The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,644
    It will be interesting to see what happens in Melbourne and Hong Kong.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/why-covid-death-rate-down/613945/

COVID-19 Cases Are Rising, So Why Are Deaths Flatlining?
    The gap between soaring cases and falling deaths is being weaponized by the right to claim a hollow victory in the face of shameless failure. What’s really going on?

The gap between spiking cases and falling-then-flatlining deaths has become the latest partisan flashpoint.

What is going on.
    Interesting article. There are a lot of potential positives, mainly the hospitalisation death rate. But the potential long term health legacy is worrying.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/why-covid-death-rate-down/613945/

The gap between soaring cases and falling deaths is being weaponized by the right to claim a hollow victory in the face of shameless failure. What’s really going on?

The gap between spiking cases and falling-then-flatlining deaths has become the latest partisan flashpoint.

What is going on.
    Interesting article. There are a lot of potential positives, mainly the hospitalisation death rate. But the potential long term health legacy is worrying.
    I find the politicisation of the stats remarkable.
  • First.Aspect

What is going on.
    I barely noticed. Is it so different to this thread?
  • rick_chasey

What is going on.
    Probably not.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573

What is going on.
    That's exactly what has been happening for most of this thread. I'm very surprised that Rick finds it remarkable.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Well on that note, what's the upside to the UK opting out of the EU coronavirus vaccine programme?
  • TheBigBean

Well on that note, what's the upside to the UK opting out of the EU coronavirus vaccine programme?

I was wondering how long it would take for you to post that!

The article I read had a reasonable explanation.
  • rick_chasey

...which was?
  • TheBigBean

...which was?
    The UK would have no say over volumes or pricing as it is not in the EU. The UK has seen no evidence of buyer power as most pharmaceuticals are offering everything at the same price to everyone, so the UK sees limited upside.

Of the vaccines in development, two are in the UK and one and a half are in the EU, but the two in the UK are way ahead of the other EU's ones. By participating in the deal, the UK would be volume capped on the two being generated in the UK without any say.

Overall therefore, the only way the UK would do well out of the deal would be if the two vaccines in the UK fail, all the others in the world also fail and one of the EU ones succeeds. Then UK would miss out on some guaranteed volume.
  • TheBigBean
    Mexico is not having a good time at the moment.
  • rick_chasey

...which was?
    The UK would have no say over volumes or pricing as it is not in the EU. The UK has seen no evidence of buyer power as most pharmaceuticals are offering everything at the same price to everyone, so the UK sees limited upside.

Of the vaccines in development, two are in the UK and one and a half are in the EU, but the two in the UK are way ahead of the other EU's ones. By participating in the deal, the UK would be volume capped on the two being generated in the UK without any say.

Overall therefore, the only way the UK would do well out of the deal would be if the two vaccines in the UK fail, all the others in the world also fail and one of the EU ones succeeds. Then UK would miss out on some guaranteed volume.
    So, honest question, why would anyone be part of the EU scheme?
  • TheBigBean

...which was?

If a country is in the EU (so has a say), is not developing its own vaccine and believes in buyer power, then it would make sense.
  • rick_chasey

...which was?

If a country is in the EU (so has a say), is not developing its own vaccine and believes in buyer power, then it would make sense.
    Hmm. Seems an odd way to incentivise nations to develop vaccines. Doesn't quite add up to me.
  • Well on that note, what's the upside to the UK opting out of the EU coronavirus vaccine programme?

...which was?

Remoaners must be hugely conflicted with the UK having two vaccines in development that are way ahead of any vaccine being developed by the EU. Really does not fit their narrative that the UK is rubbish and the EU is better :wink:

Remoaners are so bitter that they probably want the UK vaccines to fail so they can attack the UK...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    Depends on what the vaccine scheme is - if it is a pooling of all requirements and then whatever the members of the scheme buy is shared, then I can't see the benefit to the UK of joining. We aren't in the EU.

If it is just an additional option (like the PPE scheme was), then I can't see the down side of joining.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    Anyone seen anything that has got to the bottom of the £15bn for PPE supply?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect

...which was?

Remoaners must be hugely conflicted with the UK having two vaccines in development that are way ahead of any vaccine being developed by the EU. Really does not fit their narrative that the UK is rubbish and the EU is better :wink:

Remoaners are so bitter that they probably want the UK vaccines to fail so they can attack the UK...
    Well this is nonsensical even by your standards.

The UK has always been a brilliantly innovative and scientific country. It is better able to do this by collaborating with scientists around the world, and vice versa. Unfortunately BJ isn't a details guy so this isn't really on his radar.

The "elbows out" approach to getting in first to a vaccine and screw the rest of the world is not only sociopathic, but actually could backfire in an extreme way if you actually lose the race. So aside from being selfish and idiotic, it is a good idea.

Remainers love the UK so much, they wanted the best for it.

Leavers love themselves so much, they blamed everything that might be wrong with the UK on other people.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Nothing useful. I have noted that the same people who were complaining about the shortage are now complaining abut the cost.
  • kingstongraham

rjsterry said:

Nothing useful. I have noted that the same people who were complaining about the shortage are now complaining abut the cost.
    If it means we are spending what it takes to get more than enough for the winter, then you'd expect it to be a very large number.

Throwing money at companies who could deliver is absolutely what should have been done given the situation three months ago. If we were throwing money at companies who couldn't deliver, then not so much.
  • Stevo_666

rjsterry said:

Agreed. Is the issue now that we are spending too much on protecting people?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    edited July 2020

rjsterry said:

Not so much complaining as wondering how on earth they have arrived at that figure. It's I think 15l times what they normally spend in a year. They are going to need a really big shed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Agreed. Is the issue now that we are spending too much on protecting people?
    4 aircraft carriers worth. Who knows if it's too much or not.
  • Stevo_666
    There's no pleasing some people.
  • kingstongraham
    edited July 2020

rjsterry said:

I'm not complaining about paying what was needed, but if we hadn't had a shortage, we wouldn't have needed to spend so much in a hurry when prices were highest. Would have been ridiculous to not buy them when needed given the money being thrown out everywhere.

I saw an article saying that France were using 45 million masks a week, so several billion items of PPE sounds reasonable for the UK to fulfill demand and rebuild a stockpile.

And France will be in a similar situation having burnt a billion masks.
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

I'm not complaining about paying what was needed, but if we hadn't had a shortage, we wouldn't have needed to spend so much in a hurry when prices were highest. Would have been ridiculous to not buy them when needed given the money being thrown out everywhere.

I saw an article saying that France were using 45 million masks a week, so several billion items of PPE sounds reasonable for the UK to fulfill demand and rebuild a stockpile.

It's a shame reusable ones didn't get used or approved.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    rjsterry said:

Another dodgy looking contract award starter for ten...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53117011
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    Bit weird. But they seem to have delivered?

https://www.pestfix.co.uk/default.asp
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

Bitter sweet milestone in NI as there are now ZERO cases of Covid 19 in an ICU bed.

It's now over 2 weeks since an ICU bed in NI was occupied by a Covid 19 patient
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392

rjsterry said:

It's a shame reusable ones didn't get used or approved.
    A lot of people in France had abandoned wearing masks in shops a few weeks back, and those that were, were almost always the reusable fabric ("cool") masks. I think countries handling this sensibly allow a certain amount of leeway to allow people to settle in to what they think is reasonable.

donc, c'etait dans une Zone Vert...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver