Tourist Trophy

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    OK, in case it's not clear, I have not once argued for a banning, so can we ditch that strawman?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    So is it not being banned then?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

The TT is low on the list of sports events that need banning. Many years ago it was on the world championship circuit but riders campaigned to have it removed as they felt the ranking points meant they were being forced to enter a race they deemed too dangerous. This was in the era of Barry Sheene so my memory may be playing tricks on me

That's my understanding to, although I haven't looked it up recently. Agree with the TT being low on the 'list of things to be banned'...

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,073
    MattFalle said:

Lets take a moment here at the juncture. What have were learnt?

That people want the TT banned, then they don't, then they do, then they want to send motorbike racers to fight Russian tanks in Ukraine.
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

So Focuszing changed the quote to suit his own needs?

#bstard

So he's a pathetic thick stupid bstard now?

When does it end?

Not now. Not after this post.

We enjoy the luxuries of the West from healthcare to a certain standard of living and one could effectively argue that often this is at the expense of other human beings and the environment.
    There are sufficient numbers of drug users in the UK who's activities fuel an insidious drug industry where barons exploit and where often the money is used to finance civil wars where very young boys are given guns and are trained to shoot them.
    ...and of course Diamond mining for the bling on the necks and the wrists and the fingers of the rich - where there is enforced and slave labour to extract them and this finances... you see where I am going. I could go on ad infinitum. But of course we don't see that 'cos we live in the cosseted, 'safe' developed world.
    We are directly and indirectly responsible for climate change and all the implications of that.
    Maybe the smog and pollution from factories that smelt and purify Bauxite under less stringent rules that kills people and marine life in foreign countries because of our Aluminium consumption is not at the forefront of our minds but it happens. The Aluminium that forms the fuselage of the Airplane which we climb on to jet off to sunny climbs has probably been made at the expense of people's lives and the environment but we don't think about that.
    [You can read the abstract if you want the link]

Alcoholism in the UK kills approx. 8000 per annum.
    Drug addiction: 4500
    Road deaths 1750 (2019)
    Heart disease: 160,000 per annum
    Cancer: 167,000
    Smoking: 78,000

Yet having a motorbike race in your back yard where people do and can die gets people jumping up and down a bit.
    I'm sat in a car so I can't jump around. Taking your list, we do quite a lot in order to reduce each of those and the figures would be much much higher if we didn't. I don't think we get all of them right (addiction).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,881
    edited June 2022

Depends if you value the life of horse as much as people, surely?

I mean, I eat horsemeat when I'm abroad from time to time, so I'm hardly going to be too prissy about horses.

OK, in case it's not clear, I have not once argued for a banning, so can we ditch that strawman?

What about if only "Boomers" were aloud to ride the TT?

I shouldn't have respond to a Horse eater though really.
  • focuszing723

Lets take a moment here at this juncture. What have were learnt?

We've learnt that you make up quotes in order to make a juvenile gag worthy of a 10 year old. Unless you are actually 10....
    Love you.
  • rick_chasey
    Lol there goes something that's trivially annoying, brits & yanks being fussy about eating horsemeat.
  • rjsterry
    MattFalle said:

No.

On this we all agree.

I think some of us think they could may try harder to have fewer people dying but that's about it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723

Lol there goes something that's trivially annoying, brits & yanks being fussy about eating horsemeat.

Horse Eater!

What about only Boomers being able to ride the TT, OK?
  • focuszing723
    See, Ricks keen on the old Boomers whizzing round knee to the ground.

Whilst he's nonchalantly scoffing a Horse, no doubt.
  • focuszing723
    A HORSE!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    rjsterry said:

MattFalle said:

No.

On this we all agree.

I think some of us think they could may try harder to have fewer people dying but that's about it.
    Cool.

Glad thats sorted. Top stuff.

#vrooomvrooom

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • focuszing723
    I bet Imposter 2.0 and 2.5 eat Horse too.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135

A horse has got personality, personality goes a long way.
  • rjsterry

A HORSE!

Best thing for them. 😋
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,084

That's bollox.
    Horses do not have a choice.
    You are compelling X number of horses to their deaths all because some people want to bet on a national 'tradition'.
    (In other national hunt races, the incidence of death is far lower statistically. Like the TT is to Moto GP).

And I do like horse racing. I'm not anti-horse racing but the GN is brutal. It's not worth betting on because it is a lottery. So people like betting on a race where animals could die with little regard for the horses welfare.
    You bet on a race where animals die frequently but you are uncomfortable with an event where people die who participate voluntarily.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Did he say he bet on it? As far as I can see he only asked if people did bet on it, and that he ate horse.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514

How are you with dog?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135

How are you with dog?
    Now we're getting into Pulp Fiction territory properly, went too early with my quote.
  • rick_chasey

How are you with dog?
    Not had it but not averse to trying.

We’re at the top of the food chain.
  • rick_chasey
    pinno said:

That's bollox.
    You are compelling X number of horses to their deaths all because some people want to bet on a national 'tradition'.
    (In other national hunt races, the incidence of death is far lower statistically. Like the TT is to Moto GP).

And I do like horse racing. I'm not anti-horse racing but the GN is brutal. It's not worth betting on because it is a lottery. So people like betting on a race where animals could die with little regard for the horses welfare.
    You bet on a race where animals die frequently but you are uncomfortable with an event where people die who participate voluntarily.
    Vegetarian?
  • pinno

The French, the Dutch, the Germans and the Belgians like their horse meat.
    I don't because often the horses who's welfare has not been good and/or the owners can't afford vetinary care/treatment, send their horses to the knackers yard. So the animal may not have had a good life. So I wouldn't mind if there was some form of discrimination but I don't know how that would work.
    Ironically, horses who have been treated with anti-biotics or steroids (therapeutic) cannot be sold for meat.
    Horses are not bred for consumption.

• pinno

We've learnt that you make up quotes in order to make a juvenile gag worthy of a 10 year old. Unless you are actually 10....
    We've also learnt that you are soooo condescending and lack a sense of humour.
    I guess stalking Milemuncher for 10 years takes it out of you.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,514

How are you with dog?
    Not had it but not averse to trying.

We’re at the top of the food chain.
    People mostly don't eat carnivores presumably because it is inefficient. Dogs and horses fall in to the same category for Brits though for some reason.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited June 2022
    2 pages and 88 new posts during the time it took to put away the shopping, go for a bike ride, sit in the garden with a glass of wine and then cook and eat tea.
    Anybody would think some of you had something missing in your lives. ;)
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

I don't because often the horses who's welfare has not been good and/or the owners can't afford vetinary care/treatment, send their horses to the knackers yard. So the animal may not have had a good life. So I wouldn't mind if there was some form of discrimination but I don't know how that would work.
    Ironically, horses who have been treated with anti-biotics or steroids (therapeutic) cannot be sold for meat.

Contrary to popular belief this applies to all meat and poultry in this country.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    pinno said:

We've also learnt that you are soooo condescending and lack a sense of humour.
    I guess stalking Milemuncher for 10 years takes it out of you.
    Lol - still wringing out the milemuncher thing I see. Do yo have anything else in your repertoire, or is that it..?

• pinno

pinno said:

That's bollox.

Vegetarian?
    Nope.

Oh... and we are at the top of the food chain that we are actively wrecking and just because we are, does not mean that we have precedence given that our 'precedence' is wrecking the food chain. You see where I am going?

That top of the food chain stuff stinks of religious creation bollox
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

Contrary to popular belief this applies to all meat and poultry in this country.
    Pedantry ^. I was making the point that the horses who have had treatment don't end up in the food chain. Just a bit of irony, not a lot else.

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    pinno said:

pinno said:

That's bollox.

Vegetarian?
    Nope.

Oh... and we are at the top of the food chain that we are actively wrecking and just because we are, does not mean that we have precedence given that our 'precedence' is wrecking the food chain. You see where I am going?

That top of the food chain stuff stinks of religious creation bollox
    Opposite. It's more like natural selection.