2022 Transfers: Rumours & Facts

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    edited September 2021
    I recall an interview after winning one of the Worlds, and even then he mentioned the Tour; the road has always been the main goal. I'd be surprised (but delighted) if we see him doing any serious CX racing.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac said:

I recall an interview after winning one of the Worlds, and even then he mentioned the Tour; the road has always been the main goal. I'd be surprised (but delighted) if we see him doing any serious CX racing.

I'll keep the Inecros pun on ice then
  • Valverde confirms he’s continuing next season
  • MvdP extends with Alpecin-Fenix until 2025.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • neonriver said:

Valverde confirms he’s continuing next season

and for 8 seasons after that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    neonriver said:

Movistar dysfunction continues
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870

MvdP extends with Alpecin-Fenix until 2025.

That's a lengthy extension - I thought he might consider some higher wage offers, but clearly he loves to race above all else, and wants to partake in MTB and CX as well, so I'm sure that is all written into his contract, as it was previously.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rick_chasey
    daniel_b said:

That's a lengthy extension - I thought he might consider some higher wage offers, but clearly he loves to race above all else, and wants to partake in MTB and CX as well, so I'm sure that is all written into his contract, as it was previously.
    It is a shame!
  • daniel_b said:

It is a shame!
    Why do you think that? They seem to have really got their act together as a team and he has access to all the races he would want to do I think, and gets to determine his own programme.

Do you think he would perform better elsewhere? (genuine question). If so, where?
  • rick_chasey

daniel_b said:

It is a shame!
    Why do you think that? They seem to have really got their act together as a team and he has access to all the races he would want to do I think, and gets to determine his own programme.

Do you think he would perform better elsewhere? (genuine question). If so, where?
    I have no interest in non-road racing, and would like him to race more on the road (as that's what I watch).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    daniel_b said:

I wonder if the MTB crash affecting his late season made them think twice?

I assume he could have got a far higher salary elsewhere though so it's good to see a rider making decisions not based entirely on money.
  • Pross

daniel_b said:

It is a shame!

He doesn't really rely on a team so possibly not but somewhere like Bahrain or UAE may have been good fits for him. I'm sure DQS would love him too.
  • daniel_b
    edited September 2021
    Pross said:

daniel_b said:

I assume he could have got a far higher salary elsewhere though so it's good to see a rider making decisions not based entirely on money.
    Agreed, quite a surprise, but nice all the same, and as you say, all geared up around the races that motivate him the most.

I was going to say he is still young, and can in theory go for the big bucks after this contract, but by the time this contract finishes he will be almost 31, so not past it by any stretch, but potentially not with a long career ahead of him.

Didn't he break contract with the team before AF to move to them?
    So I suspect he may have a get out clause in there.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    No - he's been on the same team since a junior......They've just had different names. (Beobank, Corendon-Circus, now Alpecin-Fenix)
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    neonriver said:

That's so good
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,188
    Viviani back to Ineos for 3 years (not yet confirmed): https://cyclingnews.com/news/elia-viviani-set-to-join-ineos-grenadiers-in-2022/
  • Pross
    red.rider said:

Viviani back to Ineos for 3 years (not yet confirmed): https://cyclingnews.com/news/elia-viviani-set-to-join-ineos-grenadiers-in-2022/

WTF? That's an odd one for both parties.
  • He recently qualified as a chiropractor so he's being signed to work on Egan's dodgy back.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Hardly a surprise after his vuelta tantrum but sounds like Lopez will soon be free to sign for someone as movistar are considering terminating his contract.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2021
    Owain Doull is leaving Ineos. He doesn't say where to but he has a team. He wants to do bigger races, specifically Grand Tours.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    daniel_b said:

Pross said:

daniel_b said:

Agreed, quite a surprise, but nice all the same, and as you say, all geared up around the races that motivate him the most.

I was going to say he is still young, and can in theory go for the big bucks after this contract, but by the time this contract finishes he will be almost 31, so not past it by any stretch, but potentially not with a long career ahead of him.

That was the other van, van Aert wasn't it?

• redvision said:

Hardly a surprise after his vuelta tantrum but sounds like Lopez will soon be free to sign for someone as movistar are considering terminating his contract.

Back to the future by the looks:

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

daniel_b said:

Pross said:

daniel_b said:

Yes, it was WVA.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    RichN95. said:

Owain Doull is leaving Ineos. He doesn't say where to but he has a team. He wants to do bigger races, specifically Grand Tours.

It's top secret because they're making a BIG announcement next week. I'd think it's EF based on that, but he also makes the team sound dire in the cycling news piece and they've done pretty well recently.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

I was surprised to see he only has one Vuelta to his name. That said, I'm surprised he particularly wants to ride GTs as surely he would just be on domestique duties? I thought the Classic would be more his thing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2021
    Pross said:

RichN95. said:

I was surprised to see he only has one Vuelta to his name. That said, I'm surprised he particularly wants to ride GTs as surely he would just be on domestique duties? I thought the Classic would be more his thing.

They're not mutually exclusive. I think every cyclist wants to do the Tour at least once
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • daniel_b
    m.r.m. said:

daniel_b said:

Pross said:

daniel_b said:

Yes, it was WVA.
    That's highly embarassing, apologies :#

Interesting one for Doull.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

It is a shame!

I have no interest in non-road racing, and would like him to race more on the road (as that's what I watch).
    got you. I just thought you were concerned for his bank balance ;-)

Half agree - I think the CX is fine given when it takes place and it's part of who he is as a rider. If he dropped the MTB that would prob be better in my un-expert opinion.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    Pross said:

red.rider said:

Supposedly at Gannas request. viviani has mentored Ganna when they are part of the Italian national team and gets on well with him. Replaces Dennis I suppose
  • daniel_b
    amrushton said:

Pross said:

red.rider said:

Supposedly at Gannas request. viviani has mentored Ganna when they are part of the Italian national team and gets on well with him. Replaces Dennis I suppose
    That does seem very odd - he'll be 36 when/if he sees out his contract.
    Money will be good no doubt, perhaps there is some agreement that he can move into another part of the team post retirement, so maybe guaranteeing an income for the future.

Same for Porte maybe - he has another year on his contract, and will be virtually 38 by that point, so maybe a move elsewhere within the team?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18