The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956

Note the date
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,874

Note the date

I always assumed he was one of the lockdown sceptics. Makes his subsequent eye test trip even more odd.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    GB really was the only country that announced it's lockdowns a week in advance...

Everyone else really did just give it the old "Step forward if you're going out tonight....nyaaaa not so fast there bucko"
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

Note the date

I always assumed he was one of the lockdown sceptics. Makes his subsequent eye test trip even more odd.
    maybe he read this thread or watched the TV

either way he lost the debate as lockdown was 23rd March
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,919
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Didn't quite make it to the third anniversary unscathed.
    Thought we had a cold but wife had to test as she's a nurse. Buggerit.

Sorry to hear that, though at least you won't have to make any excuses about why you shouldn't go into work tomorrow.

I hope it's mild, and that the annoyance of being stuck at home with you is the worst of it.
    Wfh so hah! Just as well as I don't get paid for a no show. Strikes me as mild, similar to a head cold which I was happy to treat with hot toddies.
    Wife has it much worse. What's strange is my test was way more positive. Just tough as. 😉
    An update on this. My head cold symptoms lasted 2-3 days and were replaced by extreme fatigue and all over body aches, my legs in particular. This lasted for another 2-3 days. I did a test after a full 24 hours pain free which came back negative. I then took a further 2 days R&R.
    I did 2 sessions on the trainer this weekend as it was bloody freezing but mostly as the couch was 2 steps away if required. 😉
    I am gobsmacked at how hard an hour of z2 and sub 2.5w/kg can be! 😱😡 and apparently dehydration. My skin is so dry even after litres of water.
    I’m not looking for sympathy, just sharing for general info.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,012

I know as many people that have had it in the last week or so than at any other similar timeframe. Varying levels of illness.
    It's anecdotal of course, but whatever way you look at it there's plenty around.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,923
    I had no symptoms but after a week and a half I couldn’t even hold my head up for more than 2 hours before needing to lie down.

Weird illness
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,726
    Mad_Malx said:

I know as many people that have had it in the last week or so than at any other similar timeframe. Varying levels of illness.
    It's anecdotal of course, but whatever way you look at it there's plenty around.

I'm surprised that many people are testing
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,959
    I guess lots of people still have bunches of tests hanging around.

I probably wouldn't have tested if I needed to go out and buy one.
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2023

Mad_Malx said:

My wife is a nurse so has to test regularly.
    I *may* have borrowed one or two when feeling the symptoms. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross said:

Note the date

maybe he read this thread or watched the TV

either way he lost the debate as lockdown was 23rd March
    IIRC (which may not be the case) the public went for a self-imposed Swedish approach from circa 16th March, as measured by public transport and traffic stats. Schools shut on the 18th March.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,012

Mad_Malx said:

So was I, but they were symptomatic and deal with people who may be vunerable. Was even more surprised when my neighbour said she'd been pinged by the COVID app (then developed sniffle and tested positive). I didn't even know T&T was still running.
  • Visitor attraction attendance numbers are down since the pandemic...

But that does not mean they are suffering long Covid!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64976013
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney

Visitor attraction attendance numbers are down since the pandemic...

But that does not mean they are suffering long Covid!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64976013

I suspect lower numbers are more for financial reasons, but what do I know?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    @kingstongraham Have you ever had Epstein-Barr Virus? I was reading something recently that said they think there is a link between it and cases of long Covid.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,359

@kingstongraham Have you ever had Epstein-Barr Virus? I was reading something recently that said they think there is a link between it and cases of long Covid.

Not that I'm aware of.

Physically I'm OK again now - I cycle to work, run a bit. Did three laps of Richmond Park in just over an hour last week, which is comparable to before.

Still get tired, but difficult to say if whether that's connected.
  • TheBigBean

Not that I'm aware of.

Physically I'm OK again now - I cycle to work, run a bit. Did three laps of Richmond Park in just over an hour last week, which is comparable to before.

Still get tired, but difficult to say if whether that's connected.
    Reading about it again, it seems that 90% of people have had Epstein-Barr, so not sure that is a particularly helpful explanation. Ignore me. Glad you have improved though.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,103
    I've had quite a few acquaintances with flu-like symptoms in recent weeks, but this suggests that it's not covid-related. Just one of them tested positive. Good news.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,746
    Went to an outpatient clinic check last week: different vibe to 3 months ago, no masks requested and the glass screens etc on the reception desks had been removed. C19 is so... 2020.
  • briantrumpet
    I'm glad the screens are going, not least as they didn't help anyway.

FWIW, I'm still trying to keep rooms ventilated, and not letting people breathe on me, as there are still plenty of viruses floating around.
  • briantrumpet
    Really bizarre... covid cases ticking up a bit, no-one's sure quite what will happen in the autumn as people head indoors again, and the government is banging on about washing hands again, despite all we've learnt about ventilation, which isn't mentioned at all. It feels like we're back in 2020.

• I would be interested to see a chart in relation to what it financially cost too. What did we spend half a trillion odd quid.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,959
    Mid pack when you have an apparent world beating vaccine program seems a little disappointing.

Still, a much better performance than I would have suggested previously.
  • A little bit better than Italy and the USA seems less than ideal given our advantages over those places.
  • A little bit better than Italy and the USA seems less than ideal given our advantages over those places.

it does say "much closer to the average" which still leave the fact that despite our advantages we did relatively badly
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,923
    Does the forum think that had all the lockdowns happened a fortnight sooner, the UK would have performed better?
  • Pross
    It will be interesting to see how the excess deaths over the next couple of years pan out. Based on our own family Covid loss it is doubtful she would still have been with us by now in any case and I don't think it would have been a major shock had she not made it until the end of 2020. It feels like that was a case with many of the deaths .
  • Pross
    Also, I'm not sure the graph shows us being very close to the average when it comes to the financial growth side of things like the narrative suggests. On the plus side, at least we aren't Mexico!