joe biden

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    He needs to cut out this Skippy walk nonsense aimed at showing us all how young he is. Just walk normally and use your intellect man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited May 2021

Great chart

(Heavily suspect you could do a very similar chart for remainders and leavers)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    That's...pretty good yeah 😊
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    edited May 2021

Great chart

(Heavily suspect you could do a very similar chart for remainders and leavers)

Good to see they (both sides) don't appear to make up their mind in a partisan manner and gave it lots of time to see the impact of the incoming administration

At least the Democrats gradually decided it was getting worse under Trump though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    to be perfect, it needs a measure of the economy on a second y axis...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    ddraver said:

to be perfect, it needs a measure of the economy on a second y axis...

Getting better or worse is subjective.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Fair play to the US troops managing to stay awake whilst sleepy Joe is talking.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    After that business of him eying up the 4 year old girl, I thought sleepy Joe had become creepy Joe?
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    How many generations back are his Irish roots? Does he have any English roots too? Just curious because he's another American playing the Irish card and I just wonder why they make such a big deal about it?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

How many generations back are his Irish roots? Does he have any English roots too? Just curious because he's another American playing the Irish card and I just wonder why they make such a big deal about it?

It is bizarre and I wonder whether it is related to their hatred of our colonial past. Whatever the reason it was a known known and we need to accept the reality of the situation and give in early and gracefully.

Of course when we do pull out we have a fall guy country to pick up the funding and security issues.
  • rick_chasey

It is bizarre and I wonder whether it is related to their hatred of our colonial past. Whatever the reason it was a known known and we need to accept the reality of the situation and give in early and gracefully.

Of course when we do pull out we have a fall guy country to pick up the funding and security issues.
    Is it not a way to put more leverage on the UK? After all, it's on its own now and trade deals need to be struck.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Americans grab history from anywhere they can.
    What with England being the historical bad guy, you look for links to the other nations.
    I suspect a lot of Irish Americans have as much English as Irish heritage.
  • tangled_metal
    It said in the news last night that Biden's mum was full Irish. If true then he at least has a claim to Irish nationality if he so wishes. If things go very badly he could run off to the west of Ireland and nobody would find him or want to go there.

My American grandad had swedish immigrants a couple of generations back. Add in a mix of German blood further back and most of his life living in England. He still considered himself American and only American. You hear less of swedish Americans or English Americans. What is it about Irish ancestry? Where are the Scottish Americans? I really never understood the Irish American thing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    edited June 2021

It said in the news last night that Biden's mum was full Irish. If true then he at least has a claim to Irish nationality if he so wishes. If things go very badly he could run off to the west of Ireland and nobody would find him or want to go there.

My American grandad had swedish immigrants a couple of generations back. Add in a mix of German blood further back and most of his life living in England. He still considered himself American and only American. You hear less of swedish Americans or English Americans. What is it about Irish ancestry? Where are the Scottish Americans? I really never understood the Irish American thing.

The west of Ireland is stunning! I recommend paying a visit.

Scottish Americans are even more annoying than Scots. They are definitely a thing.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Italian American?

• tangled_metal
    Then there's German too. Isn't that a reference to the Amish type of religious communities?

Also, are there any proud of being descended from the earliest settlers on Georgetown? Like the aussies are proud to trace ancestry back to convicts I mean.

My grandads family were more interested in tenuous links to famous figures in the creation of America such as Bowie, Davie Crockett, etc. One relative traced the family tree back to Georgetown and back to England too. That part got posted off to us in England but all the stuff on crockett and Bowie got kept as more interesting. A sign that being English American just doesn't have the appeal I guess.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    The explanation I have heard about why Irish/Italian American is more of a thing is about victimhood as they were forced migrants.

Most Americans I know are very keen students of their own ancestry with the holy grail being totrace yourself back to the Mayflower.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021

The explanation I have heard about why Irish/Italian American is more of a thing is about victimhood as they were forced migrants.

Most Americans I know are very keen students of their own ancestry with the holy grail being totrace yourself back to the Mayflower.

It is a proxy for telling the UK "the EU is out strategic focus in the region - we recognise our historic ties but please, UK, recognise where our priorities are".

I would also add that outside of the UK and Ireland the troubles are seen as another sectarian pain in the ars* where each side is in the wrong and anyone who does anything to upset that balance is a sh!t.

The rest of the world sees voting for Brexit as upsetting that balance.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877

It is a proxy for telling the UK "the EU is out strategic focus in the region - we recognise our historic ties but please, UK, recognise where our priorities are".

I would also add that outside of the UK and Ireland the troubles are seen as another sectarian pain in the ars* where each side is in the wrong and anyone who does anything to upset that balance is a sh!t.

Not sure the proxy thing is close to be true Rick. They've been proud of being Irish / Italian Americans since well before the EU came into existance, let alone became influential.
    Irish Americans we raising funds for the IRA back in the 1960s if not earlier.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Dinner plates for fatboys.
    Did Biden tell him to ride it down the railway tracks?

• focuszing723
    edited June 2021

I tell thee. That's a bloody special relationship!

• rick_chasey
    edited June 2021

Not sure the proxy thing is close to be true Rick. They've been proud of being Irish / Italian Americans since well before the EU came into existance, let alone became influential.
    If you really think this president of the US says these things publicly in things like the G7 because he's got a thing for his heritage and not for some strategic or tactical reasons, I think you are being at bit naïve at how Biden and his administration operate. I'm sure it is personal with him, but plenty of things are personal to him - it doesn't mean he's gonna talk about it to the global press.

It is obviously more palatable for you to think it is just a pride thing.

All the diplomats and the diplomatic reporters and analysts are saying this is a material departure from prior US diplomatic rhetoric (if we ignore the Trump aberration) and is about demonstrating the US priority in the region.

All these public declarations are about signalling the direction of diplomacy and future relations. This is the telling the UK which side it will take - and therefore that implies their strategic priority is not the UK. After all, Ireland is much smaller and less significant than the UK - but the EU obviously isn't.
  • Pross
    As political gifts go that is actually a surprisingly well thought out and practical one (cthe colour scheme isn't really my think but I can see Boris loving it).
  • focuszing723
    Pross said:

As political gifts go that is actually a surprisingly well thought out and practical one (cthe colour scheme isn't really my think but I can see Boris loving it).

Yeah, I thought that. It's certainly better than a load of DVD's
  • Pross
    edited June 2021

I was thinking when reading that seond paragraph of Rick's that I'm pretty sure that Irish Americans didn't feel each side was wrong. It was very much the brave heroes fighting the imperialist Brits that had forced their ancestors to flee the old country (I agree with SC on the point he made that the Irish heritage is still a big thing due to being 'unwilling' immigrants).
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2021
    I guess that means Biden holds a grudge against Germany/EU for World War II and the death of his relatives as mentioned during his speech at RAF Mildenhall to the USA troops. More likely he puts it down to a different place in history which is best left in the past.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

I was thinking when reading that seond paragraph of Rick's that I'm pretty sure that Irish Americans didn't feel each side was wrong. It was very much the brave heroes fighting the imperialist Brits that had forced their ancestors to flee the old country (I agree with SC on the point he made that the Irish heritage is still a big thing due to being 'unwilling' immigrants).
    The US also picks sides in Israel/ Palestine but that doesn’t mean they don’t look down on both sides for being a international pain in the ars*

(There is a common theme in both of them…)
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    This was a really good program on the partition of Ireland, showing the true horrors and not a romanticised view - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wgtj

Bidens great-great grandfather was from the village in Mayo where my family are from. Beautiful part of the world.