Tennis G.O.A.T?

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    Such a bloody fighter Nadal akin to NoVax.
  • focuszing723
    How come all the Tennis fans have gone AWOL?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884
    That point at 6-3 in the tie break was as good as you'll see.
  • focuszing723
    Amazing, what another fight back.

Great semi finals to watch now.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,935
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

It's probably time for Nadal to embrace his baldness and get his head shaved.

Worked for Andre Agassi.
    Hair is remarkably good at soaking up sweat
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,460
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Worked for Andre Agassi.
    Reluctantly. He wore his long hair with a hat for ages, hiding his hair loss. Bit of an issue for him at the time.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn

Forced out with the family so managed to miss all the tennis 😕
  • focuszing723
    seanoconn said:

Forced out with the family so managed to miss all the tennis 😕
    Christ!

Sorry Sean, you will have to get your priorities right for the semi's and final.
  • seanoconn
    Hopefully Nadal’s injury isn’t too serious.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,920
    edited July 2022
    Pross said:

Worked for Andre Agassi.
    seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Worked for Andre Agassi.
    Reluctantly. He wore his long hair with a hat for ages, hiding his hair loss. Bit of an issue for him at the time.
    Yeah, but he went 100% all in once he faced up to the reality of the situation.
    Nadal has been there for a while but is kidding himself.

For those too young to remember...

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2022
    seanoconn said:

Yeah, he seemed to be moving and hitting the ball pretty well toward the end. Hopefully it will loosen up again when he plays Friday.

I don't think he's the type of bloke/player to make things up.
  • focuszing723
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Worked for Andre Agassi.
    seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Worked for Andre Agassi.
    Yeah, but he went 100% all in once he faced up to the reality of the situation.
    Nadal has been there for a while but is kidding himself.

For those too young to remember...

Married to Steffi Graf, before people ask:

They have two children: son Jaden Gil (born 2001) and daughter Jaz Elle (born 2003). Agassi has said that he and Graf are not pushing their children toward becoming tennis players.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,627
    Did they get together before or after the hair came off?
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Yeah, he seemed to be moving and hitting the ball pretty well toward the end. Hopefully it will loosen up again when he plays Friday.

It’s a miracle he’s still playing, let alone be on course for a Callander Grand Slam.
  • focuszing723
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

It’s a miracle he’s still playing, let alone be on course for a Callander Grand Slam.
    Yep, it's bloody staggering. Long games, twisting turning it can't be easy on the joints long term. I guess NoVax still has to be favourite given he's more suited to grass.

That Nadal/Kyrios match should be epic. Like you said, lets hope he's alright.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Injured his abs in today's match and his dad was trying to persuade him to retire from the match.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,920
    edited July 2022
    mrb123 said:

Did they get together before or after the hair came off?

Before. Allegedly their first meeting was at the Wimbledon Ball 1992. Not a date but both looking forward to it as they knew they'd be dancing together as winners. As the story goes. Hair came off in 1995 which surprised me as I thought it was earlier.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,360
    Agassi's book is amazing.

He was constantly worried his wig would come off.
  • seanoconn

Excellent read. His dad would force him to hit a 1000 balls a day as a child. Could have been more, I can’t remember and he hated tennis. Probably the best sports autobiography I’ve read.
  • rick_chasey
    seanoconn said:

Excellent read. His dad would force him to hit a 1000 balls a day as a child. Could have been more, I can’t remember and he hated tennis. Probably the best sports autobiography I’ve read.
    Bit of a theme with these child prodigies. Hamilton, Verstappen, Woods, etc

Is especially bad in tennis tbf
  • focuszing723
    Williams Sister. Sound like they got on though, he just pushed them as a way out.

It's must be a tricky one, because that's why they've made it too.
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

Bit of a theme with these child prodigies. Hamilton, Verstappen, Woods, etc

Is especially bad in tennis tbf
    Two types of parents behind sports stars. Those that facilitate their child’s obsession and those that force their own obsession on their child.

I’d have settled for either 😕
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2022
    I dunno. Some of the stories border on child abuse. The Hamilton one about how his dad made him brake later than the existing UK champ is heartbreaking.

Same with Jos leaving Max behind to teach him a lesson.
  • focuszing723
    They still get on though and Hamilton can now wear what crazy sh1t he wants.
  • rick_chasey
    At what cost? And for every success there are hundreds of failures who went that for what?
  • seanoconn
    Didn’t know that about Hamilton. Assumed his dad just worked hard to fund his son and wasn’t involved in the coaching side of things.
  • seanoconn
    Womens semis should be exciting.

Whatshername
    V
    Thingy

Halep
    V
    ?

Can’t wait! 🤩
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2022
    seanoconn said:

Didn’t know that about Hamilton. Assumed his dad just worked hard to fund his son and wasn’t involved in the coaching side of things.

There's a story where the dad sees where the UK champ brakes for a slow corner.

He then stands 2-3m further down the road and tells Lewis to go round and brake there. At the end of the corner is basically a pond.

First few times Lewis goes straight into the pond. Soaking wet. Dad just says "go do it again" and makes him do it over and over and over till he makes the corner.

Lewis attributes that "training" to his ability to brake later than everyone else.

The way Lewis tells the story, when the Dad says "do it again" it's pretty brutal.

edit: found it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOtvpi1aM-I
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Saw sets 2-4 of the Nadal game live yesterday, was convinced he was going to abandon at one point.

Saw him square things at 2-2, then had to leave.

Avoided the result, and watched the 5th set on iplayer whilst on the turbo this morning.

Utterly nuts display, he never fails to amaze me - the desire to win, or the stubbornness not to lose, however you want to put it, I find really awe inspiring.

How much further he will go though, I really don't know, if that injury hinders him again in either of the next 1 or 2 matches, I can see it being a deal breaker.

I have not yet seen Nick K play, so have no idea what he is like, apart from a bit odd, but he's made it to the semi finals, so he must have some weapons.

And of course assuming Djok makes it through, I'm not convinced a not 100% fit Nadal will be able to beat him, much as I would want him to - and badly.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

Saw sets 2-4 of the Nadal game live yesterday, was convinced he was going to abandon at one point.

Saw him square things at 2-2, then had to leave.

Avoided the result, and watched the 5th set on iplayer whilst on the turbo this morning.

Utterly nuts display, he never fails to amaze me - the desire to win, or the stubbornness not to lose, however you want to put it, I find really awe inspiring.

How much further he will go though, I really don't know, if that injury hinders him again in either of the next 1 or 2 matches, I can see it being a deal breaker.

I have not yet seen Nick K play, so have no idea what he is like, apart from a bit odd, but he's made it to the semi finals, so he must have some weapons.

And of course assuming Djok makes it through, I'm not convinced a not 100% fit Nadal will be able to beat him, much as I would want him to - and badly.

Nadal withdraws 😢😥