Paris Nice 2021 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Missed an easy PTP there I reckon.

Tried to do it at the top of Snake Pass at 11.55 but didn't have enough signal. Hey ho.

All the Glossop side is a signal blackspot. You can get good signal near the Snake Pass Inn.

Annoyingly, Radio Sheffield cuts out right at the top, meaning I missed a lot of Sheffield United commentary while driving between Sheffield and Manchester
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Pross said:

I do feel Porte sometimes lacks that mental toughness. Other riders who supposedly fall regularly like Thomas are back on if at all possible whereas Porte always seems to need a bit of a check up and encouragement (that Tour crash a few years ago being the most obvious example). Sivakov last year looked like another who may be similar. He'll probably finish with a broken hip to spite me now!

Ineos, Arkea and Bike Exchange are battling for most crash prone team in this race.

D you mean the crash on the cobbles stage in 2018 (before they hit the stones) where he bust his collar bone, or the crash in 2017 where he c0cked up the bend on a descent and walloped into the rock wall breaking his pelvis?

In either case, I don't think any amount of 'toughness' was going to help him carry on.

What could be questioned is his positioning and / or (as per the bad descent crash) handling & decision making.

Dan Lloyd made an interesting point that if you're not one of the taller riders (i.e. a short ar53) then you're very reliant on signals from the guy in front, and can't look down the road so well to see if it's narrowing etc. The counter point to that of course is to make sure your guys keep you further up the bunch.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    Swifty said it was a loose bottle so not really something that could be pointed out.

Reports today saying nothings broken so hopefully he'll be back soon.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    ddraver said:

Swifty said it was a loose bottle so not really something that could be pointed out.

Yeah he said George Bennett hit the bottle, lost control and then hit Porte
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Missed an easy PTP there I reckon.

Tried to do it at the top of Snake Pass at 11.55 but didn't have enough signal. Hey ho.

All the Glossop side is a signal blackspot. You can get good signal near the Snake Pass Inn.

Annoyingly, Radio Sheffield cuts out right at the top, meaning I missed a lot of Sheffield United commentary while driving between Sheffield and Manchester
    It did say I had signal, but kept bouncing between 1 bar of 4g and 5g and dropping my connection to the website...

Did the Ring of Fire loop (Snake, Strines, Holme Moss) - cracking route but freezing on the descents... 2300m in less than 130k for me too.
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

More the behaviour I'd expect in rugby than cycling tbh.

I've just noticed if you replaced 'Bennett' with 'Best' it would become a different story
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Klaxxon. QS splitting it
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Sound the klaxon....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo caught out
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo pull it back
  • mididoctors
    Bun fight to stay at the front 60 k left
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    That was a powerful pee!!
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    Tao Vs Andre for the intermediate sprint!! 😁

George Bennett hits the ground after the sprint. Looks ok but taken a knock to the head.

Back on bike after a check but...other sports fans will say that was a quick check 🤔
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    I'm not sure Bennett (George) should be continuing
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    RichN95. said:

Certainly looked a bit woozy as he first got up.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Definitely woozy
  • blazing_saddles
    Concussion protocol is riding in a straight line.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2021
    More falling down.
    Vuillermoz ko'd by the looks.
  • ddraver
    3 to go, switch on

Bit messy
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    Waaaahh crazy switchback at 1.5 to go

Crash at 1 to go..Ackerman down but looks ok

Edit - wasn't Ackerman, not sure who
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    Perfect lead out by Trek, but wonderful wheel surfing by Cees Bol for his first World Tour win

- @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

Perfect lead out by Trek, but wonderful wheel surfing by Cees Bol

Must be a nice change for DSM after their lead outs for everyone else in the Tour last year
  • mididoctors
    Stressful day for the riders
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021

ddraver said:

Perfect lead out by Trek, but wonderful wheel surfing by Cees Bol

Must be a nice change for DSM after their lead outs for everyone else in the Tour last year
    I nearly wrote something a little more cynical but I thought i'd be nice... 😇 Given that I totally forgot Sam Bennett was in yellow and Mads in green it seemed inappropriate

Matthews pips Sam for 3rd and goes into the race lead by 4s

Not the best day from Sam really...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,478
    Not sure why Bennett was starting so far back, slowed by the Bora crash maybe? I was watching him moving up fast so was thinking he might come through and then saw Bol with his arms in the air.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308

RichN95. said:

Certainly looked a bit woozy as he first got up.
    It's the drinking...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929

RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

More the behaviour I'd expect in rugby than cycling tbh.
    Some good early season posting form there.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021

Stage 3 - TT

Yeah, I'm not bothered either. Will post the results bout 4-ish...
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    "This is what peak aero looks like. You might not like it, but..."

Meanwhile, INRNG reports second-hand that George Bennett was checked over by the medics without the cameras catching it, and tailed back to the bunch by an ambulance. Not sure the optics were great, and it feels to me at least like the protocol needs some work (the reason rugby players are off for so long is so that they get checked twice), but I guess it's progress that it's even a discussion.