The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• It's like people enjoy catching colds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,808

It's like people enjoy catching colds.

More like people don't care about passing on colds, but same result.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647

I've always wondered why we accept people struggling to work with a cold. Seems not to be good business to have your entire office infected, rather than one person. Yes after 3 cataclysmic years, nothing seems to have changed.
  • pblakeney said:

The Telegraph lady was hating on the advice for people to wear masks when they are ill so...

Also I think hating on people who do it, but it was a bit incoherent.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,560

pblakeney said:

The Telegraph lady was hating on the advice for people to wear masks when they are ill so...

wonder what her reaction would be if she found herself heading into the operating theatre and the medics announced they were going to abide by her beliefs and operate maskless and gloveless
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    sungod said:

pblakeney said:

wonder what her reaction would be if she found herself heading into the operating theatre and the medics announced they were going to abide by her beliefs and operate maskless and gloveless
    No doctor would risk touching a journalist without wearing gloves!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,808
    More suited to the things that annoy me thread but calling mouthpieces journalists is like calling plumbers engineers.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939
    My impression is that covid is pretty widespread at the mo, lurking amongst a deluge of chesty colds. School's been full of hackers this week and last, and a friend's just tested positive, only finding out as he had to take a test to go to the dentist. His wife's been hacking for a week.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    Yes, my immediate boss has been working from home all week as he tested positive, I had to go in today to cover for him, felt fine but was a bit snotty. Took a test and I was positive, first time for me so I've popped my COVID cherry. A few colleagues took tests although they felt fine and another one was positive too. I've just got to keep away from the trouble as she has an appointment at the hospital on Monday and I really don't want her to miss it.
  • briantrumpet
    A very good summary of where we are from Phil Hammond in Private Eye.

Interesting that he says that Omicron is only less severe for people who have been vaccinated. An unvaccinated elderly French friend is still quite severely ill two months after getting it.

(Right click the image to read it more easily.)

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    I think I'm experiencing the joy of Long COVID

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam said:

apparently there is a correlation with your gut bacteria… if you have a poor microbioma, you are significantly more likely to suffer from long Covid. A large proportion of our immune system is in our gut

left the forum March 2023
  • briantrumpet
    secretsam said:

Bad luck. I still have a hunch that there's a link with post-concussion syndrome and its disruption of brain functions, quite apart from the documented effect on cardiovascular and lung function, etc. I suspect, like PCS, there's going to be better understanding of the range of symptoms long covid encompasses (including depression), but little known about how to treat it, other than 'going with the flow' and resting as much and as often as you need to, and that recovery will probably have a very long tail, possibly leaving people with long-term symptoms in some cases.

Best of luck with your recovery.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702

Interesting that he says that Omicron is only less severe for people who have been vaccinated. An unvaccinated elderly French friend is still quite severely ill two months after getting it.

But RC says we've smashed it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

But RC says we've smashed it.

To be fair, we did smash smallpox. Just a pity there are so many other little blighters out to get us.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    secretsam said:

I was talking to an old colleague of mine last week. His wife, a retired nurse, caught it in the early days and has had long Covid ever since. He said he isn’t quite her career but is having to drive her around everywhere as she can’t even drive herself.
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

secretsam said:

I was talking to an old colleague of mine last week. His wife, a retired nurse, caught it in the early days and has had long Covid ever since. He said he isn’t quite her career but is having to drive her around everywhere as she can’t even drive herself.

I wonder what it is that means he has to do that. A friend of a friend with PCS eventually had to change jobs as she was still suffering from dizziness and was unable to drive two years after its onset.
  • secretsam said:

Hope you are able to get some medical support, in Hampshire it's 13 weeks before you can join the queue for NHS support after having blood test and chest x-ray.

I'm officially a long covider since my positive in late September. Had three vaccine jabs in '21 (last one in Dec ), all of which gave me moderate-bad reactions. Only other time I knowingly got covid was right at the start of the pandemic in March '20, which left me barely able to get through work shifts and do some z2 rides for a couple of months, but I then quickly recovered before a rollercoaster ~18 months.

Reminds me of when I had glandular fever in my teens, if I was a car it's like someone had switched out my engine for something tiny and nicked most of my fuel. I've managed just four rides of 60mins since this started, all before Xmas, they all left me exhausted at my old z1/2. Since then I've had a flu-like bug that went through the family and hit us all for six for weeks. If flu was 10/10, on a good day I feel rough like 7/10, exhausted mentally and physically.

Desperately trying to push my fitness and stamina boundaries, but if I do too much on one day in terms of duration and/intensity, I have to take it easy for at least two days.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • veronese68
    I tested negative Thursday, but still bunged up and generally feeling lethargic. I know it's early days so hoping recovery follows reasonably well. I've heard lots of people say to take your time and not do too much too soon. Conveniently my off last month means I couldn't do too much even if I wanted to.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740

I tested negative Thursday, but still bunged up and generally feeling lethargic. I know it's early days so hoping recovery follows reasonably well. I've heard lots of people say to take your time and not do too much too soon. Conveniently my off last month means I couldn't do too much even if I wanted to.

Yup. Varies for everyone. I was exhausted for about 6 weeks.
  • I tested negative Thursday, but still bunged up and generally feeling lethargic. I know it's early days so hoping recovery follows reasonably well. I've heard lots of people say to take your time and not do too much too soon. Conveniently my off last month means I couldn't do too much even if I wanted to.

The big thing to look out for is symptoms getting better about a week after starting and then having a relapse.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • briantrumpet

The big thing to look out for is symptoms getting better about a week after starting and then having a relapse.

And I guess it wouldn't be surprising on a cycling forum if people try to push themselves when they do feel better, and that can then make the relapse worse. I think I'm guilty of that with my condition, especially if the sun comes out.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696

posted shite

^ These spambots on this forum are getting well annoying.
  • I tested negative Thursday, but still bunged up and generally feeling lethargic. I know it's early days so hoping recovery follows reasonably well. I've heard lots of people say to take your time and not do too much too soon. Conveniently my off last month means I couldn't do too much even if I wanted to.

Yup. Varies for everyone. I was exhausted for about 6 weeks.
    I, on the other hand, raced a hill climb a few days after testing negative… 😂

• veronese68
    That confirms the varies for everyone statement. As per Brian's comment, I'd probably be trying to do too much if my leg wasn't giving me so much gyp.
  • need to listen to your body… if you feel good,there is no reason not to ride and ride hard. At the time my legs felt amazing, probably needed the forced rest. I got my best power output over one minute
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    edited February 2023
    For all those who predicted in lockdown they they would never end, and the govt was conspiring to keep things locked down, where’s the reckoning?
  • veronese68
    You think there's any rational thought process to that type of idiot? They just kick off screaming because they don't like something, a toddler throwing a tantrum makes more sense.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,928
    Have they not just moved onto being anti vaxers.
  • briantrumpet

For all those who predicted in lockdown they they would never end, and the govt was conspiring to keep things locked down, where’s the reckoning?

There's never any reckoning, as they either come up with some bonkers reason for why the 'global elite' are pulling yet another scam on us ("They've only released us so that they can spread the next virus invented in a lab!!!!"), or they just move on and forget that sane people might remember what they said. There's always someone out to get them, but they are in on the secret that *everyone else* is ignoring.