Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,846
    phreak said:

pblakeney said:

phreak said:

pblakeney said:

jimmyjams said:

Although I wonder why you (or your trip organisers have made it so) are riding up the Falzarego 3 times (days 01, 1, and 3, the last on the way to Valparola) ...

Days 01 & 02 are because I arrive 2 days early as there is no direct flights on the day.
    Option 1 - Early start, transfer, late arrival. Done before, not preferred.
    Option 2 - Fly day before with hotel stay at transfer. More practical but meh.
    Option 3 - Fly direct 2 days before and have the hotel stay at location. 😃😎🚴

The hotel is at Pocol so my plan is breakfast, drop down to Cortina for coffee and do the climbs proper in both directions but slowly from there with a lunch stop 1/2 way and stopping for photos.

Marmot have you do the Falzarego from Cortina then drop back to the hotel on day1.
    Then it is done from the other side to Valparola on day 3 as part of the Maratona route.

That's the challenge route, there are easier options if the legs dictate.
    Your other comments are much appreciated.

Been a good rest day this... 😉
    If you're in Pocol rather than do the Falzarego a few times, why not pop down to Cortina and ride over the Tre Croci and on up to Tre Cime? The Croci is a nice warm up climb and you go past Misurina, which is lovely, before the tough climb up to Cime and the incredible views at the top.
    Mostly as I was trying to keep the miles down and stay local. Plus doing them in different directions. Also the Tre's are included in the official Day 1. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Ah, cool. ...If you popped over the Valporola...
    Thanks. Valporola is Day 3. Think I'll stick to short cafe run loops from Cortina just to acclimatise, keep the legs moving, and keep myself away from the bar. 😉 May even just be Cortina and back. Anyway, back to the racing today.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,298
    Anyone who can go over all three mountains in the lead today takes the kom jersey. Think Yates fancies going for it?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,126
    No. He's after stage wins, not a novelty jersey.
  • kingstongraham
    I hate to state the obvious but if the breakaway makes it over all three climbs in front, it's got a pretty good chance of winning the stage if that's what he's decided he wants his consolation prize to be.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,829

Anyone who can go over all three mountains in the lead today takes the kom jersey. Think Yates fancies going for it?

His best bet is to sit on with the GC boys and try and bag one of the next two stages.
    It's going to be full on GC battle in both and he could be the guy they let go up the road, late in the day.
    Another minor plus would be that given the severity of these stages, he can probably climb back into the top 10 on GC.

Leave the Dutch fight over the maglia azzurra.

Fastest schedule over today's 202km and 4 big cols is given as 36kph. Can they exceed this, I wonder?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp

I hate to state the obvious but if the breakaway makes it over all three climbs in front, it's got a pretty good chance of winning the stage if that's what he's decided he wants his consolation prize to be.

If he gets it, it'll be a by-product of going for the stage win rather than something he's specifically targeting. He came to the race to win the maglia rosa, so the mountains jersey would be a very poor substitute.
  • kingstongraham
    What would the time limit cutoff be at 36kmh?
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2022

If anyone else is interested, it's 1:00:36 - calculated as 18% if they go over 34kmh.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681

If anyone else is interested, it's 1:00:36 - calculated as 18% if they go over 34kmh.

The formula is very different from the tour.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,903

I didn't know that . But the tour cut offs always seemed tighter .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Problem on the road?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,949
    edited May 2022
    No clue what the delay was but they're off at last
  • JimD666
    Cav's in the break, Demare trying to catch up.
  • kingstongraham

True - would be 14% at the tour if it was exactly 36kmh. Much stricter - but they don't have stages this hard.
  • mididoctors
    I feel for the non climbers ..this really is a test
  • andyp
    JimD666 said:

In all my years of watching him race, I've never seen Cavendish trying to get in a break in a high mountain stage before.
  • JimD666
    andyp said:

JimD666 said:

In all my years of watching him race, I've never seen Cavendish trying to get in a break in a high mountain stage before.
    Funniest thing I've seen this Giro :smile:
  • mididoctors
    That's quite a smart tactic ..try and create a early break even if your not in it
  • mididoctors
    Settle down the race . Last thing the sprinters want is a uncontrolled race on the first climb
  • mididoctors
    It's not working
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,829
    Nice to see Sonny Colbrelli chatting with riders at km0.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    Full break: Nans Peters, MVDP, Pascal Eenkhoorn, Tom De Gendt, Cav, Juul-Jensen

only 50secs though
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2022
    andyp said:

JimD666 said:

Not sure he'll do it again either after this.
  • mididoctors
    "yes this is mad stuff "
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,947
    Is MvdP goimg for a combativity award as he seems to instigate or be part of every break?!
  • mididoctors
    They could some real damage here
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,850
    Is Cav in the polka dot jersey yet? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2022
    What would you do as ineos ?
  • mididoctors
    They could some real damage here

Is MvdP goimg for a combativity award as he seems to instigate or be part of every break?!

That guy has single handedly caused more damage by proxy than anyone else in this race
  • mididoctors
    Bora is not holding back