Energy thread

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    By the way, I watched a Grand Designs, so I'm and expert on it.
  • focuszing723
    Passive house thingy, nightmare...the usual Kevin McCloud asking probing questions about cost and hows relationship holding up.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

What I don't understand is why the balance between going bust and making outrageous profits has to be so thin... surely the price of energy could be a bit lower and profits could reflect that... I don't know how much difference would it make to the bills, but it would be the decent thing to do... supermarkets try to do that, and so should the energy firms... there should be an investigation into what seems to me a cartel

Energy firms are middle men. They buy the gas wholesale from drillers.

There is not enough gas to go around without Russian gas.
  • I don't know a huge amount about the energy market so excuse my ignorance but if Norway are proposing stopping exports of their gas why are we not doing the same with North Sea gas? Would that make us self-sufficient?
  • focuszing723

I don't know a huge amount about the energy market so excuse my ignorance but if Norway are proposing stopping exports of their gas why are we not doing the same with North Sea gas? Would that make us self-sufficient?

I'm sure fracking will be on the agenda now.
  • It just seems to be putting a plaster over a gaping wound. Again, no long term planning for anything.
  • rick_chasey

I don't know a huge amount about the energy market so excuse my ignorance but if Norway are proposing stopping exports of their gas why are we not doing the same with North Sea gas? Would that make us self-sufficient?

No
  • I don't know a huge amount about the energy market so excuse my ignorance but if Norway are proposing stopping exports of their gas why are we not doing the same with North Sea gas? Would that make us self-sufficient?

No
    Fair enough.
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
  • rick_chasey
    You need to see the gas market mayhem as basically a signal there is not enough gas to go around.

• rick_chasey
    The US secretary for energy today: "Given the historic level of U.S. refined product exports, I again urge you to focus in the near term on building inventories in the United States"

Ie tough luck Europe
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

I still can't get my head around why there is so little talk about insulating buildings properly. It's very possible to build so that no heating is required at all, and the government paying off the energy firms so that we can carry on burning what will be an even more limited resource just seems nuts.

The problem is there would be a load of cowboy companies set up by Tory donors that would win the contracts and fail to deliver a proper job.
    Oh well let's not bother then.
    I'm not disagreeing, it's such an obvious mitigation that not only saves money in the current 'energy crisis' but would also help with 'climate emergency' (I hate that everything has to be branded a crisis or emergency these days). It's a no brainer, especially when the Government seems able to find money at will for other projects. I'm just cynical at how the reality of that sort of thing usually turns out, I worked with so many solar companies 10 years ago when they were getting massive grants and whilst there were some good ones who are still around today there semed to be a load of chancers that came along to take the money. They were desperate to get started on site before the money stopped rolling in. I think there were similar issues with that insulating programme mentioned in one of the other threads.

I suppose the other issue with spending the money on insulating homes is that it doesn't give any immediate relief to the current 'crisis' and the Government is all about the short term and how to get voted in at the next election. Saying 'we know it's going to cost you extra this year but we are spending £100 billion insulating everyone's home so that you bills will drop significantly forever' won't appeal to the masses. Being 'given' £400 is much nicer.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391

I'm sure fracking will be on the agenda now.
    This is the how we've got where we are today. For decades the emphasis to finite resources hasn't been how can we reduce our reliance on the resource it has been how can we get more of the resource even when we know using it is causing major problems for the not-so-long term.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    rjsterry said:

the government just seems nuts.

Lightly edited.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

I still can't get my head around why there is so little talk about insulating buildings properly. It's very possible to build so that no heating is required at all, and the government paying off the energy firms so that we can carry on burning what will be an even more limited resource just seems nuts.

The problem is there would be a load of cowboy companies set up by Tory donors that would win the contracts and fail to deliver a proper job.
    I don't think it's easy though is it? Ventilation, windows facing the correct direction (which you had a crack at me for). Also, how much does it cost?

Another thing, why haven't you converted your own house?
    I didn't say it was easy or cheap, but it is probably less costly than bailing out half the country and fueling inflation.

I've done what I can afford so far to my own place and will be doing more this autumn. I would love to do more. If the government is subsidising things to stop people freezing it should subsidise the right things. They need to plug the whole in the boat, not just pump faster.

Apologies for having a crack, but large south-facing windows cause as many problems as they solve (think about the summer we have just had). That's not to say orientation and size of windows shouldn't be considered when planning new buildings.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2022
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

I don't think it's easy though is it? Ventilation, windows facing the correct direction (which you had a crack at me for). Also, how much does it cost?

I didn't say it was easy or cheap, but it is probably less costly than bailing out half the country and fueling inflation.

I've done what I can afford so far to my own place and will be doing more this autumn. I would love to do more. If the government is subsidising things to stop people freezing it should subsidise the right things. They need to plug the whole in the boat, not just pump faster.

Apologies for having a crack, but large south-facing windows cause as many problems as they solve (think about the summer we have just had). That's not to say orientation and size of windows shouldn't be considered when planning new buildings.
    Well, like I said you aren't dealing with any old idiot here, I've watched Grand Designs!

No, yeah, you're right. It would at least be good to see things move it that direction. I do see it around in some developments. I know must be tricky for developers too, restricted land, trying to make a profit, more rules and regulations to jump through.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Well, like I said you aren't dealing with any old idiot here, I've watched Grand Designs!

No, yeah, you're right. It would at least be good to see things move it that direction. I do see it around in some developments. I know must be tricky for developers too, restricted land, trying to make a profit, more rules and regulations to jump through.
    The regs on new build are fine; it's the stock of existing buildings that need to be addressed.

And the less said about GD the better. It's a travesty.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey

The US secretary for energy today: "Given the historic level of U.S. refined product exports, I again urge you to focus in the near term on building inventories in the United States"

Ie tough luck Europe

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,174

Might be a good time to stock up on candles and warm

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

The regs on new build are fine; it's the stock of existing buildings that need to be addressed.
    Someone mentioned it before, but I really don’t see the problem in making PV panels mandatory in (just about all) new build. Even if there were supply issues houses could be made pv ready. A few grand extra on the building cost is nothing.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904

What I don't understand is why the balance between going bust and making outrageous profits has to be so thin... surely the price of energy could be a bit lower and profits could reflect that... I don't know how much difference would it make to the bills, but it would be the decent thing to do... supermarkets try to do that, and so should the energy firms... there should be an investigation into what seems to me a cartel

Energy firms are middle men. They buy the gas wholesale from drillers.

There is not enough gas to go around without Russian gas.
    Energy firms are middle men in the same way Apple are a company based in Jersey.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    I can assure you neither EDF nor Centrica do much in the way of drilling for oil & gas.
  • focuszing723
    I can't see "jumpers for cold folks" on there.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    If we get a pound for every time an oldie says “back in my younger days we just wore jumpers” in the next six months, I recon we’ll pay off about half of the price increase
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

If we get a pound for every time an oldie says “back in my younger days we just wore jumpers” in the next six months, I recon we’ll pay off about half of the price increase

It's the old that are mostly affected. The kids can get away with just wearing a bit more.
  • rick_chasey

It's the old that are mostly affected. The kids can get away with just wearing a bit more.
    Exactly!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750

Exactly!
    It's hard to know with your ageism what you are actually getting at. Wear a jumper seems like sound advice.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

Exactly!
    It's hard to know with your ageism what you are actually getting at. Wear a jumper seems like sound advice.
    It's far too vague. I can't stand woolly advice.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey

Exactly!
    There is helpful advice and there are people doing the four Yorkshiremen bit to belittle the issue.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2022
    Anyway, expect more shortages of other things (in this instance Germany and Slovakia)