And attacking mechanicals.
  • ddraver said:

Always makes me laugh...

I love that so much.

HD version:

https://youtu.be/7E4vRtC7IcY
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    ABN for me too. I like a bit of soap opera, but that doesn't mean I have to cheer for the villain.

Anyway, I'm in team Jakob really.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

hypster said:

It seems like the only thing that Geraint Thomas can win now is Richie Porte's "World's Unluckiest Rider" crown.

I can't think of a worse rider to win the tour since Sastre and Pereiro, so he's been very lucky in my view even if he never wins anything else.
    Ooof! Harsh man!!

(But possibly fair...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    edited October 2020
    RichN95. said:

jam1e said:

I'm very much in team Anyone But Nibali, does a lot of whinging but isn't above the odd unsporting moment.

I'm an ABN, not because of him personally but he's already won four Grand Tours against very moderate opposition. He's shared GT podiums with the likes of Mosquera, Velits, Peraud, Chaves and a 36 year old Evans. He hasn't beaten a fellow Grand Tour winner under the age of 34.
    I have no problem with him being a 4 time GT winner, they're all on merit and he's won monuments too. He's been a top racer over the years and a worthy champion. I just hate the mouthing off/throwing of bottles/general sh!t-stirring.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    If I was asked to pick a preferred winner, I think I'd go for either Kruijswijk or Kelderman.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

hypster said:

It seems like the only thing that Geraint Thomas can win now is Richie Porte's "World's Unluckiest Rider" crown.

I can't think of a worse rider to win the tour since Sastre and Pereiro, so he's been very lucky in my view even if he never wins anything else.
    Geraint Thomas?

Much as I like Thomas I can't see how he is in a par with Nibali.

Arguably Bernal and Pogacar are yet to prove they are equal to him too though pretty sure Pogacar will - Bernal I'm not so sure but he has time.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158

I love that so much.

HD version:

I like how the other riders are so shocked that they slow up and look at each other as if to say "Did you see that? WTF"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.

If I was asked to pick a preferred winner, I think I'd go for either Kruijswijk or Kelderman.

Kruijswick for me. He should have won one of Nibali's Giros (Giri)
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    gsk82 said:

jam1e said:

I'm very much in team Anyone But Nibali, does a lot of whinging but isn't above the odd unsporting moment.

He's built a career on winning grand tours with no opposition
    Some would call that good luck. can only race against those who are there.

• hypster said:

Probably the most stupid comment I have read on here since racing re-started.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    RichN95. said:

Kruijswick for me. He should have won one of Nibali's Giros (Giri)
    Nah, I like Kruijswijk but his crash in that Giro was his own doing. As Yoda Chasey said above 'if first you want to finish, then finish first you must' or something like that.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    RichN95. said:

I love that so much.

HD version:

I like how the other riders are so shocked that they slow up and look at each other as if to say "Did you see that? WTF"
    ”Well...FFS if we could just do that we wouldn't be slogging away on the front here!!!!”

I can remember the stage thread, Twitter, commentators all in unison, "....did we just see that?"

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • A thought I had the other day. If Kruiswijk makes the same mistake in this year's Giro (with no snow bank to crash into) does he win the race?
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

”Well...FFS if we could just do that we wouldn't be slogging away on the front here!!!!”

I can remember the stage thread, Twitter, commentators all in unison, "....did we just see that?"

I had a re-read of the stage thread (2015 Vuelta stage 2). One comment: "They might as well have put him on the roof rack"
  • RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

I had a re-read of the stage thread (2015 Vuelta stage 2). One comment: "They might as well have put him on the roof rack"
    Instead of hiding motors in bikes, that day Nibali was hiding his bike in motors.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

I love that so much.

HD version:

You can say what you like about Nibali but that's some massive balls he's got there. Priceless.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

jam1e said:

Brits eh dish?

It’s like you lot don’t like a bit of drama and soap opera.

Can't stand soap operas, I prefer a bit of Dutch comedy.
    Fair.

I’ve never found the good loser very appealing.

I like that he winds riders up and gestures and gets annoyed in attempts to persuade riders.

I like that he can and does win without the best legs.

I like how he’s always in the mix and even if he has a shocker he’s in it for a stage.

I like he can mix it up as well in one dayers - though I think he’ll never win LBL but he has been close.

He’s just interesting. Good value.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    jam1e said:

jam1e said:

Brits eh dish?

That's quite an assumption.

Yeah it is. The gentlemanly sportsmanship thing doesn’t always travel as well.

I’m not a big fan tbh.
  • RichN95.

<

I like that he can and does win without the best legs.

Mostly though he wins without the best riders.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

hypster said:

I sometimes think people forget how good Thomas was that season and instead remember it in a way they would have expected him to win instead. He was superb throughout, back to back MTFs. To me it was a better win than Wiggins and I rate his ride higher than most on here.

Nibali's win was dull simply because he had no competition. Sure, he may have won anyway but he'd have had to fight for it in the mountains. An ageing mountain biker came second.
  • Pross
    jam1e said:

You forgot throwing bottles at the wrong people.

Not quite as bad as the guy in the karting race at the weekend if you've seen it?!
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

I sometimes think people forget how good Thomas was that season and instead remember it in a way they would have expected him to win instead. He was superb throughout, back to back MTFs. To me it was a better win than Wiggins and I rate his ride higher than most on here.

And Thomas did the best follow up Tour of any first time winner since Armstrong (or Indurain if you prefer)
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Pross said:

hypster said:

Nibali's win was dull simply because he had no competition. Sure, he may have won anyway but he'd have had to fight for it in the mountains. An ageing mountain biker came second.
    Wasn't he actually somewhat dropped (slightly) on L'Alpe d'Huez and came back to win because the others were faffing about looking at each other in order to not have to lead out anyone?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Think it was more he stuck to his own pace rather than getting roped into trying to go with the attacks.
  • salsiccia1
    I'm not a big fan of these 'he only won because...' type posts. Nibali and Thomas won what they did by being first. Nothing more, nothing less. Unless there was cheating going on they deserved their wins.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    Pretty open race we have now . No matter who you hate . What's the Yates camp.saying?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.

I'm not a big fan of these 'he only won because...' type posts. Nibali and Thomas won what they did by being first. Nothing more, nothing less. Unless there was cheating going on they deserved their wins.

They say you can only beat what's in front of you.

But Nibali's GT wins have had in second place: Mosquera, Uran, Peraud and Chaves. You have to think he has got lucky. He's also been beaten into second by Horner and Caparaz and should have been by Kruijswick.

He already probably has the most GTs against the least competition (although I'd controversially throw Hinault into that conversation)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    edited October 2020
    Nibali is a narcassistic a hat but he is entertaining
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    edited October 2020

He was already ahead of Froome when Froome crashed out and my guess is Froome would not have matched Nibali on the cobbles and the Sky leader would have lost another couple of minutes

Edit: 2018 Nibali finished on Froome's wheel on the stage with the most cobbles in recent history, so not sure what you're basing him loosing 2 minutes on.