Planet X Spitfire Ti

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    MattFalle said:

Have you cut the cr4p off the steerer yet?

Not yet because I'm supposed to be working!
    paulbnix said:

I was seriously looking at one of these but wanted to use 28mm tyres on it.
    Both the website and the online chat I had indicated 25mm max but babones has fitted 30mm types - is that correct and is there any clearance with those tyres?

My 30s fit fine. They're closest under the brake calipers and back of seat tube but I've been riding them the last few days in wet and gritty conditions with no rubbing or noise. I was pleasantly surprised that 30s fitted, so 28s will definitely have plenty of room.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    Thanks bobones though I do now see that the small is on preorder. B**ger.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I was looking at this to replace my CR1, but the headtube is on the short side for me and would need a full spacer stack. Pre-Covid you could have built this with Force on the build-it-yourself deal for something like 1300/1350 quid. Good to hear you can get more than 25s in there.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    bobones said:

MattFalle said:

Have you cut the cr4p off the steerer yet?

Not yet because I'm supposed to be working!
    paulbnix said:

I was seriously looking at one of these but wanted to use 28mm tyres on it.
    Both the website and the online chat I had indicated 25mm max but babones has fitted 30mm types - is that correct and is there any clearance with those tyres?

My 30s fit fine. They're closest under the brake calipers and back of seat tube but I've been riding them the last few days in wet and gritty conditions with no rubbing or noise. I was pleasantly surprised that 30s fitted, so 28s will definitely have plenty of room.
    Disgraceful

#priorities
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    paulbnix said:

Best get it pre-ordered then - gives you time to order the Force, finishing kit, etc.
  • paulbnix
    I have an aging Red Etap that I would use.
  • bobones
    edited May 2022
    Munsford0 said:

Will you all please stop posting to this bloody thread. Every time I've calmed down again and convinced myself I cannot possibly justify buying one, this thread pops to the top of the list and I'm off researching components to build one. Just stop it!

Get one while they're so cheap! They are great frames and the welds are super neat - Walty know what they're doing with Ti.

I'm loving mine I was out this morning doing a few intervals and it was just as fast as my fancy deep section clad carbon bikes and got a few PRs on some segments.

I would brass neck it and get on the PX chat and see if they'll give you one at the £549.99 it was last week. Tell them Stephen sent you as I was chatting with Richard about my lost order for the L so he might remember me! Add your FIRSTSIGNUP22 code for another 10% off.
    MattFalle said:

paulbnix said:

Best get it pre-ordered then - gives you time to order the Force, finishing kit, etc.
    Agree. Do it! They'll probably put the price up at the end of May too. It's also worth double checking the geometry chart and go with PX's recommendation on height. I am usually an M, but that turned out too small, and the L works great, which is what PX recommended.
  • bobones
    paulbnix said:

Exactly what I used and is perfect for the job. Only tricky bit of the build is pressing in the headset cups.
  • MattFalle
    paulbnix said:

Best do it then.

#doitdoitdoitdoit
  • MattFalle
    bobones said:

Munsford0 said:

Will you all please stop posting to this bloody thread. Every time I've calmed down again and convinced myself I cannot possibly justify buying one, this thread pops to the top of the list and I'm off researching components to build one. Just stop it!

Get one while they're so cheap! They are great frames and the welds are super neat - Walty know what they're doing with Ti.

I'm loving mine I was out this morning doing a few intervals and it was just as fast as my fancy deep section clad carbon bikes and got a few PRs on some segments.

I would brass neck it and get on the PX chat and see if they'll give you one at the £549.99 it was last week. Tell them Stephen sent you as I was chatting with Richard about my lost order for the L so he might remember me! Add your FIRSTSIGNUP22 code for another 10% off.
    MattFalle said:

paulbnix said:

Agree. Do it! They'll probably put the price up at the end of May too. It's also worth double checking the geometry chart and go with PX's recommendation on height. I am usually an M, but that turned out too small, and the L works great, which is what PX recommended.
    Enough of all that, have you slammed it yet?
  • MattFalle
    Hoe phat are the tubes dude? Pleeease say old CAAD phat, not skinny rubbish.
  • bobones
    me-109 said:

I was looking at this to replace my CR1, but the headtube is on the short side for me and would need a full spacer stack. Pre-Covid you could have built this with Force on the build-it-yourself deal for something like 1300/1350 quid. Good to hear you can get more than 25s in there.

That is the main drawback with the CR1 and only true to size 25s would fit without rubbing the chain stays. The Spitfire has acres more room, and yes, the headtube is shorter, but by going up to the L from the M I didn't really lose anything on stack height and am probably going to get rid of the 20 mm spacer altogether, just to keep Matt happy. You could always flip your stem to get a bit more height although the style police will be onto you for that!

• MattFalle
    bobones said:

me-109 said:

That is the main drawback with the CR1 and only true to size 25s would fit without rubbing the chain stays. The Spitfire has acres more room, and yes, the headtube is shorter, but by going up to the L from the M I didn't really lose anything on stack height and am probably going to get rid of the 20 mm spacer altogether, just to keep Matt happy. You could always flip your stem to get a bit more height although the style police will be onto you for that!

No

You are not "probably" going to do it it, you will do.

And if anyone gets one on these and flips the stem I'll send an MF round to bop you on the nose.

Flipped stem. Ffs.
  • bobones
    MattFalle said:

They have a satisfyingly chunky girth. Head tube is tapered and seat tube takes a 31.8 post so not thin. The downtube is quite wide and subtly shaped. The top tube is a bit more slender, but not skinny unless you're comparing it to an old CAAD, which you are! My steel bike has skinny tubes, this doesn't.
  • MattFalle
    bobones said:

MattFalle said:

They have a satisfyingly chunky girth. Head tube is tapered and seat tube takes a 31.8 post so not thin. The downtube is quite wide and subtly shaped. The top tube is a bit more slender, but not skinny unless you're comparing it to an old CAAD, which you are! My steel bike has skinny tubes, this doesn't.
    Sweet - grazie!

Theres nothing like having a phat tube between your legs to make a ride satisfying.
  • MattFalle
    Have you slammed it yet by the way?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    edited May 2022
    MattFalle said:

Haven't ridden one but have built one up with SRAM Red and its a very, very nice frame to work on and is v nicely made.

A few people on here gave them and, tbh, haven't read a bad report.

paulbnix said:

How can any etap component be ageing?
  • bobones
    edited May 2022

Because 11-speed eTap was replaced by 12-speed AXS over 3 years ago. My Red eTap is 5 years old. It still works great, but you cannot buy a new replacement FD if it goes TU.

• paulbnix
    bobones said:

Because 11-speed eTap was replaced by 12-speed AXS over 3 years ago. My Red eTap is 5 years old. It still works great, but you cannot buy a new replacement FD if it goes TU.
    I'm the same - over 5 years and over 20000 miles on 11s Etap.
    My mate reckons 15k miles is a good innings for bike components and I have had failures at about that.
    So that's what I mean by ageing - still working but for how much longer.
  • MattFalle
    Good job my Red 10 and 11 is cable then I suppose.

And my two sets of Record

And the two sets of - ahem - Ultegra

Break it, lob any old schizer on it until you get sorted.
  • MattFalle
    Anyhow, back to the important bits.

Have you trimmed the schizer off the steerer yet?

And other dude - have you preordered the frame yet?
  • bobones
    MattFalle said:

The deed is done!

#we'reslammin'
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 266
    Oh dear , that’s so sad.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • MattFalle
    bobones said:

MattFalle said:

The deed is done!

#we'reslammin'
    GET THEFUCKIN!!!!!!

Coolest thing anyone on here apart from MF has done in years!

Looks soooo cool.

Big phat het!

#megagravygranules
    #proper,innit
  • MattFalle
    With those tan walls it looks so sweeet!

60s and tan walls.

#utterlylovely
  • bobones
    This could upset the style police :)

With Quickguard v2 mudguards and 30 mm P-Zeros.

I must admit these guards are great. Just a couple of minutes to take on and off and no contact with the frame at all so no chance of marring paint or rattling. They're a great option if you ride a lot in the wet, and don't have eyelets or clearance for standard guards, and prefer a dry bum and feet.
  • bobones
    paulbnix said:

Small is back in stock by the looks of it.
  • MattFalle
    bobones said:

This could upset the style police :)

With Quickguard v2 mudguards and 30 mm P-Zeros.

I must admit these guards are great. Just a couple of minutes to take on and off and no contact with the frame at all so no chance of marring paint or rattling. They're a great option if you ride a lot in the wet, and don't have eyelets or clearance for standard guards, and prefer a dry bum and feet.

Get thatshit off there now. Ffs. Fuckingmudguards.

#unimpressed
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    At least its not ultegra or Hunt wheels mf.
  • MattFalle

At least its not ultegra or Hunt wheels mf.

Those are very good points very well presented.

I think i'd cry if he put thatshit on there