2022 Transfers: Rumours & Facts

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Pross said:

andyp said:

Viviani is in demand - EOLO-Kometa, DQS and Astana are all rumoured to be signing him.

Why is he so popular? He hasn't been on great form, really can't understand DQS having an interest in him.
    Because he wins races. He's not the most prolific sprinter, but he'll get you at least five wins a season.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    andyp said:

Pross said:

andyp said:

Viviani is in demand - EOLO-Kometa, DQS and Astana are all rumoured to be signing him.

Why is he so popular? He hasn't been on great form, really can't understand DQS having an interest in him.
    Because he wins races. He's not the most prolific sprinter, but he'll get you at least five wins a season.
    He's got 5 plus a points jersey this season but they aren't exactly top level. Considering how much DQS win and the sprinters they have / will have I'm still surprised. With Astana it is possibly more of a sign of where the are in the pecking order these days
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Pross said:

andyp said:

Pross said:

andyp said:

He's got 5 plus a points jersey this season but they aren't exactly top level. Considering how much DQS win and the sprinters they have / will have I'm still surprised. With Astana it is possibly more of a sign of where the are in the pecking order these days
    Leferve wants Viviani as his third sprinter, with Jakobsen and Cavendish as his first and second ones, rather than as his main man. With Bennett and Hodeg leaving, he wants that third option. Given how in demand he is, I can see Viviani proving to be too expensive for Leferve's budget.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Does Cav have a contract?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Mad_Malx said:

Still negotiating last I saw. Leferve saying that Cav shouldn't expect too much, IIRC.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    JimD666 said:

Mad_Malx said:

Still negotiating last I saw. Leferve saying that Cav shouldn't expect too much, IIRC.
    It would be odd to say he should be expecting loads in the middle of negotiation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

JimD666 said:

Mad_Malx said:

It would be odd to say he should be expecting loads in the middle of negotiation.
    To be fair, it's odd to make the negotiation position public, but that's fair standard for Lefevre
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    JimD666 said:

Mad_Malx said:

If he isn't riding the tour he shouldn't expect much.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    Really don't get the Dennis move. He seemed really happy and settled at Ineos, which after his woes and troubles of the previous couple of seasons makes it feel like he is risking that all.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Agreed, I knew it was happening, but still a real shame.

Be interested to know if Ineos didn't want to renew, or if Dennis wanted to leave/was made a better offer.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400

Really don't get the Dennis move. He seemed really happy and settled at Ineos, which after his woes and troubles of the previous couple of seasons makes it feel like he is risking that all.

Won't he also be moving to a very similar role at JV?
  • rick_chasey

He's 31 and was on apparently an ineos friendly contract (ie. not lots). Doesn't have many more years earning a top cyclist salary so why not move for a pay rise?
  • Dorset_Boy

He's 31 and was on apparently an ineos friendly contract (ie. not lots). Doesn't have many more years earning a top cyclist salary so why not move for a pay rise?
    Given the way he walked out on Bahrain, issues with other teams, and the well documented mental issues that he was going through, surely being on a team where he is happy is far more sensible than risking a change, unless Ineos were only offering him peanuts, which given his performances is highly unlikely.
  • gsk82
    They may have wanted rid. He only seemed interested in riding for Australia this year
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021

That would seem to be the most likely reason, maximise his earnings for the last few years - he strikes me as someone who potentially won't want to ride until he is 40 - could be wrong though.

The blurb suggested he might be in the frame to target some week long races with JV, which I don't think is anything that reared it's head at Ineos - happy to be wrong.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    Look I have no idea, I am totally guessing.

It's just whenever people who *do* know about transfers they always say "it's almost always about the money". He was fairly damaged goods going into ineos and he did well, so presumably his rate is higher than it was going into ineos.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2021
    I don't know how comfortable he was being a teammate of Ganna, who is effectively his biggest rival.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dorset_Boy
    RichN95. said:

I don't know how comfortable he was being a teammate of Ganna, who is effectively his biggest rival.

So a move to a team with Van Aert, Dumpin Tom and Roglic makes sense?
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

If he's better than them, but not Ganna then yes. He may think that they have kit advantages that he can't get at Ineos
  • gsk82
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

If he's better than them, but not Ganna then yes. He may think that they have kit advantages that he can't get at Ineos
    Or supplementary ones.
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

“I’m looking forward to the new challenges and I’m excited to be joining arguably one of the leading teams with R&D in the pro peloton," Dennis said after the move was announced.

Riding alongside the likes of Primož Roglič, Wout van Aert and Tom Dumoulin - again - is something I couldn’t refuse.

Continuing to contribute to major Grand Tour wins with the team and taking some of my own chances at week-long tours is a major goal of mine. "
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    r0bh said:
    Yet another former winner of the Junior Tour of Wales.
  • gsk82 said:

They may have wanted rid.

You may well be right. Rumour on CN forums is that Dennis wasn't offered a contract extension by Ineos in the first place, and that Rod Ellingworth is the common denominator in his transfer to JV and the transfer from Bahrain two years prior.
  • gsk82 said:

You may well be right. Rumour on CN forums is that Dennis wasn't offered a contract extension by Ineos in the first place, and that Rod Ellingworth is the common denominator in his transfer to JV and the transfer from Bahrain two years prior.
    Given Ellingworth only joined UAE in October 2019, when Dennis had already left the team (riding an unmarked bike in the World's TT in September) that seems a little unlikely.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.

gsk82 said:

Given Ellingworth only joined UAE in October 2019, when Dennis had already left the team (riding an unmarked bike in the World's TT in September) that seems a little unlikely.

And Ellingworth said he tried to get him to stay at Bahrain
  • daniel_b
    r0bh said:
    He looks like he has a lot of potential.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Pross said:

r0bh said:
    And double Junior World CX Champion (like a certain MvdP).
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • daniel_b
    andyrac said:

Pross said:

r0bh said:
    And double Junior World CX Champion (like a certain MvdP).
    Yup, although looks like he has canned the CX to concentrate on road, which for the likes of Pidcock and MvdP doing the opposite has reaped dividends, so maybe Pidders will get him to reconsider.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18