Tennis G.O.A.T?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Nadal speaking some sense.

What's he said?
    "Djokovic, he adds, "made his own decisions, and everybody is free to take their own decisions, but then there are some consequences"."

Pretty much what I've been saying about vaccines for the past year.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Would say it is remarkable that the BBC news felt the need to put this above the Kazak potential revolution on the bill.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    Disappointing that Russel Fuller just claimed he was a political football.

So, BBC -

visa being granted to world no. 1 and world's healthiest 34 year old, just one of 4 of the 26 such applications from tennis players = perfectly independent decision

But said player rocking up with a visa but no proof of a positive PCR test in the last 6 months = political interference.

That is p!ss poor fanboy journalism.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    This is a serious matter it's not some kind of Toga party!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,605
    He should claim it is a work meeting, that would be accepted in the UK.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

He should claim it is a work meeting, that would be accepted in the UK.

Key point is he is not in the UK. Oz is applying the rules across the board unlike the UK which created specific exemptions in order to host the Euros.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621
    So it seems the Djoker's vaccine exemption was based on a claim that he tested positive for Covid on 16th December.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,430
    mrb123 said:

So it seems the Djoker's vaccine exemption was based on a claim that he tested positive for Covid on 16th December.

I wonder how he proves it was his positive test. They should be able to test him for antibodies?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,561
    seanoconn said:

mrb123 said:

I wonder how he proves it was his positive test. They should be able to test him for antibodies?
    yep, he should volunteer for a blood test, at worst it'll be inconclusive, but as he's unvaccinated the presence of c19 antibodies could only support his case, may be left over bits of c19 still floating around as well

it seems a remarkable coincidence that he tested positive at just the right time, not too soon to be applicable, not too late to rule out travel to the event, not too serious to affect his health

also can't recall any announcement that he had covid but it being no problem at all thus supporting his position on vaccination
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • seanoconn
    sungod said:

seanoconn said:

mrb123 said:

yep, he should volunteer for a blood test, at worst it'll be inconclusive, but as he's unvaccinated the presence of c19 antibodies could only support his case, may be left over bits of c19 still floating around as well

it seems a remarkable coincidence that he tested positive at just the right time, not too soon to be applicable, not too late to rule out travel to the event, not too serious to affect his health

also can't recall any announcement that he had covid but it being no problem at all thus supporting his position on vaccination
    There was no report of him having covid. If he refuses a blood test or no antibodies are found, a lengthy bad might be in order (might be jumping the gun here 😂)
  • First.Aspect
    Does it actually make any difference? The BBC reporting is characteristically hopeless, but it seems to be that Federal requirements differ from Victorian requirements - so you can get into Victoria on this basis, but can't get into the country from abroad.

Not sure how he had the visa in the first place, if that's the, though.
  • Pross
    I suspect the last thing he'll want is a sample of his blood in the public domain.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,847
    edited January 2022
    When filling in his Aus Open exemption form no later than 10th December, how did he know he would test positve on 16th?

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,698

• seanoconn

When filling in his Aus Open exemption form no later than 10th December, how did he know he would test positve on 16th?

Djokovic in serious danger of tarnishing his legacy permanently. Arrogance unsurprisingly his ruination.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,940

Well considering he believes you can purify water by positive thought, knowing he'd test positive should be fairly simple in comparison.
  • pblakeney

Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Well he won the appeal!
  • pblakeney
    It's not over yet though.
    "Australia's immigration minister is considering using his power to re-cancel the visa.
    The government insists that Djokovic's recent Covid infection does not make him eligible for an exemption from entry rules."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

"Australia's immigration minister is considering using his power to re-cancel the visa.
    The government insists that Djokovic's recent Covid infection does not make him eligible for an exemption from entry rules."

They're all starting to look a bit silly aren't they? If he was told that getting himself a positive test at a convenient moment would get him the exemption, then it's absolutely understandable that's what he would have done.

Surely nobody has any real confidence that he actually had covid though?
  • pblakeney
    Australian Tennis looking stupid for telling him that he could go.
    Djokovic looking stupid with his Covid claims and actions while "infected".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

They're all starting to look a bit silly aren't they?
    I think the Australian authorities would achieve the seemingly impossible in surrendering the moral highground to Novax if they have another go at this. Their original deportation order was overturned (I think they actually withdrew it before it was formally overturned) due to basic process failures - not given Novax time to address the issues raised - and such cakchandedness really deserves to end in failure, even if the beneficiary is the world's least deserving cause.

• focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

Australian Tennis looking stupid for telling him that he could go.
    Djokovic looking stupid with his Covid claims and actions while "infected".

Fifteen all then.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited January 2022
    Sounds more like "new balls" to me.

Absolute farce, with a massivebellend in the middle of it all.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • focuszing723
    Time called for injury?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646
    He seems to have also submitted an anti-body test with his visa application.
  • pblakeney said:

I think the Australian authorities would achieve the seemingly impossible in surrendering the moral highground to Novax if they have another go at this. Their original deportation order was overturned (I think they actually withdrew it before it was formally overturned) due to basic process failures - not given Novax time to address the issues raised - and such cakchandedness really deserves to end in failure, even if the beneficiary is the world's least deserving cause.

I agree - Australia will need to do a Netherlands style land reclamation project to put Novak on a moral ground that is relatively higher on this.
  • Pross

pblakeney said:

They had also exempted at least two other people on the same basis and had to round them up and deport them. As they weren't superstars of the sport they couldn't afford to fight the decision.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

They had also exempted at least two other people on the same basis and had to round them up and deport them. As they weren't superstars of the sport they couldn't afford to fight the decision.
    No doubt they will also get a three year ban from Australia and deported stamped in their passport. Australia is really not covering itself in glory here.
  • First.Aspect
    I'm struggling to follow this. If the process had been followed correctly that morning, would he have been deported, or did he eventually provide sufficient proof that he (or someone very close to him!!) had tested positive?