The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Sure but some are still posters on here?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,605

Not sure you can count lurking and giving likes to vaguely right wing comments as being a poster.
  • They've moved on to pretending that 15 minute cities and low traffic neighbourhoods are a globalist plot to keep everyone locked in their homes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,337

I very much doubt anyone will try to justify that position
  • The virus which drove the Covid-19 pandemic most likely emerged from a laboratory leak but not as part of a weapons program, according to an updated and classified 2021 US energy department study provided to the White House and senior American lawmakers, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

The department’s finding – a departure from previous studies on how the virus emerged – came in an update to a document from the office of National Intelligence director Avril Haines. It follows an FBI finding, issued with “moderate confidence”, that the virus spread after leaking out of a Chinese laboratory.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/26/covid-virus-likely-laboratory-leak-us-energy-department
    If correct, quite a costly mistake for the UK that, around £500,000,000,000 worth.
  • They've moved on to pretending that 15 minute cities and low traffic neighbourhoods are a globalist plot to keep everyone locked in their homes.

not the government plot, but certainly the all tech industry is plotting to keep you at home and sell you more and more home entertainment.
    We were a bit bored the other day and thought what one could do in the evening… and honestly, other than eating out or drinking out, there is nothing left to do… maybe there never was a lot to do to start with, but certainly the widely available home entertainment, makes it even more obvious that there isn’t a good enough reason to go out
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey

The virus which drove the Covid-19 pandemic most likely emerged from a laboratory leak but not as part of a weapons program, according to an updated and classified 2021 US energy department study provided to the White House and senior American lawmakers, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

The department’s finding – a departure from previous studies on how the virus emerged – came in an update to a document from the office of National Intelligence director Avril Haines. It follows an FBI finding, issued with “moderate confidence”, that the virus spread after leaking out of a Chinese laboratory.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/26/covid-virus-likely-laboratory-leak-us-energy-department
    If correct, quite a costly mistake for the UK that, around £500,000,000,000 worth.
    I can't work out if this is all objective or if it's just convenient for the US to be saying this.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    Standard evening entertainment options apart from eating or drinking were theatre, music, cinema and dance/club. Not much will have changed other than inclination.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey

They've moved on to pretending that 15 minute cities and low traffic neighbourhoods are a globalist plot to keep everyone locked in their homes.

Wait till I tell them what I think the future will look like.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Re going out there has certainly been a huge reduction in pubs, clubs and live music. I'm not putting this down to COVID though it probably has accelerated the demise of some.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647

The virus which drove the Covid-19 pandemic most likely emerged from a laboratory leak but not as part of a weapons program, according to an updated and classified 2021 US energy department study provided to the White House and senior American lawmakers, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

*Stop the presses - intelligence organisation tasked with finding out if there was a lab leak concludes there was a lab leak.*

In other news, countless scientific analyses have concluded that it crossed interspecies barriers into the human population.
  • Re going out there has certainly been a huge reduction in pubs, clubs and live music. I'm not putting this down to COVID though it probably has accelerated the demise of some.

... and obviously cinemas have changed. Nowadays, they are a family experience, so if you don't have kids, there isn't much on offer. The odd independent cinema still show a handful of decent independent productions, but the chains only show 3D films for kids
    left the forum March 2023
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,930
    Yea that well known family film franchises cocaine bear is currently the top film.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646

They've moved on to pretending that 15 minute cities and low traffic neighbourhoods are a globalist plot to keep everyone locked in their homes.

You called it a conspiracy theory before.
  • TheBigBean

*Stop the presses - intelligence organisation tasked with finding out if there was a lab leak concludes there was a lab leak.*

In other news, countless scientific analyses have concluded that it crossed interspecies barriers into the human population.
    No one can know for sure either way.

Irrespective of whether there was a leak or not, weaponising viruses in the name of science is not a great idea. Fauci arranged funding for a lot of it.
  • TheBigBean

For all those who predicted in lockdown they they would never end, and the govt was conspiring to keep things locked down, where’s the reckoning?

If people campaign against something which then doesn't happen, does it mean the campaign was pointless?

Plus, I think all the damnation of people doing stuff outside hasn't aged well.
  • rick_chasey

You called it a conspiracy theory before.
    Absolutely. It really smells like that. Also, I find the lack of attention to it weird. If it really was, the whole world would be up-in-arms, surely.
  • First.Aspect

Irrespective of whether there was a leak or not, weaponising viruses in the name of science is not a great idea. Fauci arranged funding for a lot of it.
    I can't rule out completely that the world is being controlled by aliens disguised as office workers, but I prefer policy to be based on the most likely scenarios.
  • rick_chasey

For all those who predicted in lockdown they they would never end, and the govt was conspiring to keep things locked down, where’s the reckoning?

If people campaign against something which then doesn't happen, does it mean the campaign was pointless?

I'd like to see some corroboration that their campaigning did anything whatsoever.
  • The virus which drove the Covid-19 pandemic most likely emerged from a laboratory leak but not as part of a weapons program, according to an updated and classified 2021 US energy department study provided to the White House and senior American lawmakers, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.

I can't rule out completely that the world is being controlled by aliens disguised as office workers, but I prefer policy to be based on the most likely scenarios.
    Yes, exactly.
  • TheBigBean

I find this view a bit odd. Which of the two points below do you find unbelievable on a par with the world being controlled by aliens?
    - The outbreak started very near the Wuhan Institute of Virology
    - Labs have previously accidentally leaked stuff

• Thinking about it, if I was and Alien advanced enough to travel to Earth, would I mess about being covert?
  • The only possible explanation is historian time travellers.
  • DeVlaeminck

This isn't the first serious enquiry that has suggested a lab leak is most likely and given the presence of labs in that area of China involved in that kind of research it's hardly the stuff of conspiracy theories.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,930

Possibly, but, the damnation of children playing outside gave us some of the most entertaining posts on this thread from old mule muncher.
  • First.Aspect

This isn't the first serious enquiry that has suggested a lab leak is most likely and given the presence of labs in that area of China involved in that kind of research it's hardly the stuff of conspiracy theories.
    Uh huh. But there are far fewer of them than the enquiries that say it can't be ruled out by thst natural transmission is more likely, given the genetic patterns.

Uh huh. But there are far fewer of them than the enquiries that say it can't be ruled out by thst natural transmission is more likely, given the genetic patterns.
    Lab leak does not necessarily mean artificial.
  • First.Aspect

That's a take I've not come across before.

My understanding is that the pattern of mutations does seem to point elsewhere, though.

But tbh I don't understand the issues well enough to do anything other than parrot what I've heard.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Must admit I didn't realise the bulk of scientific evidence was pointing towards natural transmission - I guess the reports that dissent from that just makes bigger headlines.

• TheBigBean

That's a take I've not come across before.

My understanding is that the pattern of mutations does seem to point elsewhere, though.

But tbh I don't understand the issues well enough to do anything other than parrot what I've heard.
    Wuhan Institute of Virology collected coronaviruses from the wild. They also did research on them.