Tennis G.O.A.T?

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    pblakeney said:

Ben6899 said:

Going forwards there are questions about major sporting events being held in countries requiring vaccination.

What happens if say a world cup qualifier takes place and half the away team aren't vaccinated?

The next WC is in Qatar, can't say I'm that fussed. I mean, no one here will be tuning in to watch right? We all have our moral compasses pointing correctly?
    I am quite happy to give it a miss.
    It would have to be a mass boycott though. Doubt they'd miss me.

Quite. But I'd be a hypocrite, if I sat down to watch any of the matches.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,115

I'm not sure why stopping you visiting Australia will be more persuasive than not getting seriously ill.

I think there's the pervasive "It won't get me" (as with smoking and lung cancer used to be). 51-year-old healthy friend-of-a-friend made it into the Daily Mail for dying from covid: unvaccinated, had a fear of needles. Widow using the opportunity to tell people to get vaccinated. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10388747/Computer-games-developer-dies-Covid-aged-51-fear-needles-meant-did-not-jab.html
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,748

Going forwards there are questions about major sporting events being held in countries requiring vaccination.

What happens if say a world cup qualifier takes place and half the away team aren't vaccinated?

Tough titty, hopefully. There are a lot of idiot footballers not vaccinated and football being football the senior figures in the game have danced around the issue far too much.

It will be beautify to hear managers complaining about team selection because some young primadonna has decided not to get vaccinated.

If it were down to me Australia etc would have to relax their requirements or forfeit the right to stage international competition.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,925
    Yeah. What the world needs during a pandemic is unchecked international travel.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,905

FIFA should set an example and make it a rule that if that happens and they can't play the match it gets forfeited (I may be wrong but I think there are already rules in place for forfeited matches).
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,572

Tough titty, hopefully. There are a lot of idiot footballers not vaccinated and football being football the senior figures in the game have danced around the issue far too much.

It will be beautify to hear managers complaining about team selection because some young primadonna has decided not to get vaccinated.

If it were down to me Australia etc would have to relax their requirements or forfeit the right to stage international competition.

Seriously?

There were plenty of ways available to Djokovic - in this case - to apply for entry to Australia and compete in this tournament. Come through and spend a short while in quarantine period for example.

Instead, he appears to have chosen to (a) lie (b) possibly corruptly had his “health” records altered to suit his lies and (c) blamed others when it appears to be going t!ts up.

Has it escaped your notice that hundreds of other similarly overpaid sports heroes, their entourages, and thousands of fans have managed to turn up for this tournament, by meeting the (temporary) requirements without any drama?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross
    seanoconn said:

Looking less rosy for Djokovic by the hour. Now it seems he declared false information in his immigration paperwork (an "admin error by his team" apparently), has issued statements to "clarify" his public engagements which is in direct conflict with what he's provided to the Federal Court here as evidence - under legal affidavit - and Der Speigel in Germany reckons his actual test results from Serbian Health Department are possibly faked due to some oddness in the date stamps and number sequencing of them.

I assume the only reason our clusterf**k of a government haven't chucked him out already is they're probably suggesting to his team he may want to consider faking an injury and withdrawing "of his own accord" and leaving. That way he may - just may - get to come back next year. If he's turfed out now officially he's barred for 3 years automatically, which at his age will likely mean an end to his chances of ever winning here again.

Potentially barred for 3 years. Even the Serbs turning against him.

In hindsight, maybe having the vaccinations would have been a good idea 😂 What an idiot.
    I thought the Serbian minister I just heard on the radio was taking a harsher response than I'd expected regarding Djokovic breaking their rules but then he have the get out that maybe he hadn't received the results of the test when he broke their isolation rules.
  • Wheelspinner
    Pross said:

seanoconn said:

Looking less rosy for Djokovic by the hour. Now it seems he declared false information in his immigration paperwork (an "admin error by his team" apparently), has issued statements to "clarify" his public engagements which is in direct conflict with what he's provided to the Federal Court here as evidence - under legal affidavit - and Der Speigel in Germany reckons his actual test results from Serbian Health Department are possibly faked due to some oddness in the date stamps and number sequencing of them.

I assume the only reason our clusterf**k of a government haven't chucked him out already is they're probably suggesting to his team he may want to consider faking an injury and withdrawing "of his own accord" and leaving. That way he may - just may - get to come back next year. If he's turfed out now officially he's barred for 3 years automatically, which at his age will likely mean an end to his chances of ever winning here again.

Potentially barred for 3 years. Even the Serbs turning against him.

In hindsight, maybe having the vaccinations would have been a good idea 😂 What an idiot.
    I thought the Serbian minister I just heard on the radio was taking a harsher response than I'd expected regarding Djokovic breaking their rules but then he have the get out that maybe he hadn't received the results of the test when he broke their isolation rules.
    This is one of the reasons he’s possibly in deep sh!t here now. His official affidavit to the Federal Court in his application to have his visa reinstated was that he was “tested and diagnosed as positive” on Dec 16.

So either he lied to the courts here, or he was knowingly breaking Serb laws around isolation if positive. Even claiming he didn’t have the result yet (still contrary to his legal claim here) doesn’t change the isolation requirement.

Pick one, eh?
  • DeVlaeminck

Seriously?

There were plenty of ways available to Djokovic - in this case - to apply for entry to Australia and compete in this tournament. Come through and spend a short while in quarantine period for example.

Instead, he appears to have chosen to (a) lie (b) possibly corruptly had his “health” records altered to suit his lies and (c) blamed others when it appears to be going t!ts up.

Has it escaped your notice that hundreds of other similarly overpaid sports heroes, their entourages, and thousands of fans have managed to turn up for this tournament, by meeting the (temporary) requirements without any drama?

I'm not talking about Djokovic as that's the Australian Open - do what you want with that and people can make their choice. Whether Djokovic has falsified stuff is irrelevant to the point.

That's different to say a world cup qualifier where you may be asking an opposition to play without a significant portion of their first choice team.
  • DeVlaeminck
    pblakeney said:

You really can't think of a way round a footballer bringing Covid into a country without them being vaccinated ?

I mean come on - being double jabbed doesn't even stop you getting omicron - even triple is limited protection for a relatively short time.

• Ben6899

Seriously?

I'm not talking about Djokovic as that's the Australian Open - do what you want with that and people can make their choice. Whether Djokovic has falsified stuff is irrelevant to the point.

That's different to say a world cup qualifier where you may be asking an opposition to play without a significant portion of their first choice team.

This really isn't that important.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2022

pblakeney said:

You really can't think of a way round a footballer bringing Covid into a country without them being vaccinated ?

I mean come on - being double jabbed doesn't even stop you getting omicron - even triple is limited protection for a relatively short time.

I can easily do with football matches being cancelled.
    There has been quite a few in the past couple of months in case you haven't noticed.
    Including some forfeits.

...and I believe the modern summary is, meh.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Wheelspinner

Seriously?

How's the weather under the rock in that bubble? :smiley:

You really aren't paying attention.

ANYBODY - sports people included - can travel to Australia, assuming they have a visa. The only tricky bit is if you are not vaccinated, then on arrival you still need to spend two weeks (I think) in quarantine before doing your thing.

Even Australian citizens returning from abroad who are unvaccinated have to do that I think.

Just to be completely clear the visa that Djokovic and all the other sports people apply for is a "Short Term Working Visa - Sub-category: Professional Sport". They are here to work, earn (sh!tloads of) money. That's it. So, the rules he wants to bend for his personal benefit are the exact same ones that apply to any working professional coming here.

Remind me why unvaccinated sports heroes should be exempt?

Djokovic's honesty is also very much the point, or are sports stars exempt from that requirement as well?
  • Pross

pblakeney said:

It should be up to the country involved to set the rules for entry, that should trump whatever a sporting competition requires. The sports governing body then needs to set rules to allow that e.g. they could say any country that doesn't allow another team to enter will have to play the match away / in a neutral country where it can be held.

The likes of Aus and NZ have put in place stringent measures throughout that will have had a massive impact on their own residents so you can understand those residents getting upset if the rules are then seen to be bent to allow certain sportspeople or celebrities into the country.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Ben6899 said:

Seriously?

In which case it really wouldn't be that important if Australia (for example) forfeited ?

• DeVlaeminck
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

There has been quite a few in the past couple of months in case you haven't noticed.
    Including some forfeits.

Just give them a PCR
    test and if negative let them in. That deals with the "bringing Covid into the country" argument.

The vaccination is barely about preventing transmission now - even the booster appears to give very time limited protection - unless we are going to get boosters every 3 months it's about protecting yourself.
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

Seriously?

In which case it really wouldn't be that important if Australia (for example) forfeited ?

I genuinely don't care.

Ben

• DeVlaeminck
    Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Seriously?

I genuinely don't care.

Why comment then ?

Some of these govts just want to look tough on Covid - when you can test people coming in there's no reason not to make provision for international events. When it comes to sport so few will be classed as vulnerable anyway it is just posturing by an overly authoritarian govt.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Including some forfeits.

Just give them a PCR
    test and if negative let them in. That deals with the "bringing Covid into the country" argument.

The vaccination is barely about preventing transmission now - even the booster appears to give very time limited protection - unless we are going to get boosters every 3 months it's about protecting yourself.
    Yeah, we get it, you are anti-vax. Anyone can go anywhere subject to the host country rules. That may mean an extended visit even for prima donnas but hey ho.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Seriously?

I genuinely don't care.

Why comment then ?

Some of these govts just want to look tough on Covid - when you can test people coming in there's no reason not to make provision for international events. When it comes to sport so few will be classed as vulnerable anyway it is just posturing by an overly authoritarian govt.

Without others commenting it would just be your blog.
    Ben

• DeVlaeminck
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Including some forfeits.

Just give them a PCR

Yeah, we get it, you are anti-vax. Anyone can go anywhere subject to the host country rules. That may mean an extended visit even for prima donnas but hey ho.
    Don't throw a strop I've had 3 vaccinations so hardly anti vax

I just don't see any point in punishing people who choose not to be vaccinated to appear tough on Covid.

If Australia's concern is people bringing in Covid there's a very obvious and cheap way to prevent that - a test before or on arrival.

• DeVlaeminck
    Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Seriously?

I genuinely don't care.

Why comment then ?

That is a statement of fact but not one that follows logically from any previous post on this thread.

• pblakeney

If Australia's concern is people bringing in Covid there's a very obvious and cheap way to prevent that - a test before or on arrival.

Which they do, followed by quarantine. Some try to get round the inconvenience. Some footballers from South America tried (and failed) to beat the system coming back to Europe. Some just think they are too important. They are wrong.

Tests are not conclusive. Our son had tests before departure and on arrival, both were negative. He caught covid in transit.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Seriously?

I genuinely don't care.

Why comment then ?

That is a statement of fact but not one that follows logically from any previous post on this thread.

See the bold highlight.
    Ben

• DeVlaeminck
    pblakeney said:

Which they do, followed by quarantine. Some try to get round the inconvenience. Some footballers from South America tried (and failed) to beat the system coming back to Europe. Some just think they are too important. They are wrong.

Tests are not conclusive. Our son had tests before departure and on arrival, both were negative. He caught covid in transit.
    There have been well over a million cases of Covid in Australia. I'm pretty sure that with a proper testing protocol international sport would offer a tiny risk of adding to those numbers.

It's their right to be inflexible but they shouldn't expect international sport to accommodate them. The bottom line is a lot of athletes around the world are not vaccinated - that could be worked round at no real risk to anyone - so why no just do that?

We know that 2 vaccines barely affect the chances of catching and passing on Covid anyway so why is this a sticking point?
    Is it to make life difficult for the unvaccinated - some kind of punishment?

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,694

pblakeney said:

There have been well over a million cases of Covid in Australia. I'm pretty sure that with a proper testing protocol international sport would offer a tiny risk of adding to those numbers.

It's their right to be inflexible but they shouldn't expect international sport to accommodate them. The bottom line is a lot of athletes around the world are not vaccinated - that could be worked round at no real risk to anyone - so why no just do that?

We know that 2 vaccines barely affect the chances of catching and passing on Covid anyway so why is this a sticking point?

Same reason that we are so exercised by rooftop BYOB parties?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

So, how come all the other entrants to the Open are there?
    The issue is not with the athletes, it is with stubborn self centred athletes.
    Get a vaccine, or go into quarantine, or don't go.
    Choices, actions, consequences. Deal with it.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,752
    Remember the times when non-sportsmoneyballers could travel around the world freely, and some countries would require proof of vaccination for e.g. yellow fever, and people would just do it, get vaccinated as required? Rather than doing a stampy footy, me me me, wah wah wah tantrum?

Still, would be interesting to see the results published of a blood sample from no sweat Novax D.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,736
    orraloon said:

Remember the times when non-sportsmoneyballers could travel around the world freely, and some countries would require proof of vaccination for e.g. yellow fever, and people would just do it, get vaccinated as required? Rather than doing a stampy footy, me me me, wah wah wah tantrum?

Still, would be interesting to see the results published of a blood sample from no sweat Novax D.

Yellow fever is the only vaccination you ever previously needed to show and you don't need to show it in many places, so I doubt it would have been required for most sportsmen.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,472
    Looks like Novax is on his way home… :D

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.