Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Friday beers on lockdown in Copenhagen. My favourite craft beer bar is closed, but opened for bottle carry outs from their draught.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702

Or, it still goes ahead for now, at this rate that will change in the next few hours.

And it has.
    However, somehow RL seems immune as their games last night and tonight have gone ahead.

Oh and the badminton too, if anybody is remotely interested.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Flanders is off apparently. Looking for a new date. Roubaix will most likely follow.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    I really fear for radio 5 live. They have so many broadcasters whose sole job is to talk bollocks about what might happen in the football. What will become of all those hours?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Or, it still goes ahead for now, at this rate that will change in the next few hours.

And it has.
    However, somehow RL seems immune as their games last night and tonight have gone ahead.

Oh and the badminton too, if anybody is remotely interested.
    Apparently someone on one of the teams is showing symptoms so they probably didnt have much choice. Even though cold symptoms are hardly remarkable.

I've got my parents staying, it was supposed to be stereophonics, 6 day and the rugby final... I'm really surprised the stereophonics went ahead, I was checking even as we were walking to the venue... they've got two more dates left on the tour in Cardiff, I reckon they won't both happen. Their support act bailed because they were worried about Trump stopping them getting back in!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

I really fear for radio 5 live. They have so many broadcasters whose sole job is to talk bollocks about what might happen in the football. What will become of all those hours?

5 Live have a mountain of podcasts to fall back on and they do news as well as sport. It's Talksport that's going to struggle. Two months of 'would any Man Utd players get in the Liverpool team?'.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    edited March 2020
    RichN95. said:

5 Live have a mountain of podcasts to fall back on and they do news as well as sport. It's Talksport that's going to struggle. Two months of 'would any Man Utd players get in the Liverpool team?'.
    Everyone knows that that can be agreed in one word, no.

They could discuss "how far down the League do you need to go to find a team which a manyoo player would get in?"
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles

Well, seeing that the BBC have replaced today's 6 nations match with a re-hash of weekday, female orientated magazine fluff, I fear for the sanity of the male population the longer this sports quarantine goes on.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    gsk82 said:

RichN95. said:

Everyone knows that that can be agreed in one word, no.

They could discuss "how far down the League do you need to go to find a team which a manyoo player would get in?"
    Talksport seem to have resorted to subjecting their guests to quizzes.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2020
    I predict Japan getting much more Olympics medals than usual.
    What happens if they hold the Olympics and nobody shows up?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2020
    pblakeney said:

I predict Japan getting much more Olympics medals than usual.
    What happens if they hold the Olympics and nobody shows up?

I was thinking today with the near total shut down of sport, a shrewd sports person may deliberately get infected to get it out the way and leave them free to train for the Olympics/Tour/whatever without fear of the virus popping up nearer the time and disrupting training.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Assuming things improve in time then the Tour should be a cracker this year. Everyone should be injury free as there'll be no races for them to crash in and no Giro to split the focus of contenders.

I was thinking yesterday, what would it be like if the Olympics ended up taking place behind closed doors then realised that World Athletics had given us a preview of that by holding the World Champs in Doha.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Proposal: Run the TdF but make it very clear that it's thought likely that coronavirus infection rates will rise and if they do the race will be cancelled at short notice. Result: day after day of bonkers attacks as everyone tries to blag the yellow jersey when it gets canned.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Proposal: Run the TdF but make it very clear that it's thought likely that coronavirus infection rates will rise and if they do the race will be cancelled at short notice. Result: day after day of bonkers attacks as everyone tries to blag the yellow jersey when it gets canned.

A 21 stage 3000km TT. Keep your distance.
  • blazing_saddles
    One easy step that the ASO can take to instantly cut the roadside crowds by 50-60%: Get rid of the publicity caravan.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,917
    Bernard Hinault could get that down another 5% I reckon.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

One easy step that the ASO can take to instantly cut the roadside crowds by 50-60%: Get rid of the publicity caravan.

do people really turn up for that ? Only been once and we were there for the race.

With less chance to flog their wares, the sponsors would want a reduction
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020
    sherer said:

do people really turn up for that ? Only been once and we were there for the race.

With less chance to flog their wares, the sponsors would want a reduction
    https://inrng.com/2015/07/tour-caravan-show-marketing/

Which bring us to the exodus of day trippers. The sun was beating down and they’d got their of freebies and it was time to go home. The race itself just didn’t interest them, here was a chance to get a few free pens, sweets, hats and washing powder. It’s not just anecdotal, there’s data too with surveys by TNS Sofres, a marketing agency, showing the prime motivation behind the decision to go and watch the Tour de France is the publicity caravan itself. Forget illusions of cheering on a local hero or the deity of the maillot jaune, believe the report and the largest segment of the crowd is there for a Bic pen and a Skoda hat and will even go home before the race arrives.

I am sure the ASO put the data out a few years back I just can't remember where I saw it.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    edited March 2020
    Everyone loves a free lunch. Or five, in the case of Ullrich.
  • RichN95.
    Apparently Spain have banned cycling - any of it in their 15 day lockdown. I'm no expert but these lockdowns don't make sense to me. What's the end game?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95. said:

Apparently Spain have banned cycling - any of it in their 15 day lockdown. I'm no expert but these lockdowns don't make sense to me. What's the end game?

Presumably virus goes away = everybody wins?

But seems likely to me that itll just come back as soon as they relax the rules. Although obviously I'm not a virologist or whatever...
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2020

RichN95. said:

But seems likely to me that itll just come back as soon as they relax the rules. Although obviously I'm not a virologist or whatever...
    But it doesn't go away. There's been a lot of criticism of the UK's approach, but it makes so much more sense to me. I think maybe some of the shutdowns may be about elections.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    RichN95. said:

Don’t want A&E services to handle bike accidents
  • pblakeney

RichN95. said:

Don’t want A&E services to handle bike accidents
    That would make more sense if they also banned driving.
    #easytarget
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    And DIY
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited March 2020
    RichN95. said:

They know it doesn't go away, just slows the speed the virus spreads. It's a desperate measure, but one which does appear to have worked in China (so far at least), reducing the number of new cases to more manageable levels.

From the news today Boris is coming under increasing pressure to issue similar emergency measures, essentially confining everyone but essentially healthcare workers and the emergency services to their homes. Although how a food/ supply shortage would still be prevented if this happens I'm not sure.

Would be typical though if this does happen just as the weather is about to improve. End of this week looks lovely and the possibility of riding on dry roads without gale force winds. I can't actually remember the last time I rode in such conditions.

One thing I'm stunned hasn't happened yet is that the likes of zwift and Netflix etc haven't exploited the situation and whacked their prices up!

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,390
    Just read elsewhere that the Welsh Rugby Union have stopped all rugby in Wales at all levels.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    i was expecting a rise in cases from China, now they have lifted restrictions but that doesnt seem to have happened so far.

Thanks for the quotes blazing, that wasnt what I saw last year, but ive only ever seen once stage so dont have much data to go on.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

But it doesn't go away. There's been a lot of criticism of the UK's approach, but it makes so much more sense to me. I think maybe some of the shutdowns may be about elections.
    Full lockdown - only go out of the house for essential purposes - is purely there to reduce demand on health services at peak. It isn't sustainable.

Partial lockdown - as we have here in Denmark (schools closed, public sector workers sent home, anyone that can work from home doing so, bans on mass gatherings) - is to slow the spread so the peak isn't too high to begin with. This can be done for longer periods.

There are, of course, a huge range of measures between these.

The timing of these is essential - too strict too early and you can't sustain it, you relax the rules and get an explosion. Too strict too late and you're left with a peak you can't cope with.

And yes, it *will* come back, it can't be eradicated now without a vaccine (and even then it might be a yearly cycle, like the flu). But there's no evidence that we can develop the famous "herd immunity", so even if you get a massive peak and the entire population gets infected you still have a risk it's coming back (albeit your vulnerable population may not be around to be at risk the second time).

Sorry, I'm not a virologist or an epidemicist either. It makes sense to me to implement the measures that will slow the spread fairly early (partial lockdown) and to try and make sure there's financial support for those with a huge economic risk (I've talked to bar owners and staff, the guy that runs my local coffee shop etc, they're all going to feel it). And I'm *still* arguing with people that think it's basically just the flu.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Reports from Italy (via AP, so presumably reliable) that closing schools drove a 20% jump in cases as people treated it as a holiday and took kids out skiing etc. Just goes to reiterate how much of this is going to be situational and non-perfect (would keeping schools open have been worse in medium term?)