Giro 2020 - Stage 3: Enna – Etna 150 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551

Tao now their best placed rider, 2'30" after Nibali in 24th place. With some freedom/support he could climb up to a top ten without too much bother.

I don't think he's climbing well enough. He was near the front for the first half of the climb but went out of the favourites group once the action started properly. Castroviejo looked good but inexplicably lost around 7 minutes yesterday apparently. I didn't watch yesterday's stage but it didn't strike me as one where he would have needed to give it all as a support rider.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

I'll tell you this.

I'LL LOVE IT.

I'LL ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT WHEN NIBALI WINS THIS

I would be mildly happy too. Be good for the Shark to get one last final hurrah
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    ddraver said:

I'll tell you this.

I'LL LOVE IT.

I'LL ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT WHEN NIBALI WINS THIS

I would be mildly happy too. Be good for the Shark to get one last final hurrah
    I'd be mortified but each to their own.

Who is favourite now? I don't have a clue.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    edited October 2020
    Pross said:

I didn't watch yesterday's stage but it didn't strike me as one where he would have needed to give it all as a support rider.

It's been said before that you rarely win a GT on one stage, but you can certainly lose one. Must have finished way off the back, for reasons that escape me.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    DeadCalm said:

Current odds (Bet365):

5/2 Nibali
    3/1 Fuglsang
    7/2 Kruijswijk
    4/1 Kelderman
    10/1 Majka
    14/1 Almeida
    20/1 Yates
    25/1 Bilbao
    28/1 Pozzovivo
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    RichN95. said:

DeadCalm said:

Current odds (Bet365):

5/2 Nibali
    3/1 Fuglsang
    7/2 Kruijswijk
    4/1 Kelderman
    10/1 Majka
    14/1 Almeida
    20/1 Yates
    25/1 Bilbao
    28/1 Pozzovivo
    Thanks. It's the stuff of nightmares.

Yates at 20/1? It'd have to be the Giro of 2018 in almost reverse.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Not Nibali. Please not Nibali. He's a great racer but he's a scrote.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Not Nibali. Please not Nibali. He's a great racer but he's a scrote.

So, not so much "The Shark of Messina", more "The Loan Shark of Messina"? :p
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

If you're Carapaz, you're feeling sick to your stomach right now

The tour ended up pretty good for him
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560

I'm told by the internet that scrote means "a contemptible person". Seems a very harsh way of describing the fella...
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    I'm very much in team Anyone But Nibali, does a lot of whinging but isn't above the odd unsporting moment.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    jam1e said:

I'm very much in team Anyone But Nibali, does a lot of whinging but isn't above the odd unsporting moment.

He's built a career on winning grand tours with no opposition
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    dish_dash said:

I'm told by the internet that scrote means "a contemptible person". Seems a very harsh way of describing the fella...
    Scrote works for me.... anyone but Nibali..... please!
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • RichN95.
    edited October 2020
    jam1e said:

I'm an ABN, not because of him personally but he's already won four Grand Tours against very moderate opposition. He's shared GT podiums with the likes of Mosquera, Velits, Peraud, Chaves and a 36 year old Evans. He hasn't beaten a fellow Grand Tour winner under the age of 34.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

jam1e said:

I'm an ABN, not because of him personally but he's already won four Grand Tours against very moderate opposition. He's shared GT podiums with the likes of Mosquera, Velits, Peraud, Chaves and a 36 year old Evans. He hasn't beaten a fellow Grand Tour winner under the age of 34.
    Yeah, basically this.

Pretty much the epitome of his nickname though, it would be a proper shark move.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited October 2020

https://www.ineosgrenadiers.com/article/thomas-loses-time-after-stage-three-crash

Speaking after the stage, INEOS Grenadiers Doctor Phil Riley said: "Geraint crashed on his left side, so he took a significant blow to the back of his left hip and he has some abrasions on his left arm and leg. After the stage he was taken for x-rays at the finish.

"The initial x-rays didn’t show anything broken, but we are awaiting confirmation in the morning. We will treat him tonight, continue to monitor him and then review it in the morning again."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    RichN95. said:

jam1e said:

Fairly sure Contador and Froome were on the start line of his Tour win.

If you want to finish first, first you must finish
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    jam1e said:

Brits eh dish?

It’s like you lot don’t like a bit of drama and soap opera.
  • jam1e
    edited October 2020

jam1e said:

Brits eh dish?

That's quite an assumption.

• RichN95.

RichN95. said:

jam1e said:

Fairly sure Contador and Froome were on the start line of his Tour win.

If you want to finish first, first you must finish

Ok. You can cling to that if you wish. Although Nibali has only ever once won a race (excluding stages) that either Contador or Froome also finished
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    We'll never know but given he won his Tour by almost 8 minutes I think it's fair to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he'd probably have beaten both Froome and Contador that year.

He was already ahead of Froome when Froome crashed out and my guess is Froome would not have matched Nibali on the cobbles and the Sky leader would have lost another couple of minutes- the best Sky rider was nearly 2 minutes down on that stage.

Contador was well behind when he crashed out so would have had to have the race of his life to catch Nibali given how strong the Italian was for the rest of the race.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    Is it time for the gif again? Pleeeease tell me it's time for the gif again....
    - @ddraver
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    It seems like the only thing that Geraint Thomas can win now is Richie Porte's "World's Unluckiest Rider" crown.
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

Is it time for the gif again? Pleeeease tell me it's time for the gif again....

Given I have no idea what you’re on about, I’ll say it’s definitely time for that gif again
  • ddraver
    edited October 2020

Always makes me laugh...
    - @ddraver
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    Bit surprised by some of the antipathy here to Nibali, for he surely is the type of rider we all should prefer – willing and able to attack, good climber/TT-er, super descender, tactically savvy, etc.

Don't agree with him being judged negatively for having won his GTs 'without opposition/only against moderate opposition'. RC mentioned contrast examples.
    Falling off your bike, having a bad day, etc, is all part of the game - doesn't reduce the achievement of the eventual winner.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited October 2020

jam1e said:

Brits eh dish?

It’s like you lot don’t like a bit of drama and soap opera.

Can't stand soap operas, I prefer a bit of Dutch comedy.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621
    hypster said:

It seems like the only thing that Geraint Thomas can win now is Richie Porte's "World's Unluckiest Rider" crown.

I can't think of a worse rider to win the tour since Sastre and Pereiro, so he's been very lucky in my view even if he never wins anything else.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited October 2020
    jimmyjams said:

Bit surprised by some of the antipathy here to Nibali, for he surely is the type of rider we all should prefer – willing and able to attack, good climber/TT-er, super descender, tactically savvy, etc.

Don't agree with him being judged negatively for having won his GTs 'without opposition/only against moderate opposition'. RC mentioned contrast examples.
    Falling off your bike, having a bad day, etc, is all part of the game - doesn't reduce the achievement of the eventual winner.

Yeah attacking, winning races against weak fields, getting towed up climbs by the team car - I love all that stuff.
  • jam1e
    You forgot throwing bottles at the wrong people.