Coronavirus and pro sport

1363738394042»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

A member of my extended family also works in the Olympic Stadium - although I am not sure anything about that West Ham ground is particularly great.

The team's pretty good right now.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    RichN95. said:

A member of my extended family also works in the Olympic Stadium - although I am not sure anything about that West Ham ground is particularly great.

The team's pretty good right now.
    True, true. Everyone's struggling with lack of atmosphere in the stadiums at the moment and West Ham are pretty used to that.

Was a bit squeaky when they looked like getting relegated, as probably would have meant job losses...
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Pross said:

gsk82 said:

JimD666 said:

No international spectators allowed for the Olympics or ParaOlympics. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/56461152

Still can't see it going ahead, and not sure if I was an athlete I would want to attend anyway TBH

As I understand it, they had put forward the idea of the 2020 Olympics becoming the 2024 Olympics, and Paris getting bumped back. Apparently it was turned down.
    FWIW, If Tokyo is cancelled, I think the Olympics may limp on for the next couple of editions, with the awarded host cities.
    After that, I can't see anybody being prepared to gamble the sums of money involved.
    The Olympics had become silly. London spent over £9 billion in it. How is that in any way logical? What do you get for that much money other than a few under-used venues and some nice memories. I think it will be massively scaled back over the next few editions.
    For London you get a load of brownfield site redeveloped into housing, schools etc. I'd say the Olympics were the trigger for a good redevelopment scheme in a rundown area.
    I know quite a few people who live in the former Olympic village. One of my best mates from school lives in a flat that was used by I think he said a field team from an African country. I tend to get out there whenever I am down in London as he's now got 2 kids as well (and a few nights out in Hackney Wick). A member of my extended family also works in the Olympic Stadium - although I am not sure anything about that West Ham ground is particularly great. The swimming centre is pretty well used from what I could see the one time I went, no idea about the velodrome but the outdoor track there seems to be about as well used as anywhere else.

It's definitely had a lasting effect - and I don't know enough about the accounting (i.e., what private investment went into those flats) but £9b for that redevelopment doesn't sound like terrible value. It's a really big development that has contributed a lot of accommodation within reach of central London that while still eye wateringly expensive to my eyes is more affordable than a lot of what is in London (and a lot of the flats were sold on a part ownership scheme).
    The velodrome's great, been a couple of times for 6 Day London. A few friends have done track days there too.

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    The Volta Valenciana that was postponed in February has been given a new date: April 14th-18th.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited March 2021
    https://sporza.be/nl/2021/03/22/kan-parijs-roubaix-doorgaan-de-hemel-ziet-er-minder-blauw-uit~1616402638741/

Local authorities not optimistic about PR..

“The sky doesn’t look so blue”
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    For. The. Sake. Of. Fuck.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    FML 🙄😭
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632

https://sporza.be/nl/2021/03/22/kan-parijs-roubaix-doorgaan-de-hemel-ziet-er-minder-blauw-uit~1616402638741/

Local authorities not optimistic about PR..

“The sky doesn’t look so blue”

A lot of the usual crowds are Belgium rather than local French folks aren't they? On the one hand I can see they don't want to tempt people to be travelling across borders. On the other - a sensible approach of discouraging people coming along with making sure those that do end up road / pave side are well spread out (it's not like they're rammed together in an indoor venue) could allow it to happen.

I'd be gutted if it's cancelled again - but appreciate plenty of other people have had events / sports cancelled that they enjoy.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,534
    The irony of the phrase "The sky doesn't look so blue" to signal that the race might get cancelled, when in a normal year we'd treat that as a positive sign of a possible wet Roubaix
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gweeds
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    😭😭😭
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    Extremely short notice, but all of the Flanders races now looking precarious.

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/e3-en-gent-wevelgem-vrezen-afgelasting-nu-nieuwe-lockdown-dreigt/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Although personally I think they will be OK.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    gweeds said:
    The Flandrians need to raise an army and capture North-west France. This is getting serious.

I did actually share a house once with a Mauritian-born guy who told a story of having to do French National Service , during which he and 2 other accidently crossed the French / Belgian border whilst bored on night duty and went into a bar (note they were carrying side arms).

Conversation went something like:

"3 beers please"
    "xxx francs"
    "xxx francs?"
    (barman clocks the uniforms....) "Belgian Francs......"
    "This is Belgium?"
    "Yes.... you are French Army, and you've entered Belgium, with guns?"
    "Oops, bye!"
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Not a surprise really; it seems true that it's more important to Belgians, than to the French - who only seem to really care for one race.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • blazing_saddles
    Yup. Certainly a French solution to the problem.
    Cancelling a "behind closed doors" race being much more effective at bringing infection rates down than say...............having a proper strategy for vaccinating the population.
  • gweeds
    And not having someone like Macron who seems determined to knacker the AZ vaccine at every turn whilst also demanding more of it.

Schrodinger’s syringe.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    edited March 2021
    It really just shows the incompetence and arrogance of absolutely everyone in politics. The Mayor Madsen of Rostock in Germany is member of no political party, had 100 days experience in office prior to the Covid 19 outbreak, used to sell furniture before and has done a better job in office and for his city than anyone else in office in Germany. 🙄

I nominate him for No_Ta_Doctor's Viking thread.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited April 2021
    So, FINA have cancelled the Diving World Cup due in Tokyo due to the hosts having "poor COVID-19" precautions.

Hmmm. Bodes well for the Olympics then....Oh. Wait.....

EDIT: Link for more info. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/diving/56614122
  • ddraver
    The Fort William World Cup has been cancelled too...nowhere is 'safe'
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Meanwhile, Leinster v Toulon called off because of a case in the French club and Tendulkar has been taken to hospital a week after announcing he'd tested positive.
  • blazing_saddles
    Oh dear, never mind, they can always watch the whole of those third week mountain stages of the Giro...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/56631267
  • ddraver
    It's wrong to be pleased by that isn't it... 😶
    - @ddraver