Paris Nice 2021 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    That’s a huge lead by Paris Nice standards
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Well you can't complain roglic only sprints the last 500m ... That sprint bonus worked
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Didn't we invent this mid climb sprint in chat here last year ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702

As in, sprint to get the 10s gap and then just hold that?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    edited March 2021

No, as in bonus seconds 3km from the top of a finishing climb.
  • rick_chasey

No, as in bonus seconds 3km from the top of a finishing climb.
    Gotcha.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Time bonuses are rubbish.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Lost the tweet now but looks like Tao went out due to a bang on the head. Was pulled out by the team.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I thought the time it was a bit odd the way TGH went down - almost like the wheel caught something and tucked in underneath him rather than sliding out.
  • rick_chasey
    Ugh, i had a fair bit of concussion after my accident a few months ago.

What really got me was I only knew I was suffering with it after the fact.

I would be in client video calls barely making sense and it was only afterwards when I would lie down and feel weird that I would realise that I'd been a bit foggy and a mess all day.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    Tao & Ineos seems quite a contrast from George Bennett & Jumbo.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    When he first dropped back after the crash and Blythe was saying he seemed to have hurt his wrist it looked like he had a flat tyre. I initially thought he'd dropped back to get a wheel change. If it was flat I wondered if that had caused his crash. Good to see a team taking head injuries seriously at last.
  • blazing_saddles

Already been reported that the doctor checked out Bennett off camera, before he was allowed to continue.

• ddraver
    edited March 2021

Stage 5

https://www.paris-nice.fr/

Back to the Flat - The Route can be described by drawing a vertical line and a horizontal line across a piece of paper

somewhere on twitter

Confess I don't know anything about this part of La Belle France. My geologist's eye suggests that as it is sandwiched between the Ardeche and the Alps the only wind we can expect is a howling head or tail wind so the klaxon will stay in the cupboard and the sprinters will have their moment. G'waan there Sam!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    I wouldn't be so sure. There's 16-18 knot SW wind forecast at the finish which could make the section where it turns East across the Rhone just before the 3rd cat climb interesting.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Someone in response to Tao's tweet mention these things from Tozuda which go all red if the head decelerates too much. I wonder if they (or similar produced by Lapparient's mate at the IOC) will become mandatory in future

Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver said:
    I think France just declared a massive spike today didn't they?
  • blazing_saddles
    ddraver said:
    He's at it again. The man is a real pain. Hates bike races, loves headlines.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    RichN95. said:

Someone in response to Tao's tweet mention these things from Tozuda which go all red if the head decelerates too much. I wonder if they (or similar produced by Lapparient's mate at the IOC) will become mandatory in future

This was suggested during last season. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    edited March 2021
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited March 2021
    pblakeney said:

This was suggested during last season. 😉

By me amongst others. Now I know they exist
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    pblakeney said:
    It's entirely possible that his official Twitter account isn't actually coming from his phone, and that TGH sees the tweets emanating from it no sooner than the rest of us. Even if it is generally him it doesn't take much to unlock a phone and throw it in the direction of a tame PR wonk to type out.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    ddraver said:

It's difficult to say it's under-rated - maybe under-rated by the raver household - but it is rather lovely...

Did a really nice ride up that climb when we were camping near Macon one year - it is a really nice area for cycling.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928

Already been reported that the doctor checked out Bennett off camera, before he was allowed to continue.

I am aware that is what was reported, but anyone who saw the footage of George Bennett staggering around in a daze after he hit the deck and split hit helmet would question what sort of assessment was done and how thoroughly.

I'm guessing you may not have seen the footage, because if you had, of all the people on this board, I'd expect you to have thought he'd be pulled out.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2021

I am aware that is what was reported, but anyone who saw the footage of George Bennett staggering around in a daze after he hit the deck and split hit helmet would question what sort of assessment was done and how thoroughly.

I'm guessing you may not have seen the footage, because if you had, of all the people on this board, I'd expect you to have thought he'd be pulled out.
    I did see it and that was my initial thought.
    It was mentioned in commentary yesterday that cycling protocols are not the double check that they are in rugby.
    I would have assumed secondary check out after the stage, but I don't know for a fact that is what all teams do.
    I would have thought Jumbo did and would have not have allowed him to start yesterday.

Edit: He was interviewed yesterday about Roglic but had this to say:

“It definitely hurt a bit more than I thought. But when you hit the ground at full speed, it’s not gonna make you go faster. Fortunately, my head’s fine and that’s the main thing that, obviously, other people were worried about. No memory loss, nothing like that.”

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/george-bennett-ive-never-seen-roglic-looking-so-good/
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Isn't it a bit oversimplistic from an armchair to say "he looked shook up, must be concussion"? I know the pros probably fall more than the rest of us so are a little bit used to it, but looking shaky after a tumble with no head contact at all is entirely normal isn't it; not saying that the medics are being as precautionary as they could be, but on the ground treatment / conversation / assessment trumps "I saw those pictures on TV and I could tell he should have had a better assessment because the way his knees wobbled".
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    larkim said:

Isn't it a bit oversimplistic from an armchair to say "he looked shook up, must be concussion"? I know the pros probably fall more than the rest of us so are a little bit used to it, but looking shaky after a tumble with no head contact at all is entirely normal isn't it; not saying that the medics are being as precautionary as they could be, but on the ground treatment / conversation / assessment trumps "I saw those pictures on TV and I could tell he should have had a better assessment because the way his knees wobbled".

Not sure how you got the impression Bennett's head didn't make contact with the ground when his helmet was shattered?
  • blazing_saddles
    ddraver said:

Stage 5

https://www.paris-nice.fr/

Back to the Flat - The Route can be described by drawing a vertical line and a horizontal line across a piece of paper

somewhere on twitter

Confess I don't know anything about this part of La Belle France. My geologist's eye suggests that as it is sandwiched between the Ardeche and the Alps the only wind we can expect is a howling head or tail wind so the klaxon will stay in the cupboard and the sprinters will have their moment. G'waan there Sam!
    Anyone who has done the dash to the Med, will know this route. It basically runs parallel to the péage, following the Rhône basin. It is, as you say, sandwiched between the Ardeche and the Alps (Drôme) and thus cuts a perpendicular between the two semi classics that took place on the last weekend of February.
    Copyright shown on this profile, so here goes:

Anyhow, continuing the theme, it's mega famous wine country.

How about a glass of Roasted Hillside?

Or for lovers of white, we have this exclusive little number.