Ineos Grenadiers

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906

phreak said:

phreak said:

roscoe said:

Other than Vingegaard and Pogacar, who else do we think is a potential TdF winner in the future?

Evenepoel is the real deal and he’s so young still.
    Remco was 23 in January, which isn't actually all that young in elite sporting terms. Pog and Bernal had won three Tours between them before getting to 23.

He certainly has many talents and a lot of potential, but I think his status as a future TDF winner probably benefits from him never having ridden it to see how he compares against the established Big Dogs when they're going for it.

And historically, potential dominant Tour riders identified young tend to underperform - Ullrich and Bernal were going to dominate for a decade and Pog was supposedly unbeatable by mortal man.

Though to maintain balance, he has a 100% record of winning GTs that he finishes, which is non-trivially impressive.
    He's the nearest to Vingers and Pog. And he can TT better than both, right?
    Given he has hardly ridden stage races during his career, what are you basing that on? A win in a stage race that you yourself deride as for alsorans? That's literally the only stage race success he's ever had.
    You mean GTs, right? He's won a shed load of stage races at all levels - and he's won more than 50% of those he's finished
    No, I mean stage races that are a) not included in our censored small races thread, and b) that have at least one of Pog, JV, or Roglic in them. If you have those criteria, it's literally the Vuelta and that's it.

phreak said:

Given he has hardly ridden stage races during his career, what are you basing that on? A win in a stage race that you yourself deride as for alsorans? That's literally the only stage race success he's ever had.

Firstly, he's 23.

He's already been on multiple podiums for the worlds TT, he won the Tour de Suisse TT (beating a pretty heavyweight TT crowd), won 2 Giro TTs (one whilst positive for covid..!), 1 Vuelta TT and the vuelta overall and that's before his deeply impressive one day palmares.

If you can find a candidate who is closer to Pog and JV for GTs, I'm all ears but he's your next best bet.
    He might well be, but right now I'd say that's an absolutely huge if as he not only has never beaten Pog or JV in a stage race, but he's only actually raced against them in one once in his entire career. If you were being uncharitable you'd say he's avoiding them. It's not exactly the actions of the cocky young thing he's portrayed as.

Yeah, though that was what I meant about QS not knowing what to do with GC contenders.
    Given his alleged ego, the fact that he hasn't ridden the Tour yet does suggest that he himself doesn't think he can contest it. If he seriously thought he could win then he'd have ridden it by now, team or not. Given QS defended the red jersey from stage 6 of the Vuelta last year doesn't suggest they're quite that bad a team.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    You don't think it's Patrick's ego at play here, not Remco's?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,787
    edited June 2023

pblakeney said:

Genuinely I think JV needs it hot and high as they are the two (relative) weaknesses of Pog and relatives strengths of JV.

July is likely hot ....high is a problem . Only one stage over Loze seems to have genuine altitude.. they better make good on it . The tourmalet is too early to count
    Probably correct but is in contradiction with the opinion that the Giro was too back loaded.
    Early in the stage too

Ah!
    I've not looked at the route. I would presume that is is not flat after the Tourmalet though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney

...Remco's Vuelta success means you wouldn't want to bet large sums against him if he was up against Pog and JV in the Tour, but you wouldn't want to bet much on him either.

A neat summary.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    My fear for Evenepoel is that he's a cycling version of Anthony Joshua. Rake in the money with loads of hype while hiding from the people who'll beat him and burst the balloon.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Genuinely I think JV needs it hot and high as they are the two (relative) weaknesses of Pog and relatives strengths of JV.

July is likely hot ....high is a problem . Only one stage over Loze seems to have genuine altitude.. they better make good on it . The tourmalet is too early to count
    Probably correct but is in contradiction with the opinion that the Giro was too back loaded.
    Early in the stage too

Ah!
    I've not looked at the route. I would presume that is is not flat after the Tourmalet though.
    Cauterets climb 5 percenter ... I done it ..it's not hard relatively
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Early in the stage too

Ah!
    Not challenging but I look forward to the chase down the descent if someone goes for it. 😉 Probably a day for the breakaway though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Early in the stage too

Ah!
    The climb to Cauteret town is easy, but the bit to Cambassque has a few km over 10%. It's probably not going to be tough enough for more than a Roglic style sprint though.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    phreak said:

phreak said:

roscoe said:

Other than Vingegaard and Pogacar, who else do we think is a potential TdF winner in the future?

Evenepoel is the real deal and he’s so young still.
    Remco was 23 in January, which isn't actually all that young in elite sporting terms. Pog and Bernal had won three Tours between them before getting to 23.

He certainly has many talents and a lot of potential, but I think his status as a future TDF winner probably benefits from him never having ridden it to see how he compares against the established Big Dogs when they're going for it.

And historically, potential dominant Tour riders identified young tend to underperform - Ullrich and Bernal were going to dominate for a decade and Pog was supposedly unbeatable by mortal man.

Though to maintain balance, he has a 100% record of winning GTs that he finishes, which is non-trivially impressive.
    He's the nearest to Vingers and Pog. And he can TT better than both, right?
    You mean GTs, right? He's won a shed load of stage races at all levels - and he's won more than 50% of those he's finished
    No, I mean stage races that are a) not included in our censored small races thread, and b) that have at least one of Pog, JV, or Roglic in them. If you have those criteria, it's literally the Vuelta and that's it.

Ah, you probably should have said that to begin with then

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    gsk82 said:

My fear for Evenepoel is that he's a cycling version of Anthony Joshua. Rake in the money with loads of hype while hiding from the people who'll beat him and burst the balloon.

The hype is long running, seemingly started well before the money started flowing, and is already backed with a GT win (slightly diminished in the public imagination because everybody's bored by the Vuelta).

He can't possibly be as good as the hype, especially amongst his Belgian fans, but that leaves a heck of a lot of space to slide back into whilst still accumulating a decent palmares.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited June 2023

gsk82 said:

The hype is long running, seemingly started well before the money started flowing, and is already backed with a GT win (slightly diminished in the public imagination because everybody's bored by the Vuelta).

He can't possibly be as good as the hype, especially amongst his Belgian fans, but that leaves a heck of a lot of space to slide back into whilst still accumulating a decent palmares.

And Anthony Joshua hasn't had a bad career, he has a World Champion, but it's clear by now that there are a few better than him.
    But when he first beat Klitschko the media projected a career that wasn't likely to happen. The same is probably true with Evenepoel. Some are already putting asterisks on races he dropped out of.

Still, it's not as misguided as the hype for Emma Radacanu was.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Honestly, winning the World Championship, 2 LBL's and a GC at his age pretty much justifies all the hype already. Especially when considering that he didn't crash out of the Giro (not for lack of trying 😉) or doesn't constantly get sick in GT's, but rather got Covid, which I feel is an extenuating circumstance; and would have won the Giro otherwise giving him 2 GT wins already.
    From current riders only Pogacar can be considered more successful at about his age/years as a pro.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    m.r.m. said:

Honestly, winning the World Championship, 2 LBL's and a GC at his age pretty much justifies all the hype already. Especially when considering that he didn't crash out of the Giro (not for lack of trying 😉) or doesn't constantly get sick in GT's, but rather got Covid, which I feel is an extenuating circumstance; and would have won the Giro otherwise giving him 2 GT wins already.
    From current riders only Pogacar can be considered more successful at about his age/years as a pro.

No-one's doubting his talent. But some (not here) have already awarded him future palmares to match the greats. He'll win loads, but he'll fall sort of those people's expectations.
    As for the Tour (and perhaps Giro), there are genuine questions about him in the high mountains - even when he won the Vuelta he lost time whenever it went over 1500m. And of course his team, hence his appearance in this thread.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Yeah okay, that's all fair. Maybe it will finally be down to needing parcours with lots of ITT's for him to win. It does seem like the GT's seem to be fiddling with that depending on who they want to attend (which in some weird way seems ethically wrong).
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2023
    m.r.m. said:

Yeah okay, that's all fair. Maybe it will finally be down to needing parcours with lots of ITT's for him to win. It does seem like the GT's seem to be fiddling with that depending on who they want to attend (which in some weird way seems ethically wrong).

That's the Giro though and their inferiority complex with the Tour. And increasingly with the Vuelta. Froome continually pitching up to the Vuelta probably didn't help, hence why they bunged him a sack of cash.

As for Evenepoel hype. There's many in the media that put him on a level with Pogacar and Vingegaard (even Roglic), with little to support it (he won a Vuelta against Mas and a teenager). Yet.
    It's similar with the British media putting Andy Murray on the same level as the other three. On occasions he was, but usually not.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631
    RichN95. said:

Was it obvious that she was made of glass?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited June 2023
    RichN95. said:

What do you mean was?
    The BBC still fawn over her every excuse.
    If ever there was a one hit wonder.....

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

And Anthony Joshua hasn't had a bad career, he has a World Champion, but it's clear by now that there are a few better than him.
    But when he first beat Klitschko the media projected a career that wasn't likely to happen. The same is probably true with Evenepoel. Some are already putting asterisks on races he dropped out of.

Emma Raducanu's problem is the tick logo on her chest. Thankfully that tends to stay out of cycling now.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago

• RichN95. said:

What do you mean was?
    The BBC still fawn over her every excuse.
    If ever there was a one hit wonder.....

Better one hit than none. And who cares what the BBC thinks?

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 465
    In this year’s TdF guide, Ineos don’t even have a rider featured as a contender. That must be a first.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    roscoe said:

In this year’s TdF guide, Ineos don’t even have a rider featured as a contender. That must be a first.

Closest analogue was when Bradley Wiggins crashed out ...EBH won a stage and saved them

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    roscoe said:

Well, my prediction was that they weren't going to win anyway so the may as well go for stage wins. Makes sense from that point of view.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • roscoe
    Perhaps Egan has been sandbagging and will pull off a shock…………
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    edited June 2023
    roscoe said:

That would be awesome, but I really don't see it - maybe next year.
    If he can't recreate his best form next year (And he would need it and then some to take on Pog), you would have thought both parties would start questioning his future in the sport.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 670
    Was Thomas Lofkvist ever promoted as a serious contender? His career just seemed to nosedive as soon as he joined up.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • RichN95.

Was Thomas Lofkvist ever promoted as a serious contender? His career just seemed to nosedive as soon as he joined up.

He said overtraining at previous teams killed him
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    I've seen one in the wild now. It looks right agricultural, from the front doors back it looks a bit Hummer. Sixty odd grand before the obligatory options seems steep to rag around a farm.

At least the new Defender is a looker. Why are so many murdered out in black? The ones in the classic LandRover greens and blues look much better.
  • roscoe
    daniel_b said:

roscoe said:

If he can't recreate his best form next year (And he would need it and then some to take on Pog), you would have thought both parties would start questioning his future in the sport.
    Sadly, I think he’s really going to struggle to get anywhere near his previous standard. I hope I’m wrong.

I was thinking about what’s missing at Ineos and I don’t think they’ve really replaced the big engines in the team. Kiryenka and Porte come to mind. I know Wurf is there but he’s caught between cycling and triathlon. Dennis came in and looked decent but then left.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    roscoe said:

daniel_b said:

roscoe said:

Sadly, I think he’s really going to struggle to get anywhere near his previous standard. I hope I’m wrong.

I was thinking about what’s missing at Ineos and I don’t think they’ve really replaced the big engines in the team. Kiryenka and Porte come to mind. I know Wurf is there but he’s caught between cycling and triathlon. Dennis came in and looked decent but then left.
    What about Turner and Sheffield? Both hugely talented riders who can do long turns on the front.

I think they've got far deeper problems than a lack of engines. They had a good Giro, despite losing Ganna and TGH, but there Tour squad is a) not obvious and b) clearly lacking a leader.

Taking Bernal would be an admission of failure, as it's means Martinez, who has been well below his best so far this season, isn't good enough for GC and their results at both the Dauphine and the Tour de Suisse suggest the whole Tour group isn't in good enough shape. In the past, they would be a major factor in both races and then win the Tour, this year they were nowhere, so unless they've changed how they prepare for the Tour, it suggests they'll be anonymous.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    It's not up to Ineos standards, but I wouldn't bet against Carlos Rodriguez getting a Top 5 finish in the Tour (no, I can't see him on the podium either).