The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,898
    So, it's safe for pubs to open at 6 am tomorrow for a proper all day session with your mates, but if you happen to play cricket, forget it.
    Apparently teas are still served for village green matches and having tea, as we all know, is extremely dangerous.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53276717

Bojo and Cummings giving Morecombe and Wise a run for their money.
    Maybe we'll get a Christmas show.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,360

So, it's safe for pubs to open at 6 am tomorrow for a proper all day session with your mates, but if you happen to play cricket, forget it.
    Apparently teas are still served for village green matches and having tea, as we all know, is extremely dangerous.

They could think the unthinkable, and have cricket without tea?
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Doesn't surprise me. Pub down by the river here showing absolutely no signs of imminent life today.

which one ?
    Boaters
    I’ll take that off my pub crawl route then !!!!!!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401

...just not cricket.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,824
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

So at the extremes of our poll we have a decent uptick income at one end (good work!), one or two flat, depending on h2 performance, a couple of people with no income expected this year (sucks, guys), and the rest are in and around the 15-20% loss.

So the polled total earnings would overall be down by a decent chunk.

What's notable however is in that 15-20% loss group, of the people who said, most people are still *saving*, which would suggest the saving rates are even higher, which is obviously bad news for boosting growth.

I did the same for the bit of FS I do at we're seeing 15-25% drop in comp off the back of a couple hundred data points.

I don't see how that suddenly recovers.

I do.

As far as I can see, most of my spending reduction is down to lockdown restrictions. So would expect this to pick up over time as the restrictions relax, starting tomorrow :smile:
    I'm not sure you can create a recovery all on your own.
    True, I'm not filling the car up with petrol for another week.

But I'm not atypical in this regard, most people do want to get out and about and doing stuff.
    Sure they do. Just not all got as much spare cash as you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,958

Suddenly it has been declared safe from the 11th of July. They really are making it up on the fly.
  • rjsterry

GTFO! :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Contract tasting sounds fun. Isn't that what Jay Rayner does?

Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,750
    It's what you voted for. Enjoy.
  • blazing_saddles

Suddenly it has been declared safe from the 11th of July. They really are making it up on the fly.
    What a joke.
    Like I said, we have a new comedy act, but this one is more like: Morecombe and Unwise.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,605

This is the stuff that I know drives Coopster crazy, and he wouldn't be wrong, from The Sun website. From what I can see, Wokingham had 1 case in the previous week, and then 5 in the current week. Go back another week and it was 11, another week 10 etc. It's just bad reporting.

Redcar, previous week 1 case, current week 7 cases.

i'd been tracking cases in a three postcodes, home, office, airport, the cumulative case numbers sometimes decline by one or two, presumably a testing hiccup/reallocation, no big deal

in the last couple of days the numbers went crazy, digging in i found the reason...
    On 2 July, data on tests in the community were added to the number of cases for English local authorities causing the numbers to jump sharply.

i.e. the previously reported numbers excluded a significant number of tests

the 'jump' was c. 6% in sw1, but over 30% for the heathrow area!

i'd been sceptical about leicester's claims that they weren't getting the info they needed, but clearly the government has been knowingly publishing bad data for some time
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kingstongraham
    In some areas the previously reported figures at local level missed 90% of the tests. Crazy, but now fixed.

They've fixed some other errors now as well, that reduce the overall, but don't affect the fact that Leicester has a problem.
  • blazing_saddles
    What a surprise, that this.

After a few pints, looked like this.

• What a surprise, that this.

After a few pints, looked like this.

Just following the examples set by the BLM protests. They want to be the example of how the UK moves forward and they are being so in this case
  • kingstongraham
    Did the £1,000 penalties for not isolating for 14 days come into force?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,935

Did the £1,000 penalties for not isolating for 14 days come into force?

No.

Obviously not
  • ddraver
    Dunno, I'm stuck here...

(untill the 10th at least)
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    edited July 2020
    Some interesting research on genetic predisposition to severe symptoms and hospitalisation.
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.03.186296v1
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,727
    Interesting snippet that herd immunity might be achieved at 25-30%. Would go a long way to explaining why London's number are so low.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020
    We already know that the financial cost to the country of lockdown will be huge.
    Now the cost in non-Covid deaths is beginning to be estimated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53300784

Delays to cancer diagnosis and treatment due to coronavirus could cause up to 35,000 excess deaths in the UK within a year.........
    ......Up to two million routine breast, bowel and cervical cancer screenings may have been missed.
  • ddraver
    But Tories though right? 👍👍👍👍
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    No corona related deaths reported in the Principality for 4 consecutive days.

• ddraver
    Oh, you can't compare England and Wales, they're, like, totes different!
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,747
    edited July 2020
    So a study from Spain suggesting immunity is short lived - to the extent herd immunity without a vaccine is a non-starter. If true I guess we better hope for a vaccine!!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles

So a study from Spain suggesting immunity is short lived - to the extent herd immunity without a vaccine is a non-starter. If true I guess we better hope for a vaccine!!

Here's another shade of grey for you.

T cells found in COVID-19 patients ‘bode well’ for long-term immunity.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/t-cells-found-covid-19-patients-bode-well-long-term-immunity
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

How long did they say antibodies were detectable for? If immunity doesn't last long, people will have to be getting constant vaccine boosters.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

Here's another shade of grey for you.

T cells found in COVID-19 patients ‘bode well’ for long-term immunity.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/t-cells-found-covid-19-patients-bode-well-long-term-immunity
    I still think that it tends to get about 10-20% of the population and the rest have cross immunity (as referenced in the article you posted) or are naturally resistant. I bet somewhere like Madrid will not see a spike whereas places that have never really had many cases will.