Tennis G.O.A.T?

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    edited July 2023

Djokovic couldn’t escape that island. I must admit knowing his track record I thought he would.

Great to see a new generation get some hardware. A couple at that.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,601
    edited July 2023
    What a match, watched every single point, including the nye on 30 minute game.

Must be honest, when Djok took the 4th, I feared his momentum would carry him through.

Interesting re the us open cramps (which I was unware of prior to this thread) Alcaraz had, presumably his team must have done a load of work fuelling wise to ensure it did not re-occur.

That must be one of the very best finals I've ever seen, the quality of play was outstanding and in the main upheld throughout the majority of the games.
    imo neither players heads or game dropped notably, it was their competitor stepping things up that shifted the scoreline in their favour.

I'm used to seeing the likes of Fed/Djok/Nadal look a 'bit' tired/sweaty in the 5th set or earlier, but saw no sign from either player, maybe due to temps not being what they could be in July, and the fact the roof was open and it was breezy.

Alcaraz is definitely the real deal, just hope he can stay injury free.
    I do wish he came to the net more, that seemed to yield a lot of success.

I also thought he might stutter at the point where he had to serve it out, but not a bit of it, seems to have nerves of steel.

Slightly surprised to hear the bbc pundits saying that every single ex pro they had asked had backed Djok to win.

Having spent some 4:45 watching the final, I stick to my belief that for the majority of matches, highlights would simply not work, you have to watch the entire thing to understand the ebb and flow of the game.
    If you can't watch a game in full, I think you're better to just look up the result.

Cycling, football and motor racing I would put in the 'highlights can be meaningful' category.

EDIT: Just to add, I don't see this as a 'changing of the guard' personally.
    Djok is as good as ever, and appears to be fit and healthy - if he has the drive and desire, I can see him playing on for another 3-4 years, and will be winning more grand slams for sure.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,569
    This result pleases me greatly.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,792
    edited July 2023

Djokovic couldn’t escape that island. I must admit knowing his track record I thought he would.

Pretty sure that's a $90k watch he's got on there. Lad is doing alright. Fairly sure it's a rare Daytona with a fancy dial.
  • Wheelspinner
    Nearly 8 million USD this year in prize money alone, and it's a long way from over yet. Probably many multiples of that in sponsorship and appearance fees on top.

But in any case, he's sponsored by Rolex.

Clearly a (young) man of talent, but perhaps not so much taste... lol.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,842

Pretty sure that's a $90k watch he's got on there. Lad is doing alright. Fairly sure it's a rare Daytona with a fancy dial.
    Top male tennis pros doing well financially is hardly a new thing.
    Same goes for golf. Those on the American circuit are millionaires without even winning.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Nearly 8 million USD this year in prize money alone, and it's a long way from over yet. Probably many multiples of that in sponsorship and appearance fees on top.

I think some of those yellow gold daytonas (that one included) are really great looking.

Different in this case given it's a discontinued model, but it wouldn't come as a great surprise if Rolex didn't give the winner a watch specifically for the trophy photos.
  • rick_chasey
    Djokovic wears a Hublot, naturally. (The make everyone loves to hate).
  • focuszing723
    Nadals watch is worth a million dollars (probably got more too). Personally, in my advance superior opinion watches are about as useful as t1ts on a fish. I will expand, just look at your fookin phone everyone carries one.

Now smartwatches I get a bit they can do crazy magical stuff.

Have I mentioned Humanity is wangered and AI will take over?
  • rick_chasey
    It's just jewellery. It's all it is.
  • focuszing723
    Exactly
  • Wheelspinner

I think some of those yellow gold daytonas (that one included) are really great looking.

Different in this case given it's a discontinued model, but it wouldn't come as a great surprise if Rolex didn't give the winner a watch specifically for the trophy photos.
    Rolex haven't had a new design idea in probably 50 years. Everything they make is just different lipstick on the same old pig.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

It's just jewellery. It's all it is.

Actually, jewellery that's objectively worse at its stated job than a quartz watch worth £20.
  • rick_chasey
    lol soz will stop turning this into a watches thread > it was just so obvious on the photo.
  • focuszing723
    Yep, people with swanky watches are always late.
  • focuszing723
    "Look at my swanky watch?"

"I don't care, you're bloody late again mate."
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I'd love to afford to justify a Daytona, but since taking up running and buying a Garmin watch, I just know I'd never wear it.

(I actually want an AP ROO Jumbo - but that's many orders of magnitude more expensive)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,658
    What is more shocking, that the no 1 male tennis player in the world earns $8m in prize money a year, or that no. 130 ranked player can barely make ends meet?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,842

What is more shocking, that the no 1 male tennis player in the world earns $8m in prize money a year, or that no. 130 ranked player can barely make ends meet?

The same question could be asked of cycling, or most other sports.
    Or life in general. It's an injustice it is.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,658
    pblakeney said:

The same question could be asked of cycling, or most other sports.
    Or life in general. It's an injustice it is.
    It seems more acute in some sports than others. Particularly individual sports thst aren't golf.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,441
    The GOAT still going after another dominant win. 2 clear of Nadal and looking like 3/4 more not out of the question. Like him or loathe him, Djokovic is the man. His hang up the phone celebration on Shelton in the semi was cold.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Lifted his head early.
  • seanoconn
    Coaches will be queuing to work with the Raducanu family.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/67166854
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,645
    She's got all the hallmarks of a one hit wonder, that she got that one hit feels a bit of a miracle to be honest.
  • focuszing723
    It's going to require a switch in mindset, forget the fake external $h1t that comes with a major win in the game (I bet the multi million pound endorsement s didn't help).
    When it comes to crunch time, she's done it so can do it again. That has to be big mentally.

In my advanced superior opinion Lendl would be a good coach for her. No messin get down to fookin buisness and get that gold diamond racket!
  • seanoconn said:

Coaches will be queuing to work with the Raducanu family.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/67166854

She's maybe got a point. In my experience of the swimming world, coaches do not like being asked questions. They say it's because it's disrespectful to them, but in reality, it's usually because they can't back up what they're saying. And the situation is worse with males coaches and intelligent females.

That said, the nature of the coach-coachee "game" is that you play by the rules or you don't play at all. She may have so much money already that she doesn't want to have to listen to palpable nonsense and smile sweetly at it several times a day just for the chance of more success on court.
  • I bet the multi million pound endorsements didn't help.

Maybe not with the focus on tennis!