Tennis G.O.A.T?

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,734

I'm struggling to follow this. If the process had been followed correctly that morning, would he have been deported, or did he eventually provide sufficient proof that he (or someone very close to him!!) had tested positive?

Both. He provided a blood test showing anti-bodies and a PCR test result. These were accepted by Australia (or Victoria or whatever) and his visa was issued. Australia (federal bit) then decided to cancel his visa, but failed to follow due process in doing so. Australia can still cancel his visa and deport him if they follow the correct process.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,904
    Purely procedural I believe.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Ben6899 said:

Sounds more like "new balls" to me.

Absolute farce, with a massive bellend in the middle of it all.

That's a pre-requisite to becoming a Prime Minister.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,693

I'm struggling to follow this. If the process had been followed correctly that morning, would he have been deported, or did he eventually provide sufficient proof that he (or someone very close to him!!) had tested positive?

Both. He provided a blood test showing anti-bodies and a PCR test result. These were accepted by Australia (or Victoria or whatever) and his visa was issued. Australia (federal bit) then decided to cancel his visa, but failed to follow due process in doing so. Australia can still cancel his visa and deport him if they follow the correct process.
    Right, so the political calculation is whether it will play better domestically to deport the antivaxxer, or to back down.
  • First.Aspect

This will be tricky to explain. Makes me wonder if he'll struggle to get into France as well as New York.
  • Why would it be tricky to explain given his previous behaviour regarding covid? There's no inconsistency at all.
  • Pross
    I wonder how hard it is for one of the biggest celebrities in Serbia to obtain a fake positive Covid test result with the dates falling just into the sweet spot? I can't imagine there's that level of corruption over there.
  • joe2019
    Pross said:

I wonder how hard it is for one of the biggest celebrities in Serbia to obtain a fake positive Covid test result with the dates falling just into the sweet spot? I can't imagine there's that level of corruption over there.

To be honest, we all could probably get one with a quick online search.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

If that is Australia's position then they could just do another independent anti-body test. Would have been a lot easier.
  • TheBigBean
    In fairness to Djokovic, he comes across ok having flown around the world and left in a room for 4 hours in the middle of the night.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/10/i-am-not-vaccinated-novak-djokovics-interview-with-australian-border-force
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,463

In fairness to Djokovic, he comes across ok having flown around the world and left in a room for 4 hours in the middle of the night.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/10/i-am-not-vaccinated-novak-djokovics-interview-with-australian-border-force

Comes across a lot better than the interviewer.

How the hell did the Guardian get the interview!?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • joe2019

This will be tricky to explain. Makes me wonder if he'll struggle to get into France as well as New York.

He's already been cleared to play in France.

• TheBigBean
    seanoconn said:

Comes across a lot better than the interviewer.

How the hell did the Guardian get the interview!?
    It was released during the court case.
  • Pross
    joe2019 said:

As long as he doesn't have a British passport.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,629
    Pross said:

joe2019 said:

As long as he doesn't have a British passport.
    Once upon a time that was nearly a reality...
    https://www.tennisnow.com/Blogs/NET-POSTS/June-2021-(1)/Djokovic-Recalls-Brush-With-British-Citizenship.aspx

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,572
    Looking less rosy for Djokovic by the hour. Now it seems he declared false information in his immigration paperwork (an "admin error by his team" apparently), has issued statements to "clarify" his public engagements which is in direct conflict with what he's provided to the Federal Court here as evidence - under legal affidavit - and Der Speigel in Germany reckons his actual test results from Serbian Health Department are possibly faked due to some oddness in the date stamps and number sequencing of them.

I assume the only reason our clusterf**k of a government haven't chucked him out already is they're probably suggesting to his team he may want to consider faking an injury and withdrawing "of his own accord" and leaving. That way he may - just may - get to come back next year. If he's turfed out now officially he's barred for 3 years automatically, which at his age will likely mean an end to his chances of ever winning here again.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923
    Also....the Serbs are unhappy at his activities while "infected".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2022
    🤣🤣🤣
    While also being a valid point....
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,463

Looking less rosy for Djokovic by the hour. Now it seems he declared false information in his immigration paperwork (an "admin error by his team" apparently), has issued statements to "clarify" his public engagements which is in direct conflict with what he's provided to the Federal Court here as evidence - under legal affidavit - and Der Speigel in Germany reckons his actual test results from Serbian Health Department are possibly faked due to some oddness in the date stamps and number sequencing of them.

I assume the only reason our clusterf**k of a government haven't chucked him out already is they're probably suggesting to his team he may want to consider faking an injury and withdrawing "of his own accord" and leaving. That way he may - just may - get to come back next year. If he's turfed out now officially he's barred for 3 years automatically, which at his age will likely mean an end to his chances of ever winning here again.

Potentially barred for 3 years. Even the Serbs turning against him.

In hindsight, maybe having the vaccinations would have been a good idea 😂 What an idiot.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • It's potentially good for Serbia, though, as it may encourage them to get vaccinated as the current uptake is so low - finally seeing the impact of not getting vaccinated.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,748
    Going forwards there are questions about major sporting events being held in countries requiring vaccination.

What happens if say a world cup qualifier takes place and half the away team aren't vaccinated?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect

Going forwards there are questions about major sporting events being held in countries requiring vaccination.

What happens if say a world cup qualifier takes place and half the away team aren't vaccinated?

Tough titty, hopefully. There are a lot of idiot footballers not vaccinated and football being football the senior figures in the game have danced around the issue far too much.

It will be beautify to hear managers complaining about team selection because some young primadonna has decided not to get vaccinated.

• TheBigBean
    As I said in the Covid thread, I can't get too excited about someone not being vaccinated.
  • As long as they are out of the country before they need health care or have to have massive insurance, same.
  • First.Aspect

As I said in the Covid thread, I can't get too excited about someone not being vaccinated.

Perhaps from some perspectives, but this would be more about the role model aspect of being super rich high profile and a hero to half a population.

Covid is spreading west to east at the moment. You will start to see some startling numbers from Eastern Europe pretty soon, exacerbated by low vaccine take up (other than Hungary, I think). They have less robust health systems and they will get more hospitalisations and deaths from this wave.

That's the collateral damage. But don't get too excited about it BB.
  • TheBigBean

Perhaps from some perspectives, but this would be more about the role model aspect of being super rich high profile and a hero to half a population.

Covid is spreading west to east at the moment. You will start to see some startling numbers from Eastern Europe pretty soon, exacerbated by low vaccine take up (other than Hungary, I think). They have less robust health systems and they will get more hospitalisations and deaths from this wave.

That's the collateral damage. But don't get too excited about it BB.
    I don't think someone high profile should be encouraging others not to be vaccinated, but the discussion above was about whether every footballer has been vaccinated. If they have quietly chosen not to be vaccinated, I can't get too excited about it.
  • I'm not sure why stopping you visiting Australia will be more persuasive than not getting seriously ill.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

The next WC is in Qatar, can't say I'm that fussed. I mean, no one here will be tuning in to watch right? We all have our moral compasses pointing correctly?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney
    Ben6899 said:

The next WC is in Qatar, can't say I'm that fussed. I mean, no one here will be tuning in to watch right? We all have our moral compasses pointing correctly?
    I am quite happy to give it a miss.
    It would have to be a mass boycott though. Doubt they'd miss me.
    Veronese68 wrote: