Planet X Spitfire Ti

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    for the cost with delivery to France:

435.98 UKP (10.99 delivery with DHL), Delivery expected on the 10th for an order placed on the 6th

There is then
    17.50 Euros admin from DHL
    4.7% Customs duty for a Frame not made in the UK (24 euros)
    VAT at 20% is then added to the total (so you pay tax on tax, doh! - how tax is "adding value" to something I don't know).

This brings the additional costs to 150 euros, about 125 quid giving a grand total of 560 UKP to France for frame and forks (without headset).

I hope to source an FSA Orbit headset locally for about 35 euros.

I tried my friend's wife's spitfire for size - she's like a lanky blonde supermodel and my height with slightly longer legs and it fitted well so I got the same size frame.

My plan was to get rid of my two road bikes and have a single road bike but it is going to be hard to go N-1 !
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    That's a top deal all round - nice work that man

Yup - deffo N+1: you don't wanna be doing any of that selling schizzle.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • davidof
    MattFalle said:

That's a top deal all round - nice work that man

Yup - deffo N+1: you don't wanna be doing any of that selling schizzle.

Seriously I'll have to cut down on bikes, I can't move for the things in the garage ! Do I cull the Carbon or the Steel? Or both maybe? The Carbon bike frame is only 800 grams so I'm seriously gaining weight with Titanium.

At the same time I can't ride two bikes at the same time ! (or 3 or 4)

Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    Seriously, no, don't do it.

All your bikes are different, so its not like you've got 6 plastic bikes in your life.

You'll only get pennies (or cents, in your case) for them and regret selling them.

Just have a tidy up, rearrange wherever you keep them, sorted.

Worst comes to the worst, anything belonging to the other half/children you can get rid of to make space and raise Obermayer funding?
  • davidof
    MattFalle said:

Worst comes to the worst, anything belonging to the other half/children you can get rid of to make space and raise Obermayer funding?

You mean the missus 100 pairs of shoes and handbags ? Talk about N+1, handbags are sheer madness.

Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    davidof said:

MattFalle said:

You mean the missus 100 pairs of shoes and handbags ? Talk about N+1, handbags are sheer madness.

That exactly. Shiteall over the place.

Get rid of half of them and she won't even notice and you'll have a) more space around the house and b)new wheels.

Its a win/win situation tbh.

Ebay them and she won't even know you're selling them, get the wheels sent to a friends house so she won't see them arriving.

Psy mate back in cash so dhe eon't see money leaving the account snd you'll feel like a drug dealer doing a massive deal.
  • davidof
    MattFalle said:

Ebay them and she won't even know you're selling them, get the wheels sent to a friends house so she won't see them arriving.

No, she's like gollum with her fsking handbags, always taking them out of the plastic bags they live in to admire them

"my preciousssses"

she'd know if I'd even touched the cupboards they are hidden in

Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    Hmmmm.... this is tricky.

Best just sell all the kids stuff then. Or her car.

Any jewellry that isn't permanently attached to her?
  • davidof
    keeping the jewellery, it is made of gold, could be useful in times of hyper inflation.

This seems to be headset: https://www.wiggle.fr/brand-x-semi-integrated-44iets-sealed-headset

and a bit nicer than PlanetX prices
    Instagramme
  • feelgoodlost
    feelgoodlost Posts: 330
    I managed to bag an FSA one from Tredz for about £50 incl. postage. A bit of a saving on the Selcof one.
  • MattFalle

Pour €12 c`est parfait, oui?
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The Selcof one has an external cup for the lower bearing, not zero-stack - ZS44/28.6 EC44/40

I don't think the Brand-X lower cup will fit the frame since it's ZS44/28.6 ZS56/40 (requires lower bore of head tube to be 56mm when it's 44mm)

Understanding S.H.I.S.
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2022
    bobones said:

The Selcof one has an external cup for the lower bearing, not zero-stack - ZS44/28.6 EC44/40

I don't think the Brand-X lower cup will fit the frame since it's ZS44/28.6 ZS56/40 (requires lower bore of head tube to be 56mm when it's 44mm)

Understanding S.H.I.S.

Zut alors. Quel domage.

#m4rde,c`estnepasbon
  • davidof
    edited June 2022
    MattFalle said:

bobones said:

Understanding S.H.I.S.

Zut alors. Quel domage.

#m4rde,c`estnepasbon
    No the Wiggle one is ZS44/28.6 EC44/40 - as you can see from the image you posted.
    Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    Not me saying its wrong! Its that BoBons garcon.

I'm just expressing sadness

But if its the right one I'll express happiness!

Allez-oop! Johnny Halliday! Etc etc

#notme,guv
    #iblameDePfeffel'coshe'sadick
  • bobones
    Silly me. I was looking at a different Brand-X headset on the UK site. The one you linked to will be fine other than the star nut isn’t suitable for the carbon steerer.
  • davidof
    bobones said:

. The one you linked to will be fine other than the star nut isn’t suitable for the carbon steerer.

I'm planning on using an existing bung. Obviously these kind of headsets are aimed at the MTB community.

Have received frame, a day early and nicely boxed up by PlanetX. Will start the build towards the end of the month as I need some bits like erm... the headset !

Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    davidof said:

bobones said:

. The one you linked to will be fine other than the star nut isn’t suitable for the carbon steerer.

I'm planning on using an existing bung. Obviously these kind of headsets are aimed at the MTB community.

Have received frame, a day early and nicely boxed up by PlanetX. Will start the build towards the end of the month as I need some bits like erm... the headset !

Piccies please!
  • feelgoodlost
    feelgoodlost Posts: 330
    Sadly mine came with part of the S in the Spitfire logo missing. Must have been a defect when applying it. Not so much of an issue that I could be bothered to send it back but I did get some store credit for raising it with them.

Need to start gathering all the components for it over the next few months. Feels like it's too nice of a bike to put some crappy winter bomber wheels on it...
  • MattFalle
    Ah hell yes, fsr too nice to put junk on it likecheap wheels snd fall apart Ultegra

As BoBones above - high end groupset - Red or Record preferably, Chorus and Force also allowed - and some sweeeeet wheels and finishing kit.

Do it do it do it now.
  • davidof
    MattFalle said:

As BoBones above - high end groupset - Red or Record preferably, Chorus and Force also allowed - and some sweeeeet wheels and finishing kit.

Mine is not going to be anything like that, I'm salvaging the gruppo from my summer bike. I'm hoping after selling my old frame it will be nearly cost neutral.

Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    davidof said:

MattFalle said:

Mine is not going to be anything like that, I'm salvaging the gruppo from my summer bike. I'm hoping after selling my old frame it will be nearly cost neutral.

Please don't say it begins with a "U"......
  • Rich_T_
    Rich_T_ Posts: 24
    Hello...

About two weeks ago I found this thread whilst holidaying in France. I asked to become a member of the forum. Here I am...

I bought one of these frames with the jubilee discount and I'm going to do first build (groan... newbie).

I'm 6.3 so went for extra large frame on their advice I thought large might be ok as I usually fit shorter stems on my bikes, usually 59 or 60 frames, this was extra large 54 ?. I'm overweight and not very flexible.

And I've bought the same headset mentioned in this thread from wiggle. I'm assuming it needs a press for one of the cups so will ask a shop to do that. The rest of the bike I can do myself.

I need to get a cable routing thingy, planet x sell them without a bolt ?

Thanks
  • bobones
    edited June 2022
    This is what you need from PX and it seems to have the bolt.

(If you look at the build list for a complete Spitfire on PX you'll see everything they've used including this in the Other Components section).

However, if you're taking to your LBS to get the headset cups pressed in, they'll probably have under BB cable guides lying around that they'll give you.

Another option is to buy a threaded rod, a couple of bolts and some big washers from B+Q for a couple of quid and do it yourself. Can be tricky to keep the cups straight though.

Extra large sounds right for you, and you can always vary the stem length to suit if you're not 100% happy. I've got the large and I'm just about 5'11 so I think it would be too wee for someone of your stature.

Still loving mine BTW!
  • Rich_T_
    Thanks Very much for your reply. That page is right useful

I've always wanted a titanium bike but couldn't afford. I'm giving up on carbon for now. Well actually, one Alu, one titanium, one carbon. Will be stripping the groupset from the carbon bike.
  • bobones
    Good stuff. It's a top frame and I'm sure you'll love it. Mind and post some piccies when you're done!
  • Rich_T_
    Do you know please about the crown race, I am assuming it comes with the headset and I'll send that to the LBS also.

Cheers
    Richard
  • davidof
    MattFalle said:

<

Euclid?
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    bobones said:
    Thanks for the link, very useful
    Instagramme
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    MattFalle said:

davidof said:

MattFalle said:

Unt? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo