joe biden

18910111214»

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    morstar said:

USA has baked inequality into the schooling system in a way the UK Tories have wet dreams about.

And healthcare.
  • briantrumpet
    edited February 2023
    I still find this graph astonishing

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    edited February 2023

pblakeney said:

christ alive, what was the american dream, guys?

A myth?
    nah, social mobility was a real thing then
    No, myth was the correct answer. The USA is a very unequal society but people have been brainwashed
    Well there's are lots of academic studies on the subject, so pick your graphs and let the battle commence.

A starter.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/09/social-mobility-upwards-decline-usa-us-america-economics/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Honestly, how is he going to top this term.

The economic numbers coming out are nothing short of sensational.

Growth strong, jobs being created by the truckload and inflation back down to 3%.

American economy is a miracle, it just won’t be beaten down.

Right call on Ukraine, spending 5% of the defence budget to go a long way to getting rid of one of the most long lasting and historical enemies.

Fair play.
  • briantrumpet

Honestly, how is he going to top this term.

The economic numbers coming out are nothing short of sensational.

Growth strong, jobs being created by the truckload and inflation back down to 3%.

American economy is a miracle, it just won’t be beaten down.

Right call on Ukraine, spending 5% of the defence budget to go a long way to getting rid of one of the most long lasting and historical enemies.

Fair play.

I don't know if he's just struck lucky, or genuinely made some genius calls. But his 50 years in US politics does seem to have given him some skill in getting stuff done within a system which seems predicated on hamstringing presidents.
  • President Joe Biden's son, Hunter, has been criminally charged with three counts of lying when buying a firearm, after a proposed plea deal collapsed.

The indictment marks the first time the child of a sitting president has been criminally prosecuted.

A planned plea bargain to resolve gun and tax-related charges he faced abruptly fell apart in July.

All three counts relate to Mr Biden allegedly lying on forms while buying a firearm when he was a drug user.

Court documents show that Mr Biden lied on the federally mandated forms as he purchased a Colt revolver at a Delaware gun store in October 2018. He kept the gun for 11 days.

If convicted, Mr Biden faces a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison, the justice department said in a statement. Actual sentences for federal crimes are usually less than the maximum possible penalties.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66815168
  • I guess that's hunter biden's political career over.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023
    If he retrains as a UPS driver he'll still be earning $170,000 (if you include a few benefits).

Still maintain that Biden, especially since he's got one foot in the grave, should make it a one and done term and spend the rest of his life touring America explaining how he tamed the lion of global inflation, made pretty much every American richer in real terms and crippled a long time foe in Russia with very little expenditure.

Only downhill from here. Both cognitively, physically, and politically.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited September 2023

Ummmm, he didn't tame inflation the FED raising interest rates from historic lows did.
  • When you're at historic lows there is only one direction of travel so it's impossible that they didn't go up
  • focuszing723
    edited September 2023

When you're at historic lows there is only one direction of travel so it's impossible that they didn't go up

Well noooo, if IRs were 5% they'd have still put them up to control inflation, because it's the salient financial tool used to do so. Look at the 80s for example.
  • Sorry just reread your comment and misinterpreted it. Apologies
  • Sorry just reread your comment and misinterpreted it. Apologies

I should think so, nobody should question my advanced superior opinion.

Well, apart from when AI takes over and I'm their pet Human 'n stuff.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,315
    You have to assume most people won't click the link rick - and that chart has been cropped so as to be basically meaningless.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    Their loss.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    edited September 2023

Their loss.

Twitter is particularly unusable at the moment. Not sure what to infer from the graph anyway. Lots of changes, but no idea if they are positive. Has car travel got safer or drugs simply got worse? Same with mental health.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    I suspect it is mainly that vehicles have got safer. As it is the leading cause it may also be that there wasn't much swing needed. That said, the drug death overtaking cardiovascular disease as well in some states could suggest that rising drug deaths are a significant issue. I wonder why suicide is a bigger issue in the Mid West than drugs and vice versa further east. It's quite an interesting graphic but would be more interesting with some theory / analysis.
  • Clearly it's because of Tesla's autonomously saving people's lives.
  • Pross

Clearly it's because of Tesla's autonomously saving people's lives.

Or people resorting to drug use / suicide as a way out of putting up with Musk.
  • The fenatyl sutation in the USA does appear to be getting out of hand.
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    edited September 2023
    There was an episode of Star Trek in the 90s which had San Francisco with lots of homeless camps and high crime (set in 2026). I thought it was a bit unlikely at the time, but seems to be a pretty accurate prediction now.

It wasn’t that long ago that most of the world dreamed of living in California, now they are seeing an exodus of people to states like Florida and Texas.
  • Pross
    PMark said:

There was an episode of Star Trek in the 90s which had San Francisco with lots of homeless camps and high crime (set in 2026). I thought it was a bit unlikely at the time, but seems to be a pretty accurate prediction now.

It wasn’t that long ago that most of the world dreamed of living in California, now they are seeing an exodus of people to states like Florida and Texas.

Slicon Valley has a major housing crisis I believe. even people in highly paid tech jobs are struggling to get housing in the area and have taken to sleeping in their cars, using gyms for showering. I think it has been a problem for at least a decade.
  • focuszing723
    edited September 2023
    PMark said:

How did they solve the issue in Star Trek?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932
    1990s? Not the real Star Trek!