joe biden

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

david37 said:

swjohnsey said:

I can see why y'all like Biden. As a senator he teamed up the Byrd (KKK) to block busing for school desegregation. He supported banning gays in the military by supporting "Don't ask, don't tell and was against gay marriage by supporting the Defense of marriage act which defined marriage as one man and one woman.

I'm sure he's woke, now.

The wokarati have excellent coping mechanisms. They ignore that which is not in favour.
    Are the wokarati some kind of stir fry club?
    Sound a bit like an aftershave from the 70's if anyone is old enough to remember 'Hai Karate'. But I do like the term :)
    I remember the advert where the bloke has to fight em off.
    It's a cross some of us have to bear.
    There's always Lynx if you're getting desperate.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Or the Chinese knock off version available at a car boot sale near you - Stynx
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    In the Christmas party episode of dinner ladies where Jean grabs Tony and says “ Can you smell my Charlie”. ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602

Old Spice, the mark of a man.

I nicked my dad's bottle of Old Spice for my first holiday without family the year I finished school. It broke in my luggage on the way home. Everything in there stunk, I had a book in the bag that is still on the bookcase 30 odd years later and if I open it I still get the smell!
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Stevo_666 said:

Christ why do we suddenly have a flood of window lickers on the forum?

A surprising choice of phrase.
    Well quite, if any of us had used a term mocking the mentally handicapped there would have been outrage.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/window_licker

Another case of 'do as I say don't do as I do' ?
    This sort of thing must be OK if you are dutch and suffer the daily systematic racist abuse sorry xenophobia from your average Brit that Rick is so fond of telling us he gets all the time. Apologies in advance if I am confusing Rick with another bullshitter on this forum.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Jeez you all talk about wanting civilised debate but when someone offers up a mea cupla it just gets ignored so you can pile on.
  • Jeez you all talk about wanting civilised debate but when someone offers up a mea cupla it just gets ignored so you can pile on.

I thought it best to ignore it as it would only fan the flames.

But well done for holding your hands up.

I think this forum is an interesting debating platform with people bringing different areas of expertise that many of us would probably not be exposed to. It is probably my imagination but there seem to be more people who want to bicker and score points
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    Will the snowflakes please shut up and move on?

Now I will accept that window licker isn't great (I immediately thought of the movie Dumb and Dumber, but that's probably banned now) but I absolutely guarantee you that in the course of your adult life you will be caught out by changing terms and standards at least once, and need to retract something.

So how about just accept it and stop with the faux outrage?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806

Now I will accept that window licker isn't great (I immediately thought of the movie Dumb and Dumber, but that's probably banned now) but I absolutely guarantee you that in the course of your adult life you will be caught out by changing terms and standards at least once, and need to retract something.

The faux outrage is posted purely to score points.
    Is anyone keeping score? Does anyone care?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

In all seriousness, it's an agenda I've been trying to push professionally; often people, well meaning people, avoid topics around minorities entirely for fear of using the wrong language.

This is not constructive.

I believe in the power of language more than most, and I totally buy into the arguments around words and names used matter and are indicators of a certain mindset, but you are not going to get as many people on board as possible if you are too prescriptive on the matter.

To do that you need to make the conversation one where people park their judgements at the door and listen (!), not just to each other and the language but also the point of what is being conveyed.

Not really related to windowlickers - fwiw i've never heard it in the context of mental illness (too young I suspect) so i didn't get the context. Like I said I mainly associate it with the single and had assumed it was a term for thick morons, rather than something else. Obviously now I have worked that one out it wasn't appropriate (nor accurate)

• It's not your imagination.

That said I think ricks comment deserves all the stick it's getting and the aphex twin reference was thinner than Cummings Bernard castle excuse.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

In all seriousness, it's an agenda I've been trying to push professionally; often people, well meaning people, avoid topics around minorities entirely for fear of using the wrong language.

I believe in the power of language more than most, and I totally buy into the arguments around words and names used matter and are indicators of a certain mindset, but you are not going to get as many people on board as possible if you are too prescriptive on the matter.

To do that you need to make the conversation one where people park their judgements at the door and listen (!), not just to each other and the language but also the point of what is being conveyed.

Not really related to windowlickers - fwiw i've never heard it in the context of mental illness (too young I suspect) so i didn't get the context. Like I said I mainly associate it with the single and had assumed it was a term for thick morons, rather than something else. Obviously now I have worked that one out it wasn't appropriate (nor accurate)

Aren't you somewhere around my age? (early 30s). Windowlicker was definitely a non-PC playground insult when I was at school.

Like you though, I associate it with Aphex Twin first.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,644
    I don't think moron is acceptable either, but that is widely used on this site.
  • First.Aspect

I don't think moron is acceptable either, but that is widely used on this site.

This is absurd, I am sorry. Other than the recipient, who is offended by this, the British Association of The Hard of Thinking?

This type of grasping for new things to be PC about reminds me of banning "brain storming" because it is offensive to epileptics (true).

Seriously, have you considered a career in teaching or something like that. You would fit right in.
  • rick_chasey

Aren't you somewhere around my age? (early 30s). Windowlicker was definitely a non-PC playground insult when I was at school.

Yeah - genuinely didn't know the connection.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939

I've caught children using the term 'flid' without having a clue about its history. Suffice to say, telling them about where it came from soon makes them realise it's really not OK - and they are grateful to know.

• rick_chasey
    Anyway, good of bally et al to get in on the education - hadn't thought it was their bag but perhaps they're beginning to see the value in it all.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I've caught children using the term 'flid' without having a clue about its history. Suffice to say, telling them about where it came from soon makes them realise it's really not OK - and they are grateful to know.

Yep that was another awful playground insult that we used to use - and had no idea what it meant!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696

Yep that was another awful playground insult that we used to use - and had no idea what it meant!
    Kidz eh? What I have learned today: flid, window licker... Do carry on, educayshun is good for all innit. 😉
  • ...Princess nut nuts.
  • ballysmate

Anyway, good of bally et al to get in on the education - hadn't thought it was their bag but perhaps they're beginning to see the value in it all.

To be clear, I expressed surprise not outrage, faux nor real.
    For hypocrisy on here it takes some beating. And then there were people coming in to defend it.
    I'm sure the same people will give the likes of Coopster (and others) a bit of slack as they have been flagged for much less.
    Point scoring? Perhaps. But Rick is adept at labelling people who don't conform to his way of thinking as bigots, so am happy to help to point out where he fails to meet the standards he wishes to impose on others.
  • I thought this thread was about Joe Biden, not about who can p1ss into the wind the furthest.
  • rick_chasey
    Fair.

Biden will struggle re FP to pivot back to the Obama doctrine as the world has moved on. Rules based order no longer means US led.
  • ballysmate
    Bill Maher, who is nobody's idea of a conservative, on why the blue wave didn't happen even against a Trump backdrop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgrZAPUvKyA&ab_channel=RealTimewithBillMaher
  • Stevo_666

To be clear, I expressed surprise not outrage, faux nor real.
    For hypocrisy on here it takes some beating. And then there were people coming in to defend it.
    I'm sure the same people will give the likes of Coopster (and others) a bit of slack as they have been flagged for much less.
    Point scoring? Perhaps. But Rick is adept at labelling people who don't conform to his way of thinking as bigots, so am happy to help to point out where he fails to meet the standards he wishes to impose on others.
    Exactly.

People who hold themselves up as beacons of political correctness should not be surprised when they get hauled up for doing or saying the sort of things that they lecture others about.

It was also quite amusing watching people rushing to defend him :)

To be fair, Rick has admitted he was wrong. Let's see if he can keep that up ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Uh? You'll have to remind us who did that...
  • Stevo_666
    Here you go Brian.
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well quite, if any of us had used a term mocking the mentally handicapped there would have been outrage.

Seem to remember you and coop having a good laugh at a video of a mentally handicapped bloke overreacting to poor social distancing in a cafe.

He wasn't actually wearing a sign saying what condition he had so I guess you had a thin veneer of deniability.
  • First.Aspect

Stevo_666 said:

Uh? You'll have to remind us who did that...
    Not roundly condeming. Insufficient wringing of hands.

You are either with us or against us.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Here you go Brian.

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Seem to remember you and coop having a good laugh at a video of a mentally handicapped bloke overreacting to poor social distancing in a cafe.

He wasn't actually wearing a sign saying what condition he had so I guess you had a thin veneer of deniability.

You have a curious definition of 'people rushing to defend him'.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Here you go Brian.

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

You have a curious definition of 'people rushing to defend him'.
    Whatever - it was a side point anyway. The main point was what Rick said, but I notice you haven't commented on that.