Tourist Trophy

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    pinno said:

...and now a curve ball:

Who bets on the Grand National ay Aintree?

This will sound either terrible or terribly virtuous but I actually stopped taking any interest in it due to the deaths of the competitors ... and I really hate gambling due to the harm it does to people who get addicted.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Just as an aside: why do the Brits (generally) have issues with eating rabbit but chicken is fine?

Gen up eyebrows Robocop question.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509
    MattFalle said:

Just as an aside: why do the Brits (generally) have issues with eating rabbit but chicken is fine?

Do they? How weird. Used to like the odd rabbit when I was in the farming community.

Squirrel is tasty too, but they don't let go of their pelt at all easily (unlike rabbit), even when they'm dead.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,084

pinno said:

...and now a curve ball:

This will sound either terrible or terribly virtuous but I actually stopped taking any interest in it due to the deaths of the competitors ... and I really hate gambling due to the harm it does to people who get addicted.

pinno said:

pinno said:

Depends if you value the life of horse as much as people, surely?

That's bollox.
    Horses do not have a choice.
    You are compelling X number of horses to their deaths all because some people want to bet on a national 'tradition'.
    (In other national hunt races, the incidence of death is far lower statistically. Like the TT is to Moto GP).

And I do like horse racing. I'm not anti-horse racing but the GN is brutal. It's not worth betting on because it is a lottery. So people like betting on a race where animals could die with little regard for the horses welfare.
    You bet on a race where animals die frequently but you are uncomfortable with an event where people die who participate voluntarily.
    Vegetarian?
    Nope.

Oh... and we are at the top of the food chain that we are actively wrecking and just because we are, does not mean that we have precedence given that our 'precedence' is wrecking the food chain. You see where I am going?

That top of the food chain stuff stinks of religious creation bollox
    Opposite. It's more like natural selection.
    Intelligent parasites don't kill their host.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

pinno said:

...and now a curve ball:

pinno said:

pinno said:

That's bollox.
    You are compelling X number of horses to their deaths all because some people want to bet on a national 'tradition'.
    (In other national hunt races, the incidence of death is far lower statistically. Like the TT is to Moto GP).

And I do like horse racing. I'm not anti-horse racing but the GN is brutal. It's not worth betting on because it is a lottery. So people like betting on a race where animals could die with little regard for the horses welfare.
    You bet on a race where animals die frequently but you are uncomfortable with an event where people die who participate voluntarily.
    Vegetarian?
    Nope.

Oh... and we are at the top of the food chain that we are actively wrecking and just because we are, does not mean that we have precedence given that our 'precedence' is wrecking the food chain. You see where I am going?

The tory party summedup in one sentence.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Do they? How weird. Used to like the odd rabbit when I was in the farming community.

Squirrel is tasty too, but they don't let go of their pelt at all easily (unlike rabbit), even when they'm dead.
    Its just stashed away under the counter in Britain and you either have to special order it or (hush hush) ask for it subtlely. Europe - blimmin' everywhere.

Squirrel - I presume home hunted?

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,073
    MattFalle said:

Dunno. It certainly used to be fairly common judging by old photos of butcher's shops. I guess it's a bit like herring being replaced by fish fingers - mostly convenience and marketing.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    MattFalle said:

Squirrel - I presume home hunted?

Once upon a time I had four dogs who were quite handy as a team, and would let me take things from them. If I didn't, it was impressive how quickly a rabbit would be despatched and consumed.

Though, the squirrel might have been roadkill, still warm.
  • briantrumpet
    Serves the squirrel right for being rubbish at cornering at high speed, and not seeing the lamppost.
  • MattFalle

Serves the squirrel right for being rubbish at cornering at high speed, and not seeing the lamppost.

#apex
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    Only problem I have with rabbit is that there's not much on them and it is a bit streaky. Hare is delicious.

When I was a kid we had shops with rabbit, pheasant etc. hanging up outside but I guess the EU food safety Gestapo put an end to that. Had a proper fishmonger too, now only see them in a few markets or supermarkets.
  • Pross
    MattFalle said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

...and now a curve ball:

pinno said:

pinno said:

That's bollox.

Vegetarian?
    Nope.

He said intelligent!
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

pinno said:

pinno said:

...and now a curve ball:

pinno said:

pinno said:

That's bollox.

Vegetarian?
    Nope.

He said intelligent!
    🤣🤣🤣😀😀😀😀😀

• briantrumpet
    Pross said:

Only problem I have with rabbit is that there's not much on them and it is a bit streaky. Hare is delicious.

When I was a kid we had shops with rabbit, pheasant etc. hanging up outside but I guess the EU food safety Gestapo put an end to that. Had a proper fishmonger too, now only see them in a few markets or supermarkets.

Taken a few months ago...

• MattFalle
    Pheasants no problem, its rabbit (or now, hare) the MF's desire.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    How many is a few - season isn't quite right - looks like a shoot has just dumped their bag at the local butcher!

Re: rabbits - agree with all of the above. Quite streaky, not that easy to prepare and cook. Hare is absolutely sensational.
  • Pross
    You can buy frozen diced rabbit in supermarkets. Not sure who buys it though.
  • briantrumpet

How many is a few - season isn't quite right - looks like a shoot has just dumped their bag at the local butcher!

Re: rabbits - agree with all of the above. Quite streaky, not that easy to prepare and cook. Hare is absolutely sensational.

My dogs did catch me a hare once, but very sadly I obviously got something wrong with its preparation/cooking, as it didn't float my boat. It died in vain ⚰️😭
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

You can buy frozen diced rabbit in supermarkets. Not sure who buys it though.

Why theactualfuck would you buy that?
  • pinno

Pross said:

That saddle is all wrong.
  • pinno

Re: rabbits - agree with all of the above. Quite streaky, not that easy to prepare and cook.

Pressure cook them for 6 days.

• briantrumpet
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Does me for 100 miles.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

Pross said:

Never mind the saddle - look at the stem and the mudguards

#fuckingabomination
  • briantrumpet
    MattFalle said:

pinno said:

Pross said:

Never mind the saddle - look at the stem and the mudguards

#fuckingabomination
    When did you last ride along 'muddy' Devon lanes?
  • briantrumpet
  • pinno
    edited June 2022

I prefer squirrels to people. You've upset me. That poor rodent was forced into racing and you, the spectator watched this poor animal die. It's time they put padding on lamp posts before another racing squirrel fatality happens. They should ban this practice really. I mean, in this modern world, if someone had said 'let's race squirrels' - there's no way they would let this happen.
    Why don't they put weights on them to slow them down? That will reduce the power to weight ratio and no more Chilli nuts. There needs to be mandatory helmets, knee and elbow pads, tucked tails - the sort of modern safety equipment needed to ensure that NO F*CKING SUIRRELS DIE UN-NECESSARILY.
    It just shows you the mind set of the posters on this thread: 12 pages, 2.9K views 362 posts and this is the first time anyone has mentioned the welfare of racing squirrels.
  • pinno
    It all boils down to money. If there wasn't so much money in it - the tourists, the sponsors, the TV coverage etc etc etc etc then there would be no racing squirrels and then there would be no racing squirrel fatalities. It's just nuts.
    There's no run offs on Devon roads, or kitty litter, there's lamp posts, there's street furniture and drunken overweight Jethro lookalikes drunk on Scrumpy taking vicarious pleasure on seeing a squirrel mangle itself on a lamp post at silly speeds.
    It's not like the Northwest 20 or the National Rodent Championships on proper squirrel race courses with proper marshalling...
  • pinno
    I was just taking a pi$$ and I had this brilliant idea: rubber lamp posts.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,664
    pinno said:

I was just taking a pi$$ and I had this brilliant idea: rubber lamp posts.

Trebor- Mr Soft?

https://youtu.be/WaTRCHbG_IA

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,073
    Pross said:

Nothing to do with the EU. I think you were closer with the bit in bold. Plus you get a lot more meat per carcass with chicken.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition