Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• I've not seen anything to explain why northern Italy has been hit so badly. Anyone know anything about why? I don't necessarily trust the opinion I keep seeing on Twitter that suggests Italy has a better health system and containment than the UK.

- The amount of time it took to identify patient zero and acknowledge the problem
    - The Venice festival
    - Culturally families live together with grandparents and grandchildren in the same house
    - The age of their population in the affected areas

No one reason and nothing to do with their health system, apart from how they originally acted around patient zero
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Doesn't Italy generally have a very old population - sure I saw it was the oldest in Europe.

And we know that older people are disproportionately likely to be killed by it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    gweeds said:

Riding outside solo is fine right?

I'd say so. I read that in Italy it is discouraged as if you crash, you need medical treatment and anything that reduces pressure on the health system is a good thing. And because travel is only allowed for work situations or emergencies.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411

Doesn't Italy generally have a very old population - sure I saw it was the oldest in Europe.

And we know that older people are disproportionately likely to be killed by it.

Yes, Ch 4 news last night mentioned that Italy is the second oldest population in the world after Japan.
    What I'd like to know is, at what age does OLD begin?
    Anyway, just about to go and do a one hour blast.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

Don't panic, but make sure the turbo is set up.
    Why is Japan on such a different trajectory to everyone else?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pross said:

Don't panic, but make sure the turbo is set up.
    Why is Japan on such a different trajectory to everyone else?
    Perhaps because this is a country where both exaggerated hygiene and the enabling of daily life with minimal human contact are the norm?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    More respirators....?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,918
    edited March 2020
    Japan has closed schools, zoos, museums and theme parks, and drastically scaled back public events since the outbreak. Professional sport has been hit by delays to the start of the baseball, football and rugby seasons, and a major sumo tournament that opened in Osaka at the weekend is being held without spectators for the first time in the sport’s long history.
    Could be a contributory reason.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Currently, I'm going to see Stereophonics at the MEN Friday, Manchester 6-Day Saturday and the rugby cup final on Sunday...

Waiting for any and all of these to be cancelled!

I assume it's only a matter of time. One of my mates (who has a PhD in biology and runs a biotech startup, so you would think reasonably informed) has moved his company to home working and cancelled all business trips already.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Japan may be under-reporting. A week ago they were at 66 tests per mill population, compared to UK 347.

Italy also launched a spectacularly ill-fated Chinese tourism partnership in January
    https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1177070.shtml
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    pblakeney said:

Photo, video or shotgun shooting? 😂

Photo - although at some the latter would be preferable #drunkguestsaresuchfunnoreally
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds

gweeds said:

Riding outside solo is fine right?

I'd say so. I read that in Italy it is discouraged as if you crash, you need medical treatment and anything that reduces pressure on the health system is a good thing. And because travel is only allowed for work situations or emergencies.
    Hadn't even thought about that aspect. A good point.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I'm confused how Serie-A can cancel all footy but still insist on playing the Champions league and Europa league. Please explain this to me..
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

I'm confused how Serie-A can cancel all footy but still insist on playing the Champions league and Europa league. Please explain this to me..

There's no great logic to it, other than the sequencing of matches has more effect on future matches in a knock-out competition.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    edited March 2020

The same reason that although Man City's game against Arsenal if off because some of the Arsenal players met the Olympiakos owner who is confirmed as having contacted coronavirus, whereas the Wolves Europa League game against that same Olympiakos is going ahead as scheduled......take a bow UEFA!!!!
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    UEFA is much more rigid in its structure of matches e.g. they must be played when there are no domestic matches on TV. Arsenal recently had a 4pm kick-off midweek as a result.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    investors in Zwift must be finding it hard not to have a disease spreading high five fest
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I see Getafe are refusing to go to Inter Milan, and the Spanish are refusing entry to Roma, so that's the Europa league done for the year. Unless they give Milan and Roma a bye to the next round and fine Getafe and Sevilla for failing to complete their obligations.
    I expect Uefa will now just suspend the whole thing before it gets messy.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Seems the NBA season is suspended after a player tested positive
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

I've not seen anything to explain why northern Italy has been hit so badly. Anyone know anything about why? I don't necessarily trust the opinion I keep seeing on Twitter that suggests Italy has a better health system and containment than the UK.

- The amount of time it took to identify patient zero and acknowledge the problem
    - The Venice festival
    - Culturally families live together with grandparents and grandchildren in the same house
    - The age of their population in the affected areas

No one reason and nothing to do with their health system, apart from how they originally acted around patient zero
    Seems there are also close links between Wuhan and Milan through the textiles /fashion industry.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gweeds
    I’m still amazed the F1 is going ahead.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    gweeds said:

As it is a sport that totally depends on sponsorship and advertising to be economically viable that doesn’t surprise me at all.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,647
    pblakeney said:

gweeds said:

As it is a sport that totally depends on sponsorship and advertising to be economically viable that doesn’t surprise me at all.
    What, like cycling?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    edited March 2020

pblakeney said:

gweeds said:

What, like cycling?
    True. But the figures are astronomically higher.
    Any decision on the TdF yet? Or the Giro to a lesser extent.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    The London Bike/Triathlon show at the Excel just got postponed ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Mclaren have withdrawn from Sundays GP
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,918
    pat1cp said:

Mclaren have withdrawn from Sundays GP

It sounds like all the drivers are behind calling it quits, if they make that call.
  • gweeds
    La Liga canned for 2 weeks. All Danish football canned until April.

Cheltenham Festival goes ahead. Wales vs Scotland this weekend goes ahead. Confusing times.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not that confusing - we just have an incompetent government.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Gavira confirms he has the virus.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner