2022 Transfers: Rumours & Facts

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited September 2021

daniel_b said:

MvdP extends with Alpecin-Fenix until 2025.

That's a lengthy extension - I thought he might consider some higher wage offers, but clearly he loves to race above all else, and wants to partake in MTB and CX as well, so I'm sure that is all written into his contract, as it was previously.
    It is a shame!
    Why do you think that? They seem to have really got their act together as a team and he has access to all the races he would want to do I think, and gets to determine his own programme.

Do you think he would perform better elsewhere? (genuine question). If so, where?
    I have no interest in non-road racing, and would like him to race more on the road (as that's what I watch).
    got you. I just thought you were concerned for his bank balance ;-)

Half agree - I think the CX is fine given when it takes place and it's part of who he is as a rider. If he dropped the MTB that would prob be better in my un-expert opinion.
    He already did that at the Olympics :o

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • 👆👆 such an odd crash given his skills and experience. Still wondering which explanation is correct, either the team did tell him the ramp had been removed, or as he maintained at the time that they hadn’t !
  • daniel_b

👆👆 such an odd crash given his skills and experience. Still wondering which explanation is correct, either the team did tell him the ramp had been removed, or as he maintained at the time that they hadn’t !

Indeed - my theory is that they told him, but he didn't take it in or remember it.

My daughter pretty much always does the same thing when I tell her something.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Odd Christian Eiking to EF
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    daniel_b said:

👆👆 such an odd crash given his skills and experience. Still wondering which explanation is correct, either the team did tell him the ramp had been removed, or as he maintained at the time that they hadn’t !

Indeed - my theory is that they told him, but he didn't take it in or remember it.

I agree. He probably just had a brain fart. Incredibly costly in those circumstances. He is an all time great talent, but will never have his very best road palmares due to dividing his attention. WVA has committed to the road and it's paying off for him.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • daniel_b
    m.r.m. said:

daniel_b said:

I agree. He probably just had a brain fart. Incredibly costly in those circumstances. He is an all time great talent, but will never have his very best road palmares due to dividing his attention. WVA has committed to the road and it's paying off for him.
    I'm suspect you are correct, but I do admire his determination and drive to do what he wants to do - I suspect if he signed for a bigger team, they would potentially try and dissuade him from some of his non road activities.
    I think it is evident that he gets just as much, if not more enjoyment from those than he does the road. In the current age of heightened mental health awareness, I'd say chapeau for sticking to his guns, and ensuring he can hopefully keep himself happy, and engaged, and not under too much pressure, other than that which he puts himself under.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • m.r.m.
    Absolutely. Very well said. But he is my favourite rider and I want to see him win everything on the road! What about my needs? 😜😉👻
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    m.r.m. said:

daniel_b said:

Well that's because he's not a pure road rider; he may ride on the road, but he's a multi discipline rider. That's what makes him motivated; winning his first XCO World Cup race was his biggest challenge...
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Given that the cycling press is in danger of ripping off their cocks off when they write about MvdP, it seems to be paying off for him too...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I can't remember who it was said about, but I remember the phrase "Strong as an Ox and as smart as an Ox". I think that might apply to MVDP.

He seems to me someone who thinks he can just turn up with no prep and no tactics and just ride away from everyone. And to be fair sometimes he can, especially in cross races.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161
    RichN95. said:

I can't remember who it was said about, but I remember the phrase "Strong as an Ox and as smart as an Ox". I think that might apply to MVDP.

He seems to me someone who thinks he can just turn up with no prep and no tactics and just ride away from everyone. And to be fair sometimes he can, especially in cross races.

He doesn't need tactics, he just has to follow WVA and then outsprint him.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    RichN95. said:

He does as frequently in road races too, see Strade Bianche, the Tour de Suisse and stage 2 of the Tour this year as examples.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited September 2021
    They used to say that about Merckx didn't they?

• daniel_b
    andyp said:

RichN95. said:

He does as frequently in road races too, see Strade Bianche, the Tour de Suisse and stage 2 of the Tour this year as examples.
    His power can be immense - Strade Bianche is probably my favourite race of 2021.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2021

Merckx had a famously fanatical eye for detail though. MVDP has the air of someone who gets on the radio after 100km to ask what race he's in.
  • andyp
    edited September 2021
    Merckx had one tactic, really. Get on the front and ride everyone off his wheel. Which is not dissimilar to MVDP's tactics.

If you are the strongest then, tactically, you don't need too much else. Contrast that with someone like Simon Gerrans, who was rarely the strongest, and developed an excellent tactical sense to compensate.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393
    RichN95. said:

Merckx had a famously fanatical eye for detail though. MVDP has the air of someone who gets on the radio after 100km to ask what race he's in.
    Eye for detail or someone who constantly fiddled with their set up for no reason?

• m.r.m.
    I actually don't think his tactics are as bad as Rich feels. He tends to attack too much, but I think that is also borne out of a specific physiological advantage he has. How much of an advantage it is compared to his peers is unknown, but he is very good at getting rid of lactate. Better than most (according to a German bike training/analysis channel run by dudes who studied sports physiology).
    So attacking to put others in the red zone, to then clear lactate faster than they can to be able to go again is an excellent use of your abilities.

His positioning though is sometimes horrendous (see MSR this year for example).
  • Well it's fair to say MvdP doesn't really do detail, missing the very tiny and hard to spot fact that a ramp was removed for the Olympic mtb, despite it being mentioned several times...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I'm going to day it again, it's very hard to use "tactics" when no one else will work with you.

Even harder when they were even scared of working with you on your debut!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2021
    Nowhere else to put this but Dumoulin's season is over after being hit by a car training. He's broken his wrist.
  • m.r.m.
    What a shame. He was coming back really strongly!
  • rick_chasey
    Some sympathy I had the same break and surgery 11 months ago.

I still feel it even though it all went successfully.
  • andyp
    De La Cruz to Astana.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Ineos stealing a youngster from Rally called Magnus Sheffield according to la flamme rouge on Twitter.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    gsk82 said:

Ineos stealing a youngster from Rally called Magnus Sheffield according to la flamme rouge on Twitter.

Remember him from the Vuelta a Murcia earlier this year.

Looks like he left Rally mid August.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyp
    Fuglsang rumoured to be joining BikeExchange, who, in turn, are the latest team to be linked with PremierTech joining as a sponsor.
  • andyp
    gsk82 said:

Stealing seems unnecessarily accusatory, no?

According to his own Twitter account, he left Rally of his own volition. How he terminated his contract isn't clear and Ineos may have been involved, but if there was anything untoward I'm sure Rally would have made representations to the UCI.

• RichN95.
    Sounds to me as though he signed for the Rally with the understanding that he was already signed up for 2022 elsewhere. A bit like a football team sending a young player out on loan.
  • andyp
    I'd have thought a team like Rally would've released him anyway if he had the chance to sign with a top team like Ineos.