The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,360
    Yes, if you were waiting for test results and went down the pub, you're a d1ck.
  • kingstongraham
    How long do test results take these days in the UK? Was targeted for 24 hours not long ago, think it might generally be pretty quick.

USA is going the wrong way on that too by the sounds.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,898

How long do test results take these days in the UK? Was targeted for 24 hours not long ago, think it might generally be pretty quick.

USA is going the wrong way on that too by the sounds.

It took 48 hours for one of the England cricket team to get his result, which was the same as my neighbour.
    Do we have to add a day for it being the weekend?

So, either they had their tests the day before, or else nipped down the pub straight after getting the test.
    Either way, what a pair of complete ar$eholes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited July 2020
    That's a lot of plastic for Greta to get angry about :wink:

However, the MSM are a week late to this. Quelle surprise. Here are further relevant costs

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Did anyone else read that as Bendover instead of BenClover as they quickly skimmed it?
    No?
    Just me then. ;)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    edited July 2020
    I must admit it was the 15 billion which got passed my PPE.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2020
    My goodness and I thought we had idiots in charge.

I see that Queen Nicola of Scotland intends retaining quarantine rules for Spain.
    She warned that people should not seek to "get around" the restrictions by travelling via English airports.
    Good luck with that one.

She says it's because the current infection rate for Spain is 3 times higher than the UK as a whole, but doesn't draw any conclusion from the fact that England's infection rate is approximately 6 times higher than Scotland!

Plus the Canaries are also included in the quarantine because apparently she didn't know the figures.
    Well, Lanzarote has zero cases and there were just 22 cases in 14 days throughout the Islands. (The Balearics aren't much worse)

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884

Did anyone else read that as Bendover instead of BenClover as they quickly skimmed it?
    No?
    Just me then. ;)

I can see that his PPE bill must be on the high side.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,693

I see that Queen Nicola of Scotland intends retaining quarantine rules for Spain.
    She warned that people should not seek to "get around" the restrictions by travelling via English airports.
    Good luck with that one.

She says it's because the current infection rate for Spain is 3 times higher than the UK as a whole, but doesn't draw any conclusion from the fact that England's infection rate is approximately 6 times higher than Scotland!

Plus the Canaries are also included in the quarantine because apparently she didn't know the figures.
    Well, Lanzarote has zero cases and there were just 22 cases in 14 days throughout the Islands. (The Balearics aren't much worse)

What rate are.you talking about? Rate of newly identified cases, or estimated infections in community. Because the latter is about 1.5 times higher in England.

Not sure about the former. How much of the cross border outbreak was England's fault? All of it I guess she would say.
  • blazing_saddles

Good luck with that one.

What rate are.you talking about? Rate of newly identified cases, or estimated infections in community. Because the latter is about 1.5 times higher in England.

Not sure about the former. How much of the cross border outbreak was England's fault? All of it I guess she would say.
    Sorry. This is what was said as quoted from the article.

She said it was estimated that for every 100,000 people in Scotland, 28 currently have coronavirus. She said this compared to 128 across the UK as a whole, and about 330 in Spain.

So, not 6 times but around 5 times, given Wales and NI are low.
    Don't know where her figures come from or why she felt the need to reference the UK as a whole.
  • First.Aspect
    Latest ONS data for England is about 1 in 2200 people.

Last time there were actual figures mentioned in Scotland's daily bulletin, last Thursday, I calculated it at just shy of 1 in 3000.

I can't find any data on the Scottish government website. But since the England data was up to 2 July, something about the "5x" claim seems extremely fishy to me.
  • First.Aspect
    Put it another way, for the claim to be correct there would need to be fewer than 400 people in the entire of Scotland currently infected.
  • blazing_saddles

Last time there were actual figures mentioned in Scotland's daily bulletin, last Thursday, I calculated it at just shy of 1 in 3000.

I can't find any data on the Scottish government website. But since the England data was up to 2 July, something about the "5x" claim seems extremely fishy to me.

I never questioned the numbers, but now you come to mention it, I call bullpoo on the Spanish stats, too. That comes out at about 150,000 current coronavirus cases.
    Whichever way you cut it, Spain's figures make for a lot better reading than the UK's.

I notice she used the word "estimate". Maybe a better word would be creative.
    Anyhow, it's another debatable piece of BBC reporting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53336489
  • First.Aspect

I never questioned the numbers, but now you come to mention it, I call bullpoo on the Spanish stats, too. That comes out at about 150,000 current coronavirus cases.
    Whichever way you cut it, Spain's figures make for a lot better reading than the UK's.

I notice she used the word "estimate". Maybe a better word would be creative.
    Anyhow, it's another debatable piece of BBC reporting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53336489
    Okay, so the SNP's "5 x" figure for England (and Wales?) is based on an estimated prevalence in the population of 1 in 768. The ONS says 1 in 2200.

I think the SNP are using the edge of the 95% confidence limit for England, and the middle for Scotland.

I absolutely hate politicians. They are all basically liars.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,935
    edited July 2020
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/business/sweden-economy-coronavirus.html

NY Times on "Sweden Has Become the World’s Cautionary Tale"

This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better.

“They literally gained nothing,” said Jacob F. Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington. “It’s a self-inflicted wound, and they have no economic gains.”

Now, I appreciate I have a horse in this, but I guess it's worth reitterating.

Here is one takeaway with potentially universal import: It is simplistic to portray government actions such as quarantines as the cause of economic damage. The real culprit is the virus itself.

ie. Pandemics Depress the Economy, Public Health Interventions Do Not
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,165

Here is one takeaway with potentially universal import: It is simplistic to portray government actions such as quarantines as the cause of economic damage. The real culprit is the virus itself.

Yeah.
    Shops reopened here the other week. We went into town and there was hardly anyone out.
    Things are pretty quiet at work too.
  • https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/business/sweden-economy-coronavirus.html

This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better.

“They literally gained nothing,” said Jacob F. Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington. “It’s a self-inflicted wound, and they have no economic gains.”

How's the opposite approach working out for Melbourne?

A lot of supposedly intelligent, highly educated people, like the person above, will be denying they ever criticised the Swedish approach in Spring 2021
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

And again you are judging the long term outcome at an (undetermined) mid point.

They could be right or wrong. Nobody, literally nobody knows the final outcome.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,727

If Sweden is a cautionary tale, what's New York?
  • kingstongraham
    Australia probably relatively happy so far with their 4 deaths per million against Sweden's 540. Especially with Melbourne in their winter, which as you often say, is probably a high risk time to be having a major outbreak.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    I don't think the virus really cares about which method is used.
  • kingstongraham
    Interesting from that article: "older people — those over 70 — reduced their spending more in Sweden than in Denmark, perhaps concerned that the business-as-usual circumstances made going out especially risky."

• rick_chasey

Sure.

I mean, I know you're a fan of pointing out whataboutery...

What's wrong with the reasoning in the article?
  • kingstongraham

Another.
  • TheBigBean

Sure.

it required me to register to read which is a step too far. I know it is a national paper, but it seemed odd for a paper with New York in its name to ignore the more local example. Call it whataboutery if it makes you happy.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,920

Sure.

it required me to register to read which is a step too far. I know it is a national paper, but it seemed odd for a paper with New York in its name to ignore the more local example. Call it whataboutery if it makes you happy.

Maybe they are addressing the whataboutery there?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    If I was going to ask someone to triple check if my quarantine has ended early tomorrow is there a way I could do it..?

As it is I think it may be sensible not to take the piss so I'll go shopping in a mask and go for a walk on my own but I won't go out on the lash or to any meat processing plants....

(Given that the whole thing is complete b0ll0x anyway I think that's showing rather more 'common sense' than Johnson deserves...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

If I was going to ask someone to triple check if my quarantine has ended early tomorrow is there a way I could do it..?

As it is I think it may be sensible not to take the piss so I'll go shopping in a mask and go for a walk on my own but I won't go out on the lash or to any meat processing plants....

(Given that the whole thing is complete b0ll0x anyway I think that's showing rather more 'common sense' than Johnson deserves...)

You're supposed to still be in quarantine.
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2020
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/why-covid-death-rate-down/613945/

COVID-19 Cases Are Rising, So Why Are Deaths Flatlining?
    The gap between soaring cases and falling deaths is being weaponized by the right to claim a hollow victory in the face of shameless failure. What’s really going on?

The gap between spiking cases and falling-then-flatlining deaths has become the latest partisan flashpoint.

What is going on.