Paris Nice 2021 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,858
    Robber Roglic
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,691
    Ah, that was a pretty sad ending. Poor old Mader.
  • andytee87
    andytee87 Posts: 406
    edited March 2021
    Is this part of why he has a bad day in the GTs though? Doesn't know when to coast in, always after 1 or 2 seconds, getting involved in uphill sprints etc but then has a huge jour sans.

Definitely not interested in making allies anyway
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Not cool Roglic. Not cool.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • siddy1972
    siddy1972 Posts: 180
    I know he’s not there to make friends, but boy, that sucked. He’s already got 2 stages and almost certainly the overall.
    “It’s not enough that I succeed, others must fail”.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,397
    hmmmm....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Impressive by Roglic. At least he knows he’s in a bike race.
  • ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    Oooh, who is this 'English Orla' on the GCN sofa?

Edit - She makes a good point about Sam Bennett and MSR tho... Tasty proposition
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    ddraver said:

I don't think cycling works like that anymore
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    edited March 2021
    Roglic is such a cycling newbie. He could be the guy on any local "race team" who lives on zwift and counts his calories. He won't know about gifting stages. I doubt he's ever heard of Indurain.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,864
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

I don't think cycling works like that anymore
    Dunno. I seem to recall some alliances last season but can't remember specifics.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    gsk82 said:

Roglic is such a cycling newbie. He could be the guy on any local "race team" who lives on zwift and counts his calories. He won't know about gifting stages. I doubt he's ever heard of Indurain.

That's my thought as well...

It was brought up on Gee's new podcast recently as well and he said most people would never have slowed down to let a solitary break rider win a stage either. In that case it was referring to the one he nicked off of...someone...in the ?Dolphin
    - @ddraver
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 717
    ddraver said:

@jimmyjams ^ That is just wonderful!

Presumably these guys are shouting 'Hyper, hyper'?

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 717
    Think some of you guys are being too kind, Roglic is not that new or that young.
    Bennett said the other day Roglic was in the form of his life, which might be true, however, the way he set off after Mäder about about the 1 km mark, suggested to me that if he carries on like that, he'll be burnt out by Summer.
    His repeat closer the line, after the others re-joined him, didn't look quite as intensive, but was mean to Mäder. Would have been different if the rider in front had been someone to whom Roglic needed to demonstrate his strength.
    To refer back to the Johnny Däpp song, Rogla is n echt vollgepumpter depp.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,940
    edited March 2021
    Wouldn't have happened in my day . When I was in Paris Moscow I decided to attack hard in the gutter .... continued on page 94
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2021
    ddraver said:

It was brought up on Gee's new podcast recently as well and he said most people would never have slowed down to let a solitary break rider win a stage either. In that case it was referring to the one he nicked off of...someone...in the ?Dolphin

It was a the Tour stage were he caught Nieve just before the line. Although on that occasion four others caught him too, but Thomas attacked with about 500m to go. And Nieve was his old teammate.
  • ddraver
    I knew it was something like that...

I was suffering up a hill at the time so was only half listening.
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,344
    That was just cruel by Roglic. Well within his rights and I think professionals don't need handouts. One could argue it's showing Mäder more respect, by not "letting him" anything. Among the best of the best you only get to keep the prize you kill.
    Still cruel though. Tactically I think it would have been smarter to leave Mäder to win and coast in for second.

This stage developed some drama at the very end, but by and large JV ride like the worst criticisms of the Sky train. It's really rather anticlimactic. The Tirreno stage was so much better to watch.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,727
    Roglič is a winner. Winners win. 50th of his career. Mäder not quite good enough to take the stage win. Tough that. Good try, next time? Do not at all get the 'Roglič shouldn't have won that like that' vibe.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited March 2021
    But Mercyx and Hinault would understand. Armstrong would call it a dick move as he did a similar thing against Andreas Kloden. But that was with hindsight. Roglic wants time and he lets others know he will take the win given a chance. His rivals know the game and would do the same as evidenced by Thomas. What would Madiot or LeFevre say?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    How much of a win would have been for Mader, if Roglic had sat up. Everyone would have seen it and every time it came up it would be “ But Roglic gifted you that win”
  • RichN95.
    How often are wins gifted anyway? Teammates aside. I can remember Contador gifting Tiralongo one, but he was an ex-teammate. Voigt didn't contest the finale of LBL as he'd sat in Vino's wheel all the way to the finish
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,682
    RichN95. said:

How often are wins gifted anyway? Teammates aside. I can remember Contador gifting Tiralongo one, but he was an ex-teammate. Voigt didn't contest the finale of LBL as he'd sat in Vino's wheel all the way to the finish

That helped him win the Vuelta in 2012.
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2021

RichN95. said:

That helped him win the Vuelta in 2012.

Isn't that just mates helping each other out. Like Bernie Eisel chasing in the 2012 Olympics. Similar to Tony Gallopin working with Geraint Thomas when he won Paris-Nice because they were friends.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,864
    Quid pro quo. There has to be something for both sides to gain from (present or future) or the gloves are off.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,952
    Did Roglic not get criticism in the TDF post mortem for not riding aggressively enough prior to the TT.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021

Stage 8

Rob Hatch did his best to big this up yesterday, but really can anyone see Roglic losing now?

3 Laps of this

Making a profile like this -

Technically we start in Alpes Maritimes so no wine talk, but as I saving the rose for Nice, I'll give you a different slant on a wine reccomendation

Tomorrow Ma Raver is getting a bottle of Whispering Angel for Mother's Day. It would appear that some of the Provencale Chateauxs have dragged themselves out of the dark ages and are now marketing rose to the Lahndahn daahling, sloane ranger girls who keep cheap Italian Prosecco makers in business. Despite being, reportedly, the most popular rose in the US (🤔), It is certainly not cheap and given that I actually struggled to get hold of a bottle today - even in Plymuff - it appears to be making Moet Hennessey a bunch of cash...

Having said all that, it is one of the few rose wines I've samples that I accept have the complexity of properly good whites and reds.
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I mean, I know you're taking the piss but I think the presence of rubbish prosecco in provincial tesco stores implies it is rather more mainstream than Sloane Square