Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Indeed.

Trofeo Binda officially postponed until June 2nd.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    In bad times it's good to have a laugh to chapeau to UK Cycling Expert for dubbing the French team in quarantine COVID-IS
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    RichN95. said:

In bad times it's good to have a laugh to chapeau to UK Cycling Expert for dubbing the French team in quarantine COVID-IS

Chateau, surely.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Milan–San Remo has still not officially been called off, right? I have plans surrounding that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

Milan–San Remo has still not officially been called off, right? I have plans surrounding that.

I'd be very very surprised if it happens.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

I'd be very very surprised if it happens.

The current rumour doing the rounds is that Tirreno will be held 14th-20th October with Milan-San Remo on the 24th.
    That's 10 days after Lombardy, which seems a lot to me.

Ironically, it may be because of the last stage race taking part in China during the interim week.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    No team is going to travel to Northern Italy in two weeks time, surely.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Movistar latest team to take a break.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Obviously the situation is still in flux and subject to government intervention, but Paris-Nice goes ahead. Now with 19 teams of 8, rather than 7 riders and 2 new wild cards.

Line ups therefore subject to change. Quick step have already moved in a number of their big classics boys.
    Alaphilippe
    Lampaert
    Bennett
    Stybar
    Asgreen
    Jungels
    Moerkoev

Sagan, Bardet, Van Aert and Viviani also making the swap.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/Romain-bardet-peter-sagan-elia-viviani-et-wout-van-aert-presents-a-paris-nice/1116698
    PN could end up being the best stage race of the year!
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020

Movistar latest team to take a break.

Indeed, although it makes sense for them. They aren't exactly up for the Northern classics at the best of times.
    I get the feeling a few more teams are still debating this option and they may start with a field of 100 riders or less.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    edited March 2020
    The BBC are reporting that MSR is cancelled. postponed.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    If the Giro gets cancelled or postponed it raises tantalising prospect of all the GT riders/teams targeting the Tour.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2020

If the Giro gets cancelled or postponed it raises tantalising prospect of all the GT riders/teams targeting the Tour.

Too many cooks spoiling the broth methinks.
    Giro di Sicilia also cancelled/postponed.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

But as has been pointed out elswhere the Tour ends less than a week before the Olympics start, so it's an either/or decison for riders choosing between the two.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    mrfpb said:

But as has been pointed out elswhere the Tour ends less than a week before the Olympics start, so it's an either/or decison for riders choosing between the two.
    Why?
  • blazing_saddles
    Jumbo-Visma pulls out of Paris-Nice.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    david37 said:

PN could end up being the only stage race of the year!

FTFY 😢😢😢

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    They should just hold them all on Zwift. They could actually do something silly on Zwift racing anyway actually, not like there's anything else going on and they want to stay fit.

Similarly I am now holding a 3 day workshop with Singapore by Skype which means midnight till 10am for 3 days :)
  • blazing_saddles
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    The revised line up for P-N is looking quite interesting under the circumstances... several left-field GT GC guys who'd normally be doing their utmost to slip under the radar [whilst the juggernaut GC teams - the now absent Ineos, Movistar, Astana and J-V would've done their usual domination of the T-A and P-N podiums] will be obliged to turn up and actually perform...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Is the Scotland - France women's 6 nations matchthe first international match to be called off because one of the players has COVID?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    a rider on his own doing a recon is different to a race with big crowds all in the same place
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750

Is the Scotland - France women's 6 nations matchthe first international match to be called off because one of the players has COVID?

They were in northern Italy a couple of weeks ago so not that surprising.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    So Maku Vunipola isn’t playing for England today as he’d self-isolated after a transit in HK for a flight.

Instead he’s playing for Saracens.

Wtf.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    gweeds said:

So Maku Vunipola isn’t playing for England today as he’d self-isolated after a transit in HK for a flight.

Wtf.

Supposed to self isolate for 14 days? Not unlikely England told him he would definitely be out of the team due to not being able to train with them for the whole training camp before the Wales game and released him, but Saracens are happy to chuck him in now that he's clear (or has perhaps tested clear?). Seems odd on first glance, but it's probably legit.

We know that Saracens only have about five players on their books anyway, according to their calculations for the wage cap, so they need everyone they can get (and in any event, it's props you often run out of, so one more won't hurt).
  • blazing_saddles
    gweeds said:

Wtf.

He was told to self isolate by England management, who have since been criticised by Public Health England.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51771924
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    The one sportsman who is safe from the virus is Leigh Halfpenny, because he can't catch anything at the moment.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    RichN95. said:

The one sportsman who is safe from the virus is Leigh Halfpenny, because he can't catch anything at the moment.

Harsh!
    Worrying moment again for George North.
  • FdJ only just leaving UAE today. Madiots got the champagne in 👍😊