The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,824
    Fairly detailed breakdown of the Spanish study just published.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,726
    rjsterry said:

Fairly detailed breakdown of the Spanish study just published.

Minor aside, I really dislike the portrayal of the Abbott test as having 100% specificity. It doesn't, and 99.6% is materially different to 100%.

In a large sample this can be controlled for. Just grumbling about the tweet.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,924
    I see the gov't's finger pointing has started.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

in all honesty, why bother? they have up to 50,000 excess deaths on their hands and yet most people think they did a good job
  • rick_chasey

in all honesty, why bother? they have up to 50,000 excess deaths on their hands and yet most people think they did a good job
    Because Starmer is likely to spend the next four years pointing it out, so they need to test-run their various responses to see what lands well.

• nickice said:

So a study from Spain suggesting immunity is short lived - to the extent herd immunity without a vaccine is a non-starter. If true I guess we better hope for a vaccine!!

Here's another shade of grey for you.

T cells found in COVID-19 patients ‘bode well’ for long-term immunity.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/05/t-cells-found-covid-19-patients-bode-well-long-term-immunity
    I still think that it tends to get about 10-20% of the population and the rest have cross immunity (as referenced in the article you posted) or are naturally resistant. I bet somewhere like Madrid will not see a spike whereas places that have never really had many cases will.
    It seems the medical thinking has now moved onto T-cells rather the anti-bodies. It seems like the anti-bodies have a half life of 3 weeks so don't provide long term immunity but the T-cells do provide this better.

So, my understanding is, with the T-cells, you could be infected with C19 again but your body would fight the virus off quicker and before any symptoms were visible. Similar to those who are asymptomatic now, which would correlate with the thinking that catching a past coronavirus giving you an amount of protection against C19.

I still think it is a winter virus and we will see the second wave then and every future winter.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,360
    That quote was from the herd immunity days of mid March. The lockdown then came to try and stop the hospitals being overwhelmed. Too late to prevent a lot of the deaths, but enough to stop the economy.

If we don't get and keep the number of infections low, then clearly we will see another spike at some point, but hopefully with a better understanding of the disease and how to treat it. That is already the case. And hopefully a plan to get kids into schools.
  • kingstongraham
    nickice said:

So a study from Spain suggesting immunity is short lived - to the extent herd immunity without a vaccine is a non-starter. If true I guess we better hope for a vaccine!!

How long did they say antibodies were detectable for? If immunity doesn't last long, people will have to be getting constant vaccine boosters.
    For me, it was definitely over 3 months.
  • What has local government being doing for all this time then as most of it comes under their remit/authority?

Or does that get ignored because it is all Labour?
  • That quote was from the herd immunity days of mid March. The lockdown then came to try and stop the hospitals being overwhelmed. Too late to prevent a lot of the deaths, but enough to stop the economy.

If we don't get and keep the number of infections low, then clearly we will see another spike at some point, but hopefully with a better understanding of the disease and how to treat it. That is already the case. And hopefully a plan to get kids into schools.
    The schools are fine in the warmer months, should never have been closed and should be fully open now. They may become a problem for spreading over the colder months like everywhere else, meat packing factories being a good example, and now maybe Melbourne as an example now it is in its Winter.

The lockdown loonies have created huge future problems as if we cannot open now in the safer, warmer months we are going to be screwed by their hysteria come the colder months.
  • kingstongraham
    edited July 2020

That quote was from the herd immunity days of mid March. The lockdown then came to try and stop the hospitals being overwhelmed. Too late to prevent a lot of the deaths, but enough to stop the economy.

The schools are fine in the warmer months, should never have been closed and should be fully open now. They may become a problem for spreading over the colder months like everywhere else, meat packing factories being a good example, and now maybe Melbourne as an example now it is in its Winter.

The lockdown loonies have created huge future problems as if we cannot open now in the safer, warmer months we are going to be screwed by their hysteria come the colder months.
    That's the government panicking and prioritising pubs over schools. And the unions.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,726

How do you explain the struggles in Mexico, India, Brazil and others if it is all about temperature?
  • Another week of data and C19 brought forward deaths gains momentum.
  • That quote was from the herd immunity days of mid March. The lockdown then came to try and stop the hospitals being overwhelmed. Too late to prevent a lot of the deaths, but enough to stop the economy.

How do you explain the struggles in Mexico, India, Brazil and others if it is all about temperature?
    I think it is related to climate your genetics are accustomed to ie we Brits don't need as much sun exposure for Vit D as people of African origin.

The 3 countries you list, and many others all have incredibly high density living, particularly amongst the poorest of society which will contribute hugely to the infection spread.
  • rjsterry

And those famously chilly places Florida, Arizona, Texas and Georgia.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Texas is getting quite exciting in terms of the potential downsides of herd immunity.

Coopster - i get your argument about the Autumn and assuming you know people who hold the same view how many of they are going out of their way to get C19 now when it is relatively safe?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,919

Texas is getting quite exciting in terms of the potential downsides of herd immunity.

Coopster - i get your argument about the Autumn and assuming you know people who hold the same view how many of they are going out of their way to get C19 now when it is relatively safe?

I’d guess none.
    They want to be in the 40% but won’t admit it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    rjsterry said:

Those are places where it is too hot to be comfortable outside all the time.
  • rick_chasey

rjsterry said:

Those are places where it is too hot to be comfortable outside all the time.
    Does not bode well for returning to offices anytime soon.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399

I think it is related to climate your genetics are accustomed to ie we Brits don't need as much sun exposure for Vit D as people of African origin.

The 3 countries you list, and many others all have incredibly high density living, particularly amongst the poorest of society which will contribute hugely to the infection spread.
    Really? Brazil?? Mexico??
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

A bit like lounging around blasting the oxygen at base camp and scoffing all Kendal mint cakes before the big climb.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,693
    What is the Portuguese for "schadenfreude"?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,625

What is the Portuguese for "schadenfreude"?

It's only a little flu...
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

It might have some seasonality but if nobody (or very few people) is immune to it, it's going to spread. Older people in Spain and Italy are often vitamin D deficient because they stay out of the sun.
  • rjsterry
    nickice said:

It might have some seasonality but if nobody (or very few people) is immune to it, it's going to spread. Older people in Spain and Italy are often vitamin D deficient because they stay out of the sun.
    I did see a report the other day of a study disputing the vitamin D link, or at least that taking supplements did not help.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,973
    With regard to the three pubs that have been forced to shut again, cab someone help fill in some timeline blanks?
    Saturday - pubs open
    Monday - pubs announce they have to close again due to a customer or customers reporting they have tested positive.

Now, as I understand it, test results take 24/48 hours to come through.

So, the infected customers, had they undergone tests before they went to the pub and were awaiting results, or did they have tests booked for Sunday and got their results within 24 hours?

Either way, it seems to me that you have to ask why they went to the pub on Saturday as they were either awaiting a test result (in which case they must be open to being sued), or were feeling unwell already.

Am I wrong in my assumptions?
    Surprised more hasn't been publicised about this tbh.
  • rjsterry
    Could just be that someone who had been to the pub then reported symptoms and test results are pending.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,898
    edited July 2020
    rjsterry said:

Could just be that someone who had been to the pub then reported symptoms and test results are pending.

May well be so, given the media's record of jumping the gun , but they didn't report it as such.
    Reading the BBC, while the headline can be described as misleading, it appears that it is partially true.

Coronavirus: Three England pubs close after positive tests

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53315702

A number of pubs in England have shut after customers tested positive for coronavirus.

However, upon reading on we find there were two positive customer tests:

In Batley, West Yorkshire, the Fox and Hounds said a customer had phoned to say they had tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=560922697923336&id=277800149568927

Plus a third positive in a family bubble.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.