Paris Nice 2021 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,251
    All together through the intermediate sprint (Sutterlin), rocketing along at an average of 32kmh.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

Soren Kragh Andersen didn't fancy it. Out of the race with a sore back.

BOTD: Perez, Bernard, Naesen, Rojas, Riesebeek, and that man Doubey.

Yeah, I also took one look at the Women's aging race and thought: "More live race coverage isn't the answer, if they are going to have to race courses like this."
    Could not have come up with a more incredibly dull circuit if they tried.

as a course it isn't going to help - assume there's a cost factor to having them race on closed roads that they can't always absorb. Stuck between a rock and a hard place (or no tv and a boring course)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I was watching T-A, but Sammy B wins the bunch gallop
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    The lead out seemed to be going in slow motion, but it was perfect. Perfect 4-3-2-1 with Bennett probably still having something left in the tank.
    Halfway decent showing from Bouhanni.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • kingstongraham
    Had it on in the corner of the screen. There was a little break for the time bonuses with a few km to go where Izaguirre and Schachman got a few seconds up a hill, Roglic hit the ground and Tony Martin abandoned but otherwise no interest until the sprint.
  • kingstongraham
    Who was the last lead out for Bennett? He seemed to keep it going for a long time and dropped him off perfectly.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Morkov I think.
  • kingstongraham
    Morkov, course it was.
  • lpd2
    lpd2 Posts: 10
    It's being reported in the local paper that the race won't arrive in Nice, but they haven't decided what will happen instead: https://www.nicematin.com/cyclisme/le-paris-nice-narrivera-finalement-pas-a-nice-ce-week-end-en-raison-du-confinement-655447

At any rate, I'm excited as they're going all over my stomping grounds in the Prealpes de Grasse tomorrow, and finishing a stone's throw from my office.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Arnaud Demare managed a creditable 117th in the bunch sprint.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2021

Arnaud Demare managed a creditable 117th in the bunch sprint.

Ah, so that's why. Thought I saw him boxed in towards the front.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    It's always so random. Demare is following his train and has a right to be there and to defend his position. The bora rider isn't where his train is. I think sprinting should be allowed to have a certain level of controlled roughness, but after the Groenewegen Jakobsen incident, I doubt that is possible.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    I'd have put this in today's stage post if I'd seen it...

In May 1953 when Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay reached the roof of the world for the first time, and conquered Mount Everest, a small team of french explorers led by Fernand Petzl had discovered the then deepest cave in the world to a record depth of -1122m (3680ft). To this day, the Gouffre Berger in the Vercors still stands as one of the most popular caves in the world and is frequently visited by adventure cavers with hopes of reaching the bottom within a 10-day permit. This photograph of Lake Cadoux was taken a decade ago as part of a book project I worked on all about the cave.

Robbie Shone Photography

Stage 7

We turn West to East today

Some little lumps with a Big Lump in the middle. The Paris Nice website doest do final km profiles, but from this it seems like the finish could be a steep little kick up to the line

https://www.paris-nice.fr/en/stage-6

Will the Big Sprinters get over the lump in the middle? Is this finally the day Bling takes a victory in a reduced gallop? Will Roglic still win anyway? Is this a day for a break?

We finish down by the sea (or as close to the sea as the local mayors will allow)

We finally approach the Mediterranean so the food begins to turn fishier and olive oilier. he staples of Provencal cooking - olive oil, garlic and herbs - take on an Italian influence in Cote d’Azur cuisine. You’ll find wide use of ravioli, cannelloni, gnocci and pistou, similar to pesto. Try savoury Provencal chickpea pancakes and pissaladiere, a pizza topped with black olives, onions and anchovy. Fish in many forms is commonly found on menus, from soup (bouillabaisse) and stew (bourride) both served with garlic mayonnaise, to simply grilled with lemon or herbs.

My search for wine was a lot less fruitful. It would appear the Alpes Maritimes are too heat scorched for viticulture. Locals rather favour the Provencale wines we will encounter tomorrow.

- @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2021
    The local wine is Coteaux Varois (rose of course) and chestnuts are the local foodie (kind of anyway) product, from the Massif des Maures, South of Brignoles, towards the Med.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Is nobody going to mention the Belgian only, 11 man attack with 70km to go?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles

Is nobody going to mention the Belgian only, 11 man attack with 70km to go?

How's this?

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/03/11-belgians-paris-nice-breakaway/
  • blazing_saddles
    Regarding Tony Martin's crash yesterday, which ended up in another protracted concussion debate, due to the fact that Martin appeared almost to collapse, when trying to re-mount: I thought at the time they were completely on the wrong track.
    They were:

Ugh, nasty.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    m.r.m. said:

The lead out seemed to be going in slow motion, but it was perfect. Perfect 4-3-2-1 with Bennett probably still having something left in the tank.
    Halfway decent showing from Bouhanni.

chris horner on his you tube thing tlks about the stages. Good breakdowns, he said it didnt get any better than that. Worth a watch, he picks up on some action we might miss
  • ddraver
    Mads is up for it!

I've learnt that it is never better to find out the lyrics behind these apres ski (to me) songs but this one is...seriously confusing. What are they doing with the mother of Nicki Lauda?? 🤨
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2021
    Thanks to Nice's resident tw@t, Paris-Nice just got butchered.

Okay, just found the new full profile:

When it was supposed to be this:

The boys must be quaking in their boots.
    Time, I think for the ASO to re-brand Paris-Nice.
    Paris-Menton perhaps?

• kingstongraham
    *whispers* It's not a very interesting race is it? And just got a bit less so.
  • blazing_saddles

*whispers* It's not a very interesting race is it? And just got a bit less so.

The penultimate stage of the race still loses almost 50km of distance too.
    The final 2 stages add up to a smidge over 200kms.
    Just the job for riders aiming to ride a 300km race in a week.

I have to post some of CW's hilariously upbeat update:

The new profile is still hilly as the race takes in two and a half laps of a 33.5km circuit starting in Plain-du-Var taking in the Côte de Duranus three times as well as a gradual rise to the finish town of Levens before descending back down to the start point.

The stage could see some real fireworks as it is just 92.5km long, potentially leaving the race open to big changes in the general classification.

Fortunately, Tirreno-Adriatico offers up this little number as alternative viewing:

Mmmm, tough call. :D
  • ddraver
    I fear it may be a good long while until Paris Nice finishes in Nice again...
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    ddraver said:

I fear it may be a good long while until Paris Nice finishes in Nice again...

Indeed. I think Nice has to be knocked on the head altogether as far as professional cycling is concerned, as long as the current plonker is calling the shots.

The ASO could take the opportunity to actually rebrand the race, without actually losing any historical significance by simply calling by it's other long referred to name.
    It would allow so much more flexibility for the Sunday showdown.
    I would go so far as to say they need to, as the RCS in conjunction with Rai, have carefully cultivated Tirreno-Adriatico's growing status.

• ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154

The ASO could take the opportunity to actually rebrand the race, without actually losing any historical significance by simply calling by it's other long referred to name.
    I would go so far as to say they need to, as the RCS in conjunction with Rai, have carefully cultivated Tirreno-Adriatico's growing status.

If they rebranded it officially as "The Race to the Sun" they could switch around finishing towns from Monaco to Biarritz and all points in between
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

If they rebranded it officially as "The Race to the Sun" they could switch around finishing towns from Monaco to Biarritz and all points in between
    Exactly this

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    ddraver said:

Mads is up for it!

I've learnt that it is never better to find out the lyrics behind these apres ski (to me) songs but this one is...seriously confusing. What are they doing with the mother of Nicki Lauda?? 🤨
    The song is about what the singer thinks to do if the DJ in the disco turns the music down (the clip to which Pedersen is dancing), or when house-partying till dawn if the police arrive, e.g.

Then if the copper stands at the front door,
    Oh oh eho
    And turns our music down again,
    Oh oh eho
    Then I have a question ready for him,
    Oh oh eho
    And hope that he'd also like to answer it,
    What is the mother of Niki Lauda called?
    Mama Laudaaa, Mama Laudaaa.
    What is the mother of Niki Lauda called?
    Mama Laudaaa, Mama Laudaaa.
    Because I don't see a problem here,
    To ultimately turn up the music

I'm rather taken with the idea of Apres-ski/Ballermann songs before a race; I'll put some on the phone to listen to in the start zone of the next sportive/gran fondo. :D
  • blazing_saddles
    Case in point: live coverage starts with so much action and incident already having taken place.
    58kms left