture war lines, but knowing nothing about it, I've no idea why

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

Anyway, expect more shortages of other things (in this instance Germany and Slovakia)

What can we do to reduce toilet paper usage? How long before there's rationing to 5 pieces per person per day? Bring back sponges on sticks?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,049
    edited August 2022

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe. But why would you want to stop one way of making things better?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    rjsterry said:

Just had to light the fire in the morning with ice on the windows, then wait ages for it to produce heat in one room.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe. But why would you want to stop one way of making things better?
    Because it makes a lot of other things worse?

In the short term we can’t afford the fossil fuels, collectively, without becoming a lot poorer.

In the long term we can’t afford the fossil fuels as it’ll make the planet or large swathes of it uninhabitable.

That should be obvious to everyone.

So you think the solution is to go and drill for more oil and gas anyway?