Tennis G.O.A.T?

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,472
    It's all become too academic now re the rankings and grand slams one. There are no real likeable characters in the game now. A bit like F1 drivers. There were some great, charismatic drivers that had personality and did great PR for the sport. Now it's just the kids of rich dad's that own teams. The are singularly unlikebale for the most part.
    Tennis players are similar -
    • Novax - Dead-eyed shark and total knob
    • Federer - Too smug for his own good.
    • Nadal - slightly likeable but mostly because he's the least worst to like
    • Nick Kyrgios - petulant child with tantrums (worse then McEnroe)
    All excellent players and fantastically skilled but when i watch them battle it out I'd rather anyone else but them win. I just can't warm to them

Compare them to the 90's players by the likes of Andre Agassi, Goran Ivanisevic, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Boris Becker, and Stefan Edberg etc. They had class and style and grit and determination.

I'll still watch Wimbledon but I'll most likely be doing something else at the time instead of being engrosed in a match.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited June 2023
    For me it's Nadal's hunger to win every single point, and never give up attitude that I really like - as well as his style of play, the incredible spin he puts on the ball, iirc, a good real more rpm than anyone else.

When Nadal first appeared on the scene I was an Agassi supporter, and did definitely not warm to him for the first few years, I probably came around to being a genuine fan of him and his playing style somewhere about 2007.

Similarly it took me several years to warm to Federer, and although I wasn't an avid 'fan' per se, I certainly respected and admired his demeanour and style of play.
    99% certainty when watching a match with him you were going to see some sublime shots.

Djok I didn't overly have an opinion of, but I do recall his multiple ball bounces on certain points to be quite an irritation, and also his response to a press question when he was ranked 3, and murray 4 (And up and coming) as to who had the better chance, and his answer (I'll paraphrase) was an angry 'well who is ranked higher'
    I have never warmed to him or his style of play, and I know he says all of the right things at the end of matches and in interviews - with the exception of the above one early in his career.

I take some of your comments about players of the past, definitely Agassi, Becker, Edberg.

I've never thought of Kafelnikov or Ivanisevic of having an attractive playing style OR showing that much personality on the court, but I guess we all take away different memories, and or like specific playing styles.

Slightly randomly I did manage to see Kafelinkov play on No1 court back in the mists of time.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,747
    If we are talking best at their peak Borg has to be in the conversation.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,920

G.O.A.T. Greatest of all time.
    Consistency and longevity is key. I’d agree otherwise but Borg was too short a period.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884
    Can’t see this thread without an image like this in my head
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,627

Back in the day my Dad saw Borg in the street in London. Knowing that at the time I was an avid autograph collector, my Dad ran into the nearest shop, bought a notebook and pen and ran after Borg to get the great man's autograph.

Upon having the notebook and pen thrust towards him, Borg smiled and shook his head, and pulled out his own pen... which wrote with silver ink. What a cool fcuker.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    mrb123 said:

Back in the day my Dad saw Borg in the street in London. Knowing that at the time I was an avid autograph collector, my Dad ran into the nearest shop, bought a notebook and pen and ran after Borg to get the great man's autograph.

Upon having the notebook and pen thrust towards him, Borg smiled and shook his head, and pulled out his own pen... which wrote with silver ink. What a cool fcuker.

Surely that's illogical? His existence created the Borg and those AI mind tapped Humans aren't cool, are they?

Ask Captain Kirk.
  • pblakeney said:

Consistency and longevity is key. I’d agree otherwise but Borg was too short a period.
    Surely longevity needs adjusting for advances in medical science that prolong careers now. Not that Borg retired due to injury, but Nadal would have likely fallen apart in the 70s and 80s.

But it's hard to fault Borg's consistency - 5 consecutive Wimbledons and 6 French opens in 8 years. The obvious blot on his copybook is the failure to win the US open.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Surely longevity needs adjusting for advances in medical science that prolong careers now. Not that Borg retired due to injury, but Nadal would have likely fallen apart in the 70s and 80s.

But it's hard to fault Borg's consistency - 5 consecutive Wimbledons and 6 French opens in 8 years. The obvious blot on his copybook is the failure to win the US open.
    Flip side of that point is the amount of strenuous effort being made today.
    Extreme example, watch Fred Perry winning Wimbledon. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Flip side of that point is the amount of strenuous effort being made today.
    Extreme example, watch Fred Perry winning Wimbledon. 🤣
    Fair point!

I’m just glad I saw Borg at his best, even if only on telly.

• Pross
    It’s like the good old days in the 80, when I used to watch tennis much more avidly, having no British representation in the second week.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    Elena Rybakina was seeing the ball like that stupid sport where you have to use your subservient feet. Blimey she was in the zone.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,460
    The GOAT breaks the record for consecutive grand slam tie breaks won in a single year, 13. Serious mental strength.

Alcaraz shaping up nicely on grass but not on Djokovic’s level.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    He's still an arse though.
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

He's still an censored though.

Being likeable not a prerequisite for GOAT status but would help win over those who can’t separate the two.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,571
    seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Being likeable not a prerequisite for GOAT status but would help win over those who can’t separate the two.
    In the history of me watching tennis (and it's a long time) he's the *only* player I've ever actively wished gets beaten every time he steps on the court. Don't care who he plays.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

In the history of me watching tennis (and it's a long time) he's the *only* player I've ever actively wished gets beaten every time he steps on the court. Don't care who he plays.

All the disappointment you must suffer 😂
  • Wheelspinner
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

All the disappointment you must suffer 😂
    I appreciate the results and all that. I just don't enjoy watching him play. At. All.

• daniel_b
    edited July 2023
    I don't think Djok is in peak form personally, for me Alcaraz could well have the edge.

When are they due to meet - semi finals?

EDIT: I see it could be the final.
    Liking the Eubanks chap as well.

Shame Nick K is not at the tournament, not saying I like him, or his style of play, but he always generates some interest in the game, though some would argue he detracts from it :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Djok currently down a set.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    edited July 2023
    daniel_b said:

I don't think Djok is in peak form personally, for me Alcaraz could well have the edge.

Shame Nick K is not at the tournament, not saying I like him, or his style of play, but he always generates some interest in the game, though some would argue he detracts from it :D

Eubanks seems a bit of an entertainer. I’d get excited if he were younger but he’s 27 and I’ve never heard of him before. Just a one off 🤷‍♂️
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

Considering Alcaraz suffered terrible cramps due to the pressure of playing Novak (Alcaraz’s words) in the French semi’s, the odds would be against him in a final.

Djokovic has to get there first, currently a set down to Steady Rublev.
  • daniel_b
    Sadly now he is virtually 2-1 up in sets.

I had not realised Alcaraz had cramp issues - not a good sign.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Rublev fighting like a man posessed, but even if he takes this set, much like the first one, I think it takes so much out of them, they simply can't maintain that level for the following set.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    Awesome men’s final in prospect tomorrow. Alcaraz is the real deal but is he ready to end Djokovic’s dominance?

Anyone one watching the women’s final? Ashamed to say I probably haven’t watched a ladies match since Raducanu won the US open.
  • Wheelspinner
    seanoconn said:

Awesome men’s final in prospect tomorrow. Alcaraz is the real deal but is he ready to end Djokovic’s dominance?

Anyone one watching the women’s final? Ashamed to say I probably haven’t watched a ladies match since Raducanu won the US open.

I watched Barty win Wimbledon and then the Oz Open last year, and that's it.
  • daniel_b
    Caught some of the women's final, seemed to be a good match.

High hopes for tomorrow, I think Djok will come out 2nd best, that's both head and heart.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    Just a reminder that the 5th set is in play.
    18:33.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    daniel_b said:

High hopes for tomorrow, I think Djok will come out 2nd best, that's both head and heart.

Good call, and well played Alcaraz!
    The boy is the real deal. Some sublime play.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

You called it daniel 👍