Tennis G.O.A.T?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    Looks like the pressure / nerves have got to her unless she's injured a stomach muscle. Pretty sure it's the former though.

She's winning points when she takes her time but then goes for outright winners and manages to blow the opportunity.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Covid?
  • Pross
    It looked a bit like everything suddenly got to her rather than there being an injury as she was moving well enough once a point got going.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I'm sorry of this upsets some people, which I know it will, but Romanian father, Chinese mother, born in Canada but we laud her as British, it really is clutching at straws.

About as British as that American sprinter who is now British.

Roger Black was British.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,612
    womack said:

I'm sorry of this upsets some people, which I know it will, but Romanian father, Chinese mother, born in Canada but we laud her as British, it really is clutching at straws.

Roger Black was British.

She has lived in London since she was two. Which country would you like her to represent?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,239
    womack said:

Roger Black was British.

I think Roger Black still is British, but I don't see the relevance here.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768

womack said:

Roger Black was British.

I think Roger Black still is British, but I don't see the relevance here.
    In some people's minds you have to be able to trace your family back to the Magna Carta in order to qualify.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680
    womack said:

Roger Black was British.

How you define who is British and who isn't?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    If you have the new blue passport, you're British...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • womack

womack said:

Roger Black was British.

I'm British, born and raised. If I emigrated to Canada and took Canadian citizenship I would still be British. Yes I could obtain a Canadian passport but would never be Canadian.

The girl in question is a British citizen, a British passport holder but is not British, she is Canadian by birth.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680
    womack said:

womack said:

Roger Black was British.

I'm British, born and raised. If I emigrated to Canada and took Canadian citizenship I would still be British. Yes I could obtain a Canadian passport but would never be Canadian.

The girl in question is a British citizen, a British passport holder but is not British, she is Canadian by birth.
    So if someone is born in say, Germany, and 5 days later move and spend the rest of their life in the UK, you would say they are what, German?
  • Pross

womack said:

womack said:

Roger Black was British.

So if someone is born in say, Germany, and 5 days later move and spend the rest of their life in the UK, you would say they are what, German?
    This was commonplace when we had lots of military based out there. Likewise, Hong Kong and prior to that places like India. Some of the poshest, most British of Brits were born outside the UK. Basing nationality on place of birth is ridiculous.

That said, I'm not a fan of people who emigrate to a country in adulthood and then compete for that country at sport especially when they have represented other countries at junior levels. That's not the case in this situation though.
  • kingstongraham
    edited July 2021
    womack said:

womack said:

Roger Black was British.

So Boris Johnson is American and not British?
  • Pross
    womack said:

womack said:

Roger Black was British.

Well you could be, you'd just be choosing not to be.

• elbowloh
    womack said:

womack said:

Roger Black was British.

Boris is a yank.

She was there for two years, so born, but not raised. Neither of her parents are Canadian.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    edited July 2021
    Bit harsh to say that Prince Philip didn't ever really become British.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,492
    If she wins, nobody will care about how British she might be.

On a related point, remember when Britain's Andy Murray won Wimbledon a few years back, but this year Scotland's Andy Murray got knocked out? :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • focuszing723
    I'm a human being of Earth. I am an Earthling. Can't we all just be Earthlings?

Anyway she's being interviewed now and seems fine, which is great.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    edited July 2021
    womack said:

womack said:

Roger Black was British.

You, sir, are a pr*ck, quite possibly of the highest order. I'm not sure why everyone else is dancing round the issue.

Do you get a special passport to let everyone know?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,612
    The UK changed the rules a few years ago. Being born in the UK is not enough to make you British, you also need parents who live there or are British.
  • womack
    hopkinb said:

womack said:

womack said:

Roger Black was British.

You, sir, are a pr*ck, quite possibly of the highest order. I'm not sure why everyone else is dancing round the issue.

Maybe I am but at least I don't resort to personal insults. That must be your skill set.
  • hopkinb
    Yes, massive skillset. I insult obvious pr*cks. Everyone else, I'm a pussycat.

Honestly. Ask anyone. I've been here ages. I'd do it to your face.

Literally who gives a flying fcuk about her parentage or country of birth unless they're a pr*ck. She was brought up here, she holds a British passport. She's as British as me.
  • hopkinb
    Have you answered any of the people who didn't insult your precious British ego?

Maybe you can bring them down with a withering considered critique of how your being "born and raised" British makes you more British than someone else who is British?
  • womack
    I don't equate how long you have been here makes your opinion any more valid than someone who joined yesterday.
  • hopkinb
    You have totally missed the point. I don't make a point of being rude to people. I have been here a long time, I have very rarely been rude to anyone.

Explain why you are more British than someone else who is British, and why it matters.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,402
    hopkinb said:

You have totally missed the point. I don't make a point of being rude to people. I have been here a long time, I have very rarely been rude to anyone.

Explain why you are more British than someone else who is British, and why it matters.

Never heard of you. Must be new. Sound feisty too.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

Never heard of you. Must be new. Sound feisty too.
    Says the newbie.
    And as such, your opinion counts for fuck all.
  • focuszing723
    What really annoys me is I bet half you c0ck Kn0ckers can't even play tennis. Darts is about the limit.
  • elbowloh

What really annoys me is I bet half you c0ck Kn0ckers can't even play tennis. Darts is about the limit.

Good forehand and backhand, but my serve is fecking terrible.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk