Giro 2022 - Stage 16: Salò – Aprica 202 km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865

What would you do as ineos ?

worry
  • kingstongraham

Is MvdP goimg for a combativity award as he seems to instigate or be part of every break?!

His work is done for the day.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,892
    edited May 2022
    This giro is going to be easy to remember . It's the one where they would start each day ...then MvdP would attack
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    A lot of riders have already used up a lot of energy and are beginning to run dry.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424
    What's the state of play please?
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2022

15km to go of the first climb, 22 riders up the road with quality in there. Yates, Valverde, Kelderman, Carthy, Martin, Arensman, Bouwman, Ciccone, Formolo among them. 40 second gap.

Ineos have 7 at the front of what's left of the peloton. Single line currently.
  • mididoctors

Valverde Martin welco Yates carthy trying to drag a big group away ...ineos grovelling behind containing the gap... Peloton and multiple busses forming
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2022

A lot of riders have already used up a lot of energy and are beginning to run dry.

Ineos are going deep ..but they are there . Formolo looks like he needs a holiday
  • blazing_saddles

A group of 22 riders have just a 50 second lead over the peloton being led by Ineos, who still have almost a full team.

Big names are Yates, Kelderman, Martin, Carthy, Fortunato, Hirt, Valverde, Arensman, Ciccone and Formolo.
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2022
    The chaff is being dropped from the front group.
  • mididoctors
    155 k ..54 secs gap
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,308
    edited May 2022
    best placed is Martin at 8.00 back in the breakaway. Formolo will be on max gurn face
  • mididoctors
    Yates look so unstressed compared to many ...take away that GC pressure
  • amrushton
    18 minutes back - didnt realise it was such a big gap. Could try a Froome 2018 over the next couple of days but top 10 might be feasible
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2022
    Nan peters has been holding that 50 m off the back of the front group for an age
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    pblakeney said:

Yup. That's the one. I think there will be quite a few spells out of the saddle even on a compact 34 with a specially bought 32 cassette.

By the way you can normally swap out the 34 for a 33 inner ring, which gives you a little bit more...

33:32 @ 70 rpm is around 9 km/h... Which might be more manageable... Works out to around 240 watts for a 70kg rider on 11%, 255 ish on 12%... so depends a lot how fit you are (obviously......) but you might be able to get up, after all you can do 50 rpm if you really need to.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    These helicopter shots are fantastic. What a beautiful climb.
  • amrushton
    Always look good from the air trouble is we are busy looking at the road/stem combo
  • blazing_saddles
    Kelderman gone from the break with a puncture.
    Martin going from the break with crap descending.
  • mididoctors
    Kelderman should fall back
  • Is Contador morphing into Gary Imlach?
  • kingstongraham

Kelderman should fall back

He's done well - made it back to the front group. If anyone ever had an excuse for sitting on for a while...
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2022
    Kelderman makes it back surprisingly easily as the break isn’t pushing hard in the valley
  • kingstongraham

Kelderman makes it back surprisingly easily as the break isn’t pushing hard in the valley

And then the front group splits in two and Kelderman is in the second one.

Decent gap between the two suddenly. Second group not working at all.
  • blazing_saddles
    Half the break dropped by the stealth attack of the other half
  • mididoctors
    Bit mysterious
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,247

Bit mysterious

What is? I'm watching surreptitiously on my phone with the volume switched off.
  • kingstongraham
    DeadCalm said:

Bit mysterious

Nobody saw how the split happened, and the second group just can't make any inroads into it, even with Yates, Carthy, Martin.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,247

DeadCalm said:

Bit mysterious

Nobody saw how the split happened, and the second group just can't make any inroads into it, even with Yates, Carthy, Martin.
    Ah. Okay thanks. I popped to the bathroom and when I got back saw a front group missing Valverde Poels and DSM. It took a while to figure out that what the TV was showing was a chasing group.
  • kingstongraham
    Now Cataldo is dropping back to the second group to presumably help them close it up.