Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Players Championship golf now called off altogether. They had initially announced that the last 3 days would have no spectators but no more golf now it seems.

Bit of a shame, I was quite looking forward to watching it without the ever present shouts of "get in the hole" and "mashed potato".
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    edited March 2020
    So, it turns out that none of the Belgian races posted above as cancelled, are officially cancelled as yet.

Yesterday, all was normal, the event taking place with packed Floridian (old folks) crowds. Today, the Players Championship got cancelled after one round.

Not sure how football fans will cope, given their is a live televised match almost every day of the year.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    I'd suspect teams have started preemptively testing their players
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

So, it turns out that none of the Belgian races posted above as cancelled, are officially cancelled as yet.

Feels like more teams will pull out and make the decisions for them now.

Cycling has the advantage of not being stadium based, but the riders surely won't be keen.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    gweeds said:

Cycling has the advantage of not being stadium based, but the riders surely won't be keen.
    I’d imagine mostly due to pre and post race activities rather than the race itself. Although snot shots now have a new perspective.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    gweeds said:

I will post this although again I haven't seen confirmation:

All races in Belgium are now officially cancelled until the 3th of April. So no decision over Ronde van Vlaanderen yet.

From the CN forum, this morning.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    gsk82 said:

Pross said:

I don't understand the Pro 14 being cancelled, I thought it was only mass social gatherings that were supposed to be affected.

Rugby Union is all about giving the impression that it's big and popular.

Nice.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Premier league and EFL football gone for three weeks.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Giro no longer starting in Hungary.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

gsk82 said:

Pross said:

I don't understand the Pro 14 being cancelled, I thought it was only mass social gatherings that were supposed to be affected.

Rugby Union is all about giving the impression that it's big and popular.

Nice.
    More likely Lyon. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    well ive not got the weekend off due to Australian F1 being called off. Turns out cancelling a race takes a lot more work than ust saying lets not race. If the Oz government had called it off for us that would have made things easier.

National League matches are still on and my local side pull in 2k crowds so not sure if that is sensible, but can the clubs that low down keep going without gate receipts.

hoping not promotes or sports organisations go bust over this
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    sherer said:

well ive not got the weekend off due to Australian F1 being called off. Turns out cancelling a race takes a lot more work than ust saying lets not race. If the Oz government had called it off for us that would have made things easier.

National League matches are still on and my local side pull in 2k crowds so not sure if that is sensible, but can the clubs that low down keep going without gate receipts.

hoping not promotes or sports organisations go bust over this

I heard some talk on Radio 5 this morning where they were saying that clubs would rather games be postponed than played behind closed doors as at least there is a chance of playing them and getting the income at some point whereas a closed door game gets no income (and, presumably, some limited costs to put on).

The rugby club I support has won their league for the past 3 seasons and been denied promotion for various reasons. They are currently top again having won every game this season but I can see the rest of the league getting cancelled and therefore a decision being made that, yet again, they won't get promoted.

If the Premiership ended up being cancelled I wonder if they'd declare the current positions to be final? It would be harsh on Liverpool to be virtually home and dry with 10 games left and not finally get the elusive title but even if the were awarded it people would pass it off as 'that year they won the title because the league got cancelled and they may have been caught'.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Manchester 6-Day cancelled, boo. I was looking forward to that.

But the Rugby cup final on Sunday still goes ahead, I'd rather it was the other way round.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Or, it still goes ahead for now, at this rate that will change in the next few hours.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

Not sure how football fans will cope, given their is a live televised match almost every day of the year.

Pretty sure most of them will fill their days adequately by baiting Liverpool fans about failing to win the Premier League. If you actually ever dip into football Twitter it's painfully obvious that the actual football isn't really any part of it...

• blazing_saddles
    I predict a steep rise in alcoholism in the coming weeks.
  • blazing_saddles
    Wales v Scotland now cancelled too.
    Stupid to leave it until all the Scots were either in Cardiff or on their way, though.

The Masters also cancelled.
  • gweeds
    Women’s Tour (June) postponed.

Swiss measures announced mean Romandie is unlikely.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

Wales v Scotland now cancelled too.
    Stupid to leave it until all the Scots were either in Cardiff or on their way, though.

The Masters also cancelled.

Masters is postponed.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • gweeds
    France and the Fédération Française de Cyclisme cancel all races (pro-amateur, road, mtb, track) starting now until further notice.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    gweeds said:

Women’s Tour (June) postponed.

:( And the Tour Series fwiw
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

You know they shut the bars in Belgium, home brew kits are the way forward :)
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    awavey said:

You know they shut the bars in Belgium, home brew kits are the way forward :)
    Jeez. End of days.

Valencia trip in 2 weeks - highly unlikely.
    Belgium trip end of April...? Who know, but if the bars and restaurants are closed...
  • blazing_saddles
    London Marathon just added to the postponed list.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031

Though if workers are self isolating there may be a shortage of alcoholic drinks - less supply and more people drinking at home?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • tailwindhome
    US Masters golf is postponed
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154

London Marathon just added to the postponed list.

I've got a marathon the same day, I'm hoping they cancel early before I waste another long run!